Mod. Notice Ron The Bear RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadn't checked Bigfooty in a while, and i'm shattered to hear of Ron the Bear's passing. Particularly on the stats forums, his work and ability to come up with stats at the drop of a hat was just astonishing, he was a fountain of knowledge and a great poster whom would regularly answer all sorts of tricky questions. And obviously a mighty Tiger supporter too.

Condolences to his family.....i am guessing he'd have been not much older than me (53), so it's just very sad news to read. A loss to Bigfooty and to all who knew and engaged with him on the forums. Actually he was 53..my age too. This news has really hit me like a brick. R.I.P Ron, the stats legend of Bigfooty!

Last edited:

Ron share this post with me last year, we have his coat and Raines, Cloke etc were in the pocket.

Hi - another one of Ronnie's sisters here ... this is all beautiful, thank you so much. Ron had had a cough for the past few weeks, and it turned worse on Tuesday night and he called an ambulance, but they arrived too late. He tested negative for covid earlier that night. He was 53 years old.

Ronnie spent a few years on the dole in his 20s where he was writing a program to predict horse racing winners. When that didn't succeed he went back to uni and delivered pizza at nights. They called him Rainman and Calculus at MOCCC. But no one seems to know that he failed year eight and changed schools. Failed year ten and changed schools again. Out of this school hopping came an unfathomable mind for stats, and a fierce and biting use of words.

I'm not familiar with the forums, if there's anything I should read can you point me to it?

BTW, Ronnie never married or had kids. He is survived by our mum, three sisters, five nieces and nephews.

Many thanks, Barb.

Thanks so much to both yourself and your sister for popping in and letting us know more about ron, i dont know what it is but that picture of him smiling makes me know for an absolute fact that he was an amazing human being and is a huge loss to the world.

He will be missed massively on this forum, his insights where extraordinary. Your family should be proud of him, and im sure you are.

To hear he was only 53 saddens me deeply, he had so much more to give and we would have loved every second of it.

Such sad news to read.

Rest in peace Ron The Bear xx

I think I remember him too, used to stand up behind and to the side of the grog squad?

He used to go berserk too😁
Yes,he hung around near that area,very recognisible face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back