AFL Toast RND 10: Dreamtime Winning

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't normally read oppo autopsies but made an exception. Tuggers are a special breed.

I'm still beaming. Love that they refused to lose. Previously a goal like Dusty's would've deflated us and that would be the game.

We do need to be smarter around the contest, particularly when the ball isn't won, but good signs ahead.

Hobbs is something else. I also love seeing Pidge in his element, such an athletic beast.

Also, Rioli AA? Please, Redman is better.

We are the MSD kings and you can't change my mind.
I may be biased but I too have started reading oppo boards recently and we seem a lot more sane/level headed than most boards I have visited so far, IDK if the mods are to thank but it's great.

Caldwell had a pretty good game but gee he panics and kicks it badly wrong foot around the corner anywhere on the ground, too often. He isn't the only one either. If we can fix those dump kicks and dumb goals we give up, we might actually go ok. Really deserved to win this given opportunities we created. 2MP will make a big difference too.
I'll add, some kicks on our defensive arc are a shade high, allowing their forwards time to turn it into a contest. Need to be lower, flatter and harder and minimise the risk of turnover.

I may be biased but I too have started reading oppo boards recently and we seem a lot more sane/level headed than most boards I have visited so far, IDK if the mods are to thank but it's great.
Mods certainly do things to try and help (and we certainly try not to personally make things worse), but I think you can’t underestimate the value of having good posters who know things and can explain things they’re seeing in a game (particularly structure and system), people who watch 2s or u18s, pressers and interviews, cuts of footage or analyse stats, who know the rules backwards and how they are interpreted, and are willing to share what they know for the benefit of the rest of us.

We are not always a level-headed board, but having all of those posters means there’s a level-headed angle on most discussions… and when that fails we have a few larrikins that lift the mood too and I reckon that’s just as valuable, probably more so when things aren’t going our way and we aren’t winning clutch.

Imagine topping up for a tilt at the flag and sitting 14th after round 10 🤣
Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

I venture to the Collginwood board a fair bit they have several posters who are well educated and enjoy reading breakdowns of not only AFL players but ones coming through in VFL and underage systems

I'm a Richmond supporter and was watching this on TV.
Although we didn't win, I wanted to congratulate Essendon for breaking their losing streak against Richmond.
Thanks mate all class. I've read your autopsy thread and im a little disappointed with some posters potting your club and players. I know its heat of the moment stuff and we all have idiots but having said that, you guys just won 3 flags. I'd be very proud of that and what is going on right now is part of the cycle.

Thanks again and the Tigers will be back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe the abuse their Prem players and coach were copping who have won them three flags in the last six years! Extraordinary

Good to get a win. These are the games we should be winning as they are teams at around our level. We can play with fire with our team defense but if they can continue to progress the plan it should be solid enough going forward. At the moment we are relying a bit too much as far as intercept inside the back 50 but we are getting the numbers back most of the time. The natural progression will be to tighten it up a bit so the intercept is more 80 meters from goal which we did do at times last night. It is interesting to watch it from a raised level. You could see them allowing Richmond the short sideways kick so they could set the defense further up the ground. Still a work in progress but you can see what they are working on.

Loved the Davey kick into the open 50 to keep the game moving. Kaos is good.

Although we will not be able to play the kick mark game to win week in and week out it is good we can use it to try and control the game. We will have to tidy up the fast handball game as that will be how we get a point of difference / balance in our play.

I thought that having Baldwin helped our structure. He was solid himself but having him and BZT as the KP defenders allowed Ridley to play a lot more intercept.

Captain was sensational. Stood up big time.

Caldwell was impressive. I was wondering a bit at exactly where he was at.

Hobbs showed what we can get with him having time in the middle

Hepp stood up.

Thought Perkins did some good stuff through the middle despite a couple of hiccups .

BZT great.

McGrath great.

Wiedeman was good. He will never be the bloke who will take a lot of contested marks but he is a decent player if you can get him out on the lead.

Alwyn JNR may be a bit light right now but you can see the scope he has. The most impressive thing for me is you can see how well he sets up and works with team mates in the defensive set up. He may need to rest the shoulder up a bit but right now I would say we have seen enough for him to have a bit of a rest and maybe get back later in the season.

Durham / Martin / Langford can certainly rotate forward and wing if we need them to.

Menzie is a small lead up forward more than a crumbing small forward.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast RND 10: Dreamtime Winning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back