RIP Keith Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

I had the great pleasure of meeting his 'partner in crime' Ray Lindwall, along with Neil Harvey, some years ago. They were true gentlemen.

When the subject of Keith Miller came up the smiles on their faces broadened.

A wartime fighter pilot, a great cricketer and, so everyone says, a good man to be around.

May the turf lie lightly upon him.

Keith Miller's playing career was over long before my first cricket memories kicked in but I do remember him commentating on the ABC test coverage during the Packer years.

You could always rely on him for a controversial comment especially in the post lunch session when his like for a beer was obvious to all the viewers!!!

But in my family house, my parents would never hear a bad word about Keith, he could do no wrong in their eyes.

From what I have read he didn't care about stats. and he always played the game in great spirit.

Rest in peace Keith Miller, a truly great Australian sportsman.

Was in a great mood this afternoon till i heard this. This is very sad.

If anyone else watches "the back page" on Foxtel that's pre recorded earlier in the day and by co-incidence they mentioned him, i forget why his name was raised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a lifelong family friend. I last spoke to him at my great uncle's funeral a few years ago. He was simply the greatest person you could have ever meet.

Vale Keith Miller.

Always remembered.

"I'll tell you what pressure is,"
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."

Great line

I am too young even to have heard, or at least recognised, Keith Miller on the ABC, but as a cricket fan I feel an immense sadness at his passing.
All I know of Nugget are the stories from the pages of newspapers and cricket history books - there is also of course that emminently recognisable photo of the firebrand at the bowling crease.

A great player and by all accounts a great man.

Do you think he'll be having a convo with Don about now?

sad day it was. true champion in every sense of the word!!

i dont know if any adelaide people heard RIchie Benaud on the radio last night... i only caught bits and pieces of the stories told but they were quite funny!

Like the time when miller was captain of his state team and when they walked out onto the field and the players asked him where they wanted them to field and he just said spread out.. so they did and he proceeded to take something liek 8 wickets!

or when Miller was bowling to SA in a shield game and he had friends come over from SA to watch him play, SA went in at 0/10 at stumps.. his friends rocked up to the ground a bit late the next day and looked up at the scoreboard and saw SA were still 0/10. they thought yeah, we are going along slow but atleast we are surviving... untilt hey realised it was the 2nd innings and SA had already been bowled out for 27 in the 1st innings! with Miller taking something like 9 wickets!

great man!

Blue Boyz said:
From what I have read he didn't care about stats. and he always played the game in great spirit.

Over here in England you get a sense of how loved he was by English people(it was mutual) & some of the stories about him that have been writen show what a great bloke & a character he was.

On the subject of not giving a monkey's about stats, they mentioned a game against Essex in 1948 when Australia were bowled out in a day for the only time in the whole summer but still managed to score a (still) world record (in a day) 721.

Keith Miller came in at about 360/2, it was obviously carnage with the Essex bowlers taking a pounding, he'd been happily playing cards all day in the pavillion so he took gaurd for his first ball, allowed himself to be bowled out & jauntily walked back to the pavillion with Bradman at the other end incandescent with rage telling the bowler Trevor Bailey that 'he'll learn', thankfully it seems he never did learn Bradman's rather cold hearted take on the world.

Another story was him bowling to Bradman in the Don's own testimonial game, it said 'where Bradman may have expected one off the mark he found his head nearly being taken off with a lethal bouncer'. :D

RooDog said:
sad day it was. true champion in every sense of the word!!

Like the time when miller was captain of his state team and when they walked out onto the field and the players asked him where they wanted them to field and he just said spread out.. so they did and he proceeded to take something liek 8 wickets!

Oh mate I read this one as well & it's even funnier, apparently he lead them onto the field & one of his teammates shouted out 'We've got 12 players skipper!'

To which KM let out a little cough & then shouted out without turning round 'OK one of you blokes f*** off & the rest of you scatter'

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Keith Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

Back