RIP Fox Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiger 19

Debutant
Dec 8, 2005
Other Teams
Richmond
News through that Fox Footy will shut down after the GF.

IF Fox get any rights next year, games will be on Fox Sports 3 - but no guarantees for WLF, or On the Couch etc.

I will say this - if Fox do not get Live Footy, they can come and get my set top box straight away as the rest of Foxtel is garbage that is not worth $40 a month.

Tiger 19 said:
News through that Fox Footy will shut down after the GF.

IF Fox get any rights next year, games will be on Fox Sports 3 - but no guarantees for WLF, or On the Couch etc.

I will say this - if Fox do not get Live Footy, they can come and get my set top box straight away as the rest of Foxtel is garbage that is not worth $40 a month.

I agree Tiger 19.

This is a very disappointing result for all AFL fans. The rival media consortiums have been using AFL (and sport in general) as a very expensive playground to wave their wangs at each other for many years now and the fans are the big loser out of the latest powerplay.
The game's promotion suffers, and whilst I'm aware the AFL can't directly negotiate with Fox due to current media laws, the AFL must not be happy about this outcome. Perhaps the fact they could see this outcome a mile away is the reason they are so keen on the size of the future fund, because they are going to need to find some new avenues to market the game with the demise of FOX footy.

Tiger 19 said:
...I will say this - if Fox do not get Live Footy, they can come and get my set top box straight away as the rest of Foxtel is garbage that is not worth $40 a month.
Same here. I recently upgraded to digital and have 3 connections in my house. Not interested in continuing if there's no 24/7 access to AFL. Infuriating.

Pugsta said:
Same here. I recently upgraded to digital and have 3 connections in my house. Not interested in continuing if there's no 24/7 access to AFL. Infuriating.

This is my major problem with Foxtel. They can change the conditions of the service while you are still locked into a contract and there isn't much you can do about it. There will be other options in the not too distant future and Foxtel will wondering why they have lost a large portion of their customers.

OldSchool said:
This is my major problem with Foxtel. They can change the conditions of the service while you are still locked into a contract and there isn't much you can do about it. There will be other options in the not too distant future and Foxtel will wondering why they have lost a large portion of their customers.
Yes, they get you by the short and curlies. Fortunately I am not locked into a contract and the upgrade cost me $0 - thanks to my brother who gave me the heads up when Fox offered a deal a couple of months ago. Foxtel had been pushing the digital bandwagon long and hard but it was too expensive for the hardware (wireless in my case) so I kept putting it off. Apparently analogue will be gone early next year and they no longer offer service (replacement remotes, box set repairs etc) for analogue subscribers. I was just happy to get the digital upgrade and equipment for no additional cost (the monthly subscription rate increased by $3.00).

However, without Fox Footy Channel I am not interested in forking out my hard earned each month (despite the cries of horror from the rest of the household).

The reasons behind the end of Fox Footy Channel sound very complicated to me. I'm not sure who I should be annoyed the most with - 7 & 10, the AFL or Foxtel. Very muddy issue. Bottom line for me, as a footy watcher, is no more access to all that extra footy news and footage. The FTA channels just don't offer the straight up footy stuff that Fox Footy does. Too focused on their "stable of stars". Cult of personality. Blah, blah, blah. I'm so ****ed off :mad:

Luckily my Foxtel contract is up at the end of the season.

The CEO from Foxtel said that the offer put to 7 and 10 was the same that had been agreed to by PBL, so they weren't trying to shaft them. As much as I can't stand 9 - not sure how its their fault?

It does make the Governments protection laws look stupid. So, if 7 and 10 now have to do every game, is there any restriction on when they have to show them.

I actually prefer my team to be televised on Fox than 9 or 10 as you see it live and uninterupted, with decent callers (except Matty Campbell & KB).

I guess Clinton's a moral to sign up with 7 now.

I'm gutted - no more Sarah Jones on my TV

Tiger 19 said:
Luckily my Foxtel contract is up at the end of the season.

I purposely didn't upgrade to digital earlier in the year as I was waiting to see what was going to happen with the footy side of things. I have Optus Cable and the Fox Footy Channel is part of the package. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

kookadog said:
Even worse for those of us in Sydney. All we get is "our swans" give me a bucket. Fox footy was great.

Yep - I bet the AFL wish they had read the fine print when they signed the deal with 7 and 10.

The guy from Darwin before on WLF was saying how they don't get both 7 and 10 up there, and without Fox Footy they're screwed.

Given the centrepiece of the deal for the AFL was no TV blackspots and coverage of footy in the rugby states - it sure looks like backfiring.

Even if they do sell some games to ESPN or Fox Sports 3 - I agree, its not going to be the same. No replays, no white line fever etc.

A real shame for footy fans. But since when have we meant more than the almighty dollar?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's official now?

Just watching the CEO on WLF now, sounds like a complete cop out to me, I'm completly ****ed.

It is just such a shame, when there is increasing competition from Soccer, Super 12 and rugby league that the Australian National game has taken such a hit. We need it nationally on the tele as much as possible. Many people in Northern States relied on this.
If you have the internet I can recommend the AFL for games yet the quality is average and big pond support is useless. If you have a problem sort it out yourself.

Very sad indeed. Interstate supporters really relied on fox footy to keep up with the AFL. Its just not the games, but also all the other shows that go with it. I was reading the blog on the age website regarding this topic. Seems alot of people will be cancelling their foxtel.

John Gent said:
Can someone explain to me what Fox Sports 3 is all about?
Same deal as Fox 1 and 2, it will be used to host live A-League matches, Super 14's etc when other sports are occupying the other 2 channels. Foxtel has the rights for cricket, NRL, EPL, golf, tennis, English 1st Division, Asian Champions League, socceroo matches, A League and needed to introduce a 3rd sports channel so they can screen most of it live.

Not a good sign for AFL really to come back to the pack like this really.

Not good at all, also means no individual state Footy channels, and few if any replays due to having to share air time with other sports. Not good for the game.

The AFL is being punished for trying to make some extra bucks. Look at what the selling of games of basketball and baseball to Foxtel did to these sports in Australia..... Noone knows anything about them anymore. In my opinion they shouldn't have sold so many games to Foxtel in the first place.

For a start I always have to go to the pub or to a mates place to watch the Doggies play, as they're very rarely on free to air. (Sad seeming that most people think they're one of the most exciting teams to watch, and most of the public won't even get to see them). The AFL has got themselves into this mess chasing thet extra buck. Give more games to free to air stations.

The AFL should give up on Fox, or make them pay massive $$$ if they want to be involved, as most of the public won't get to see these games, and that can't be good for footy.

djcolbung said:
The AFL is being punished for trying to make some extra bucks. Look at what the selling of games of basketball and baseball to Foxtel did to these sports in Australia..... Noone knows anything about them anymore. In my opinion they shouldn't have sold so many games to Foxtel in the first place.

For a start I always have to go to the pub or to a mates place to watch the Doggies play, as they're very rarely on free to air. (Sad seeming that most people think they're one of the most exciting teams to watch, and most of the public won't even get to see them). The AFL has got themselves into this mess chasing thet extra buck. Give more games to free to air stations.

The AFL should give up on Fox, or make them pay massive $$$ if they want to be involved, as most of the public won't get to see these games, and that can't be good for footy.
For me personally, it's not just about the actual game coverage. I liked all the other stuff that was on Fox Footy - White Line Fever, Fox League Teams, On the Couch, Grumpy Old Men and Saturday Central. Lots of interviews with different coaches, players, club people. Good news coverage, even in depth injury updates. Headliners is also a good show. FTA channels just don't offer indepth analysis of games - they just seem to focus on the 'personalities' (I use that term loosely) of their presenters and a few select players. I will really miss all that additional coverage of the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Fox Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back