Preview Rnd 12 Geelong V Richmond, Sat 1st June 2024, 7:30pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a couple of weeks in the VFL would be good for Cam Guthrie. He needs to be up and running before he plays AFL. We won't beat Sydney anyway, no point Guthrie or Dangerfield coming back for that game.
I agree that a couple of weeks in the twos for Guth would have been beneficial. But I imagine that he'll be back in the ones straight after the AFL bye if he performs decently. After all, the VFL boys also have another bye on the week off for the seniors. So we can't get two VFL games into him before the Blues game. :(

And I absolutely agree with you about the Sydney game. Need to hold back both of our midfield prime movers and play the long game. The only way we're even competitive later in the year is to have both of them up and going then. So the Swans game just becomes an exercise in percentage protection before we look to launch some sort of revival with a passable midfield in the second half of the season.

So if we can't beat this mob at home with 15 premiership players in our team, we seriously should start preseason training when the boys head in on Monday.

I agree with your post - if Geel cant beat a seriously injury depleted Rich , then its nearly time to give up . Ithink the only qualification to that is given how Geel have been chasing big h/t deficits - you would like in this game that Geel start well and play a good 1st half , and are not behind at h/t

However re your point , 15 premiership players , i watched last weekend the Crows v Eagles game in SA , and the Crows flogged them to the tune of 99 pts , and i think it was Brian Taylor in the call said this ( deplorable ) West Coast team has got 10 Premiership players plus Kelly - didnt do them much good tho

I agree with your post - if Geel cant beat a seriously injury depleted Rich , then its nearly time to give up . Ithink the only qualification to that is given how Geel have been chasing big h/t deficits - you would like in this game that Geel start well and play a good 1st half , and are not behind at h/t

However re your point , 15 premiership players , i watched last weekend the Crows v Eagles game in SA , and the Crows flogged them to the tune of 99 pts , and i think it was Brian Taylor in the call said this ( deplorable ) West Coast team has got 10 Premiership players plus Kelly - didnt do them much good tho
We've got 15 premiership players from less than two years ago in this week's side. They had two-thirds of that number, featured from a flag that came nearly six years ago.

I don't really think the comparison is that close.

I agree that a couple of weeks in the twos for Guth would have been beneficial. But I imagine that he'll be back in the ones straight after the AFL bye if he performs decently. After all, the VFL boys also have another bye on the week off for the seniors. So we can't get two VFL games into him before the Blues game. :(

And I absolutely agree with you about the Sydney game. Need to hold back both of our midfield prime movers and play the long game. The only way we're even competitive later in the year is to have both of them up and going then. So the Swans game just becomes an exercise in percentage protection before we look to launch some sort of revival with a passable midfield in the second half of the season.

Sounds like they had planned on playing him in the VFL this week - so wouldn't be surprised if he played VFL next week

“We were optimistic he would play some VFL time for match practice this week but hadn’t come up well enough to do that, so we’ll hold him back likely for one more week.”

So you're telling me through all the shit years under Ramos, Jol, Santini etc you didn't have less than favourable views on the crabs that played in those teams?

Why should this club be any different? Where is there a requirement that every player gets the happy clapper treatment?
I have often had less than favourable views on players. Especially under Ramos but that is a discussion for another day.

I was simply answering your question as to why so many on this board supported “average players”. And the answer is obvious - supporters are often going to unequivocally support players from their team. It often doesn’t follow logic because footy for most is an emotional connection and we protect our own.

It doesn’t make it right or wrong, and you are entitled to do it differently, but I don’t think you should be surprised that Geelong supporters will support Geelong players.

Stanley to play limited VFL this week and Guth to play VFL next week. With Stanley most likely to play vs Sydney. - Scotty

So are they sort of admitting they stuffed up Cam by bringing him straight back into the AFL without any game time?

I mean, if he's injured now and they are going to give him a run in the VFL once fit, then why didn't the same happen a month ago?

I have often had less than favourable views on players. Especially under Ramos but that is a discussion for another day.

I was simply answering your question as to why so many on this board supported “average players”. And the answer is obvious - supporters are often going to unequivocally support players from their team. It often doesn’t follow logic because footy for most is an emotional connection and we protect our own.

It doesn’t make it right or wrong, and you are entitled to do it differently, but I don’t think you should be surprised that Geelong supporters will support Geelong players.
The context was surrounding a man from Champion Data talking to Cornes and Healy on radio about our struggles (midfield), where we did well to get to 7-0 and what we should do going forward. Contending not going back to two players who've failed, one of which we did end up selecting.

This perfectly reasonable analysis was met with derision in the defence of those two players. One of which is now in his free agency year and has been a player ranging from crap to below average through out.

Blindly supporting young players and wishing them well is one thing. unequivocal support for 100+ game crab is becoming more and more maddening by the month.

I was wondering why people weren't more concerned by the recent string of losses. With our favourable draw we can still get back on track. Assuming we don't deteriorate further, and we get a few players back, and not too many injuries.

The run home...

R12 Richmond W
R13 Sydney SCG L
8 and 5
R14 Bye
R15 Carlton MCG L
R16 Essendon MCG L
R17 Hawthorn GMHBA W
R18 Collingwood MCG L
R19 Bulldogs GMHBA W
10 and 8
R20 North Melbourne Hobart W
R21 Adelaide GMHBA W
R22 Dockers Optus-WA L
R23 St Kilda Marvel W
R24 Eagles GMHBA W
14 and 9

We had a relatively easy draw this year. I was hopeful for 2024 based on that.

Going on last years ladder, with 14 wins we'd finish just outside the top 4. So all is not lost, yet.

2023 Ladder​

TEAM
P​
W​
L​
PTS​
%​
1​
COLL
23​
18​
5​
72​
127​
2​
BL
23​
17​
6​
68​
123.1​
3​
PORT
23​
17​
6​
68​
112.7​
4​
MELB
23​
16​
7​
64​
125.2​
5​
CARL
23​
13​
9​
54​
113.3​
6​
STK
23​
13​
10​
52​
107.8​
7​
GWS
23​
13​
10​
52​
107.1​
8​
SYD
23​
12​
10​
50​
110​
9​
WB
23​
12​
11​
48​
108.7​
10​
ADEL
23​
11​
12​
44​
116.8​
11​
ESS
23​
11​
12​
44​
89.7​
12​
GEEL
23​
10​
12​
42​
112.6​

Last edited:
I was wondering why people weren't more concerned by the recent string of losses. With our favourable draw we can still get back on track. Assuming we don't deteriorate further, and we get a few players pack, and not too many injuries.

The run home...

R12 Richmond W
R13 Sydney SCG L
8 and 5
R14 Bye
R15 Carlton MCG L
R16 Essendon MCG L
R17 Hawthorn GMHBA W
R18 Collingwood MCG L
R19 Bulldogs GMHBA W
10 and 8
R20 North Melbourne Hobart W
R21 Adelaide GMHBA W
R22 Dockers Optus-WA L
R23 St Kilda Marvel W
R24 Eagles GMHBA W
14 and 9

We had a relatively easy draw this year. I was hopeful for 2024 based on that.

Going on last years ladder, with 14 wins we'd finish just outside the top 4. So all is not lost, yet.

Ladder​

TEAM
P​
W​
L​
PTS​
%​
1​
COLL
23​
18​
5​
72​
127​
2​
BL
23​
17​
6​
68​
123.1​
3​
PORT
23​
17​
6​
68​
112.7​
4​
MELB
23​
16​
7​
64​
125.2​
5​
CARL
23​
13​
9​
54​
113.3​
6​
STK
23​
13​
10​
52​
107.8​
7​
GWS
23​
13​
10​
52​
107.1​
8​
SYD
23​
12​
10​
50​
110​
9​
WB
23​
12​
11​
48​
108.7​
10​
ADEL
23​
11​
12​
44​
116.8​
11​
ESS
23​
11​
12​
44​
89.7​
12​
GEEL
23​
10​
12​
42​
112.6​
Think we'll get the bombers.
12-3 against the Dons under Scott. Last loss in 2018.

Until the prove they can beat us I'll back us in.

Blindly supporting young players and wishing them well is one thing. unequivocal support for 100+ game crab is becoming more and more maddening by the month.
I can assure you that enduring post after post of unending derision for a 100+ game Geelong premiership player is no picnic either.

I can assure you that enduring post after post of unending derision for a 100+ game Geelong premiership player is no picnic either.
I can assure you I am having trouble finding worse 100 gamers for this club.
Think Murdoch (who no one had issues potting btw) takes the gold. Still two podium places up for grabs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he is for coming on at 3 qtr time when Geelong were 15 goals in front !!!

Mark Blake is also a Geel premiership player and ive got alot more time for him than Parfitt , because Blakey was actually a pretty good tap ruckman

Mark Blake is also a Geel premiership player and ive got alot more time for him than Parfitt , because Blakey was actually a pretty good tap ruckman
Fair enough. But I'm not sure it was ever fair to expect Parf to be a tap ruckman of any description...

Shannon Byrnes is a 2 time premiership player. A very limited but fast footballer by all intents and purposes a rather average 21st picked player. Still managed close to 70 goals between 09-10 seasons.

And FWIW goyoucatters this is happening weekly. Parfitt is mentioned and his cult following defend him and pot me in the process... And a circular argument is born.

This week it was Daniel Hoyne mentioning him, something I made perfectly clear at the time, and the muppet squad leaping to his defence thereafter.
He's almost as taboo a subject now as 'mystery mid' and the Grundy ruck debate. Some think he's even improved this year, but that's likely the pot talking.

Smoke Weed GIF

And FWIW goyoucatters this is happening weekly. Parfitt is mentioned and his cult following defend him and pot me in the process... And a circular argument is born.

This week it was Daniel Hoyne mentioning him, something I made perfectly clear at the time, and the muppet squad leaping to his defence thereafter.
He's almost as taboo a subject now as 'mystery mid' and the Grundy ruck debate. Some think he's even improved this year, but that's likely the pot talking.

Smoke Weed GIF
You go for your life with expressing your view. Nobody's censoring that. For myself, I find that coming on here and seeing language like 'crab' used to describe a Geelong premiership player and 'muppet' to describe anyone who disagrees with your perspective detracts from your viewpoint rather than enhances it.

You go for your life with expressing your view. Nobody's censoring that. For myself, I find that coming on here and seeing language like 'crab' used to describe a Geelong premiership player and 'muppet' to describe anyone who disagrees with your perspective detracts from your viewpoint rather than enhances it.
The descriptor fits like Cinderella and those slippers imv.
But well done to him on winning a flag at this club.

Admittedly it is a somewhat frustrating topic for me. On the odd occasions he's done well like Round 1 2022 (a game I haven't seen as I was playing a GF that day) or the first couple rounds this year I get tagged expected by some to give praise.

The same some cannot handle criticism when poor games arise.

Last edited:
Love the humble brag here
Was noted, for sure. I was tempted to ask just what competition he and his girlfriend were engaging in on that day, actually. But I decided it might not end well if he hadn't ended up in front at the end of their contest.

I'm guessing 'Uno Flip!', for what it's worth, though.

Cats have lost 4 games in a row. 3 by a kick.
2 had winning goals disallowed by ump errors.
This is hardly the time panic, just the opposite.
Cats midfield has been devastated by injury.
Midfield has seen 5 youngsters introduced.
Holmes, Mullin, Clark, Conway and Neale.
Now is not the right time to try Hardie as well.
Scott has said he wanted to give Hardie a go.
However the current issue is composure
Cats lost composure rushing the fast break.
Sloppy disposal and missed opportunities.
Along with fumbles. regularly kill momentum
Return of Rohan and MOC helps steadiness.
Hardie will debut once the team finds form.
Play him without expectations and pressure.
Wiser heads know this best for his future.

For those people backing Mannagh for a gig, they are still waiting for mini Mannagh to arrive.

Not that it matters much when the game is at home, perfectly acceptable to be named emergency while we run some seniors into form. You can't be drinking the Hardie cool aid and splat when you don't get your way- when the MSC clearly want to persist with some that aren't finished, they just need a good game. Both of Mannagh and Hardie are in the loop, with plenty to come, surely you can emulate their patience.

Just hope Rohan and Neale take their chances, MOC or Mullin do a job on maybe Dustbin, Duncan finds a bit more, Hawk proves the trolls wrong, and the others lift from the outset.

How is George Stevens looking? Is he likely to get a debut this year?

Need for speed: Contested Cat working towards dream AFL debut​

Justine McCullagh-Beasy

Justine McCullagh-Beasy
Sports journalist. Published 31 May 2024, 03:31 PM
882d7644ccebb312e462d20ebc00a527.jpeg
Hampden export George Stevens training at Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium. Brad McGee/Geelong Cats
EMERGING footballer George Stevens isn’t one to sit idle.

The South Warrnambool export – just seven months into his AFL career – is working diligently on enhancing his speed as he works towards a debut in Geelong’s famous blue and white hoops.

Stevens, 19, is averaging 20 disposals a game for the Cats’ in-form VFL side, playing as an inside ball-winner.

He is refining areas of his game which will help him push for a spot at the top level, particularly speed from the contest and finding different levels of acceleration when games open up.

“My strength has always been my football skills – my kicking and hand-balling ability is probably what got me drafted,” Stevens told The Standard.

Watch: GWV Rebels’ Chad Finck, Reggie Mast and Mitch Lloyd after playing in Warrnambool

“As you go up in each level of footy and even watching it, you notice how the pace gets faster and faster.

“With all the resources we have here I am continually trying to work on that and bring it out of my game a bit more.”

Stevens, who featured in South Warrnambool’s 2023 Hampden league premiership just two months before he became a Cat, said it was a challenge which required patience.

“It is very hard. Some people are born with it – we have the likes of Max Holmes, the son of an Olympic champion. You just look and shake your head and think ‘I wish I had that’,” he said.

“You have to do a lot of training, in the gym mainly. It sort of comes from doing a lot of power exercises and also just training your mind a little bit, getting out on the field and practising change of speed.

“You sort of train habits in your mind for in games, not to just cruise at one speed the whole game but back your instincts in, because you’ve trained it a lot, to change your speed.”

Stevens has already noticed improvements on match days and is “trying to use my power and speed to defend and also get hard forward and create attacking opportunities”.

He doesn’t have to look far for advice on how to improve his output.

3d57a2ba0d482e1ed210fe448711d393.jpeg
George Stevens, working hard at AFL training, has averaged 20 disposals across his seven VFL matches for Geelong in 2024. Picture by Brad McGee/Geelong Cats
Three-time Brisbane premiership-winning midfielder Nigel Lappin is on the Geelong coaching staff while captain Paddy Dangerfield is “good at reaching out and checking in on me”.

“He (Lappin) has spent 15-odd years here through a range of different roles but he’s a development coach now and he’s been unbelievable for me,” Stevens said.

“Him and I have a pretty close relationship, we’re pretty honest with each other. He’s got a wealth of knowledge, playing in a pretty successful side for Brisbane through those years and then coming straight to Geelong and being a coach during some pretty successful teams here as well.”

Stevens – coming off a career-high 28-disposal performance against VFL rival GWS Giants – said being a part of the AFL was all he’d hoped for and more.

“You just park your car everyday and there’s the big Cats logo at the stadium. We’re very fortunate our (training) facility is at GMHBA (Stadium),” he said.

“Walking in everyday knowing it’s your job just excites me. It’s funny, I probably love footy more now than I did before I got drafted.

a7e3f0c92ae0730eeaf45e74b96803a4.jpeg
George Stevens, pictured at AFL training, is coming off a 28-disposal game for Geelong’s VFL team. Picture by Brad McGee/Geelong Cats
“I knew it was a professional environment and it’s a business but just how many resources you do have at the footy club (is an eye-opener). There’s a lot of people there to help you, whether it be dietitians or media managers.”

The teenager is living with a host family on a hobby farm in Ceres with Western Australian ruckman Mitch Edwards, who was part of Stevens’ draft class.

Joining a club just two hours from his Warrnambool home has been an added bonus for Stevens.

“The boys stitch me up about getting home a little bit too much,” he joked.

The Emmanuel College graduate said he was grateful he could visit the south-west regularly.

“For me to play some Saturdays and get home after the game and be home for the rest of the weekend (is great),” Stevens said.

“It’s awesome to stay connected to my home club in South Warrnambool. My little brother Jimmy plays and my little sister Matilda is now playing football as well.”

Geelong’s VFL outfit – on a six-game winning streak – plays Richmond at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday, June 1 at 3.30pm. It is a curtain-raiser to the AFL match between the two clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back