Robbie Tarrant

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Obviously extremely hypothetical, but what would Robbie be worth in a trade.

I look at Norths list and think they have some emerging key backs in Nielsen, Durdin and potentially Mckay. I also think Thompson has at least 1 more decent season in him, maybe 2.

To fast track their rebuild, and aggressively chase draft picks, what would Tarrant cost another team? Would fit in perfectly at almost every contending team.

I dont think this will ever occur, just interested to see what people thought North could get for him

Interesting hypothetical. We'd want a first rounder. But he is also 28.

Doubt he's going anywhere any time soon though.

Interesting hypothetical. We'd want a first rounder. But he is also 28.

Doubt he's going anywhere any time soon though.

Just entering his prime really. 3 or 4 extremely good years in front of him.

would be a first and extras i would think.

Garry Lyon named him the best player in the comp earlier in the year

If he is 2 years younger, you are asking for a 1st and a 3rd (maybe a second).
As he is now, pick somewhere between 12-16. If i'm North, Durdin and Nielsen look impressive enough that i do that. Pump games into them and take another top pick in a draft that drops off reasonably quickly after 30 or so.

Lonergan and Taylor are getting towards the end of their careers, so Geelong looks the best fit of the current contenders. Maybe Melbourne to help take the next step, freeing up Tom McDonald to stay up forward to give Hogan extra support. Outside of those two I can't see anyone giving up enough to make it worthwhile for North.

As he is now, pick somewhere between 12-16. If i'm North, Durdin and Nielsen look impressive enough that i do that. Pump games into them and take another top pick in a draft that drops off reasonably quickly after 30 or so.
I would for next year, as we have no other key defender capable of taking the gorilla key forward. Another year into Durdin or McKay in defence would be ideal.

On field leader and organizes their defence, I dare say he's worth more to North than his market value of a first round pick.

On field leader and organizes their defence, I dare say he's worth more to North than his market value of a first round pick.
And considering how patient the club was with his many injuries, he probably won't leave, but it is an interesting hypothetical. It could be a Wells type of departure in a year or two, but he's of a different character to Robbie.

I would for next year, as we have no other key defender capable of taking the gorilla key forward. Another year into Durdin or McKay in defence would be ideal.
next year he will be 29. I know its only a year difference but that is the difference between getting a first rounder and getting a Brian Lake type haul (a second and fourth?), and he was a 2 x AA.

You wont get a first next year, keep scotty Thompson and pump experience into your kids. I would pull the trigger now and maximise value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

next year he will be 29. I know its only a year difference but that is the difference between getting a first rounder and getting a Brian Lake type haul (a second and fourth?), and he was a 2 x AA.

You wont get a first next year, keep scotty Thompson and pump experience into your kids. I would pull the trigger now and maximise value.

Lake was more speculative, his best footy seemed to be behind him. Tarrant on the other hand has had 2 fantastic years where he's been incredibly unlucky to be behind Rance.

Depends how aggressive North want to be with their rebuild.

Until the past couple of years his body was constantly letting him down, but he seems to have gotten past those issues.

Unlucky not to be All-Australian last year and in the prime of his career. I think they could expect a late first rounder or thereabouts.

Back Durdin and Nielsen in and probably keep Thompson for 1 more year.

Fair enough points, but we have a few father-sons and academy picks next year, so we are not totally desperate this year for a first considering the (supposed) shallower draft pool this year.

Lake was more speculative, his best footy seemed to be behind him. Tarrant on the other hand has had 2 fantastic years where he's been incredibly unlucky to be behind Rance.
I was more referring to the potential age bracket but you make a good point. Essentially what I am tring to point out is that no one will pay a first rounder next year for a 29 year old KPD. They probably will this year so go for it. Maybe even a future 2018 first in a deeper draft would be better

I was more referring to the potential age bracket but you make a good point. Essentially what I am tring to point out is that no one will pay a first rounder next year for a 29 year old KPD. They probably will this year so go for it. Maybe even a future 2018 first in a deeper draft would be better
I would do that deal for a future first, but ideally I would love to keep Robbie.

28 years old KPD, Quality player. Worth more to North than others I think, wouldn't get a top 10 pick.

pick around 15 to a contender.

Definitely not for a top 10, but I reckon a team that believes they're 1 KPD away from a premiership he could net a 10-12. I agree though, has to be this year if it happens which it probably won't.

Taz provides so much leadership and keeps the structure together that the games Durdin and Nielsen play wouldn't be much value.

Wouldn't he be an ideal fit at the Dogs? If the Dogs are shopping #10 who says no to that trade first, Dogs or North?
was thinking this exactly. Maybe some minor swapping of later picks in dogs favour (10 is perhaps a tad too high) and I think both teams would be stoked.

Bulldogs get: Tarrant + North 2nd (22ish)
for
North get; Pick 10 + Doggies 2nd (28ish)

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie Tarrant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back