• Ben McGarry (Southport)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Andrew Schumacher (Broadbeach)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Michael McInerney (Wynnum Vikings)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Jimmy James Roszynski (West. Magpies)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Richard Champion (Mayne - occasionally)

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 7, 2001
The back paddock
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Roger The Sheep has spent his winter grazing on all manner of football ovals all over South East Queensland, and he's compiled the definitive list of the best talent going around.

Which of these up-and-coming players most deserve a place on the Lions' rookie list in 2004?

Roger.

how could anyone pick just one out of that fine group...
mine would be a toss up between....
Allan Phillips
Jacob Gough
Matty Skubis
Wade Burridge
Ben McGarry
James Rozynski

wouldnt mind sending a few to other clubs....Schumacher could go & play with cousin Lance somewhere....
& Zillman would fit in well with Matty Richardson.....

I'd prefer Michael McInerney from the Wynnum Vikings on the list out of all those players. This young chap uses the ball well and by all reports is a very servicable player. Can play either end of the ground and can play in the middle if needed. His skills are centimetre perfect and he is a special player.

Worth a look!

yeah if u reckon that McInerney guy is any good... have a look @ that Allan Phillips bloke....he is a definate footy player of the future & certainly a favourite of mine.

saw a couple of players off that list running around today @ coorparoo in some capacity those being Allan Phillips,Matty Skubis,
...(some not running more like a leisurely stroll) & others leading like Jacob Goughtheir team to the Flag today down @ coorparoo.... they reckon that it was the biggest crowd they have had there since 96 so it was pretty good.... a bit boring though... i go for the siders.. & they won both... but i nearlly went to sleep in the 2nd half of the seniors.. only to be woken up by the biff @ the other end of the ground.

Very proud to say also that the Billy Hardy Memorial Medal for the best player in the reserves Grand Final team was won by Kris Jahnke of Morningside as well Scott Easedown won the best player of the Grand Final in the seniors...

Definitely Allan Phillips. I've been unfortunate enough to play on him a couple of times in training practice matches and he's definitely a star of the future. Big, tall (over 200cm) and very strong. He kicks like a mule and is a great leader.

Phillips is definitely the one to look out for on the Lions rookie list in 2004.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently this McInerney fella had two guys carried off the field for Robina earlier in the year in one game with two of the best hip and shoulders you will ever see. Pussy he is not, a little slow though maybe.

Just done some research on McInerney, apparently he was the Morningside premiership colts captain in 96. He sure does seem to have proven leadership skills.

Two thoughts:

1. I doubt anyone not playing at a State League club has any chance of being "Rookie" listed, unless they made State U/18's this year.

2. What will happen to the current batch of "Rookies"?

Chucky Zillman is alot tougher than McInerney. He actually had the nerve to flip the bird at The BRITS © Pty. Ltd. in a game out at Sherwood this past year. Had us all looking over the shoulder after the game, I can tell you!

That tops anything McInerney's ever achieved.

Originally posted by Mr Ripper
Chucky Zillman is alot tougher than McInerney. He actually had the nerve to flip the bird at The BRITS © Pty. Ltd. in a game out at Sherwood this past year. Had us all looking over the shoulder after the game, I can tell you!

That tops anything McInerney's ever achieved.

I think that Brits thing is irrelevant.

McInerney is a champion and will be a champion. He's moulded to be the next Voss. Nothing can beat that.

When he makes it, I apparently will be asked to be his manager.

yeah ok SB

* when i become a player manager i will certainly be working my butt off to get James Rozynski & Allan Phillips on my books......

Rozynski was B.O.G in his 1st state league game with the Magpies after returning from playing in the Qld team @ the nationals earlier in the year....

wouldnt mind picking up one Chris "cc" constable another queensland player during the year who played the remainder of the season with the Redlands footy club... i hear the lions may be interested in him as well....

Matt Pardew is another name which many footy fans will have to keep their eyes & ears open for......
played state 18s last year & trained with the lions pre-season... returned to Morningside, played the state game earlier in the year, got a few Grogan votes & helped steer his team to the GF & i reckon he was 2nd best on ground coz Scott Easedown won the medal for the B.o.G which i reckon matty would have been closely behind. They won & his hard work paid off. He has been called in again to the screening camp here in Qld & would be a great playter for any club. Dont think he will end up staying here in Brisbane though.. would love to see it but i dont think leigh likes his attitude much... he has got alot better through the year making a few choices @ the start of the year & they certainly paid off... he is a credit to himself, his family & to the Morningside footy club. He has been holding a position in the back line & with his size alone it is enough to stop most forward. Very well built for a fella who is still only young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie draft