Rookies x 4

Remove this Banner Ad

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
With Wilson, Cockie, Sullivan and Stephenson electing to remain rookies - it leaves 4 places to fill which can include 2 mature age players.

Considering this years draft is shallow then one would assume the best of the kids are likely to be gone before the end of the ND.

I have had a look through the delistings and would like posters opinions on some of the names of the ex-WA boys mentioned below, as to whether they would be worthy of selecting as a rookie.

Tom Lee (delisted from Adelaide)
Kieren King (delisted from Brisbane)
Jessie Laurie (delisted from Port)
JON (delisted from Richmond)
Ryan Brabazon (delisted from Swans)
Malcolm Lynch (delisted from WB)

Can anybody shed light on the situation regarding David Gourdis @ Richmond ? He was selected in the PSD (I think 2007) then delisted at end 2007 and has spent the last 2 years on Richmonds rookie list.
He's of good size 194cm IIRC and played extremely well at Subi as a lead up fwd with good pace and good kicking skills. Is he worth poaching for the remaining spot via PSD ?

Ideally I'd like to see McNamara and Davis picked up, though I think both are likely to go before we get a chance to grab them.

Of your list, don't know much about most of them. Wouldn't mind King, DO NOT WANT Oakley-Nicholls, Gourdis has been retained for another year by Richmond.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd love for us to get Travis Casserly (Swan Districts, ex-Richmond) in the rookie draft.

Potente @ Swan Dstricts would be a likely rookie for West Coast or Fremantle ?? Think he is 19 now , played or just missed U/18 after injury or illness two years ago . Rated pretty high as a Youngster . IMO would be ideal rookie player if lasting to the rookie draft .

Ideally I'd like to see McNamara and Davis picked up, though I think both are likely to go before we get a chance to grab them.

Of your list, don't know much about most of them. Wouldn't mind King, DO NOT WANT Oakley-Nicholls, Gourdis has been retained for another year by Richmond.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd love for us to get Travis Casserly (Swan Districts, ex-Richmond) in the rookie draft.

1) I agree these 2 will be gone (not sure wisdom of taking Macnamara again however)
2) I think the rules have changed to allow a rookie to be poached as long as he is placed on the new teams main list. WC happen to have one of those spots becoming available

If we could be sure his body could withstand the rigours of AFL footy - I'd support this.

Potente @ Swan Dstricts would be a likely rookie for West Coast or Fremantle ?? Think he is 19 now , played or just missed U/18 after injury or illness two years ago . Rated pretty high as a Youngster . IMO would be ideal rookie player if lasting to the rookie draft .

He's pretty small though.

Swan Districts website has him at 168cm and 70kg. I suspect that is old information but it gives a good ballpark figure.

He's pretty small though.

Swan Districts website has him at 168cm and 70kg. I suspect that is old information but it gives a good ballpark figure.

[/quote]

Yeh Potente is small ; has very good courage but with neat left foot kick .... So good replacement for Fletcher , Tony Evans :p Played well in Preliminary final this year and just starting to show confidence @ WAFL level .Hopefully West Coast show some interest . I might send them an email :D

Dennis Lane may / will go ND . West Coast should use pick 71 for Dennis Lane , not possible now I believe with only 3 picks in ND .

Just a quick question on the rookies if anyone is up to date on the new rules. Could we possibly re-rookie Davis as our nominated rookie in the draft, therefore he goes back to his original wages rather than them counting to next years TPP.

Of those named,id take none of them,i dont reckon any are good enough,especially Oakley-Nicholls,how that guy remained on Richmonds list so long i will never know.

Now i dont know much about wafl colts players,so will throw some names out that i have heard of and would like to know more about,if anyone can help me here.

How did you these guys play for the whole season?

Lancy Daly(have been hearing about him for 2 yrs,is he a possibilty?)
Lewis Broome(i know he had a good grand final,but how well did he play for the whole season?)
Brett van groningen

are any of these guys worth considering?Id take a punt on Trent Dennis-Lane and Ian Richardson if still available,what have we got to lose?

Greg Broughton did quite well for the shockers,so mature wafl players are worth giving a shot,since the draft is so shallow.

Looking at TDL's video's, im really not a fan.

I dont think he would add value to our list except for the fact that he can be our very short term option as the FP - we might as well get Nathan Brown or a Harding in the PSD.

Looking at TDL's video's, im really not a fan.

I dont think he would add value to our list except for the fact that he can be our very short term option as the FP - we might as well get Nathan Brown or a Harding in the PSD.

He's 21, why would he only be a 'very short term option'?

2) I think the rules have changed to allow a rookie to be poached as long as he is placed on the new teams main list. WC happen to have one of those spots becoming available

Don't know where you came up with that rule.

Players who were on the rookie list in 2009 and who weren't offered promotion had the option of signing on for a second or third year or trying their luck in the draft. They had to make that decision by last Friday. Wilson, Sullivan, Stevenson, Cockie all signed up for us. Gourdis signed on for Richmond. Ryan Davis opted to try his luck (to an extent he may have been forced to do that due to salary cap rules).

We can't poach Gourdis away from Richmond any more than Richmond could poach Wilson away from us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The specific changes to the rookie list rules this year were:

1) A rookie can be included in a trade deal, but must then be included in their new club's main list. An example of this was Mumford to Sydney. This might be the rule you were thinking of given what you said

2) A club may retain a rookie for a third season without going through the draft. However the rookie must be given the option of going into the draft instead if they prefer. Davis is an example of the player taking the option to go to the draft, Wilson is an example of a player being retained for a third season.

There are also some changes I think in salary cap rules, but they're not relevant here. There is no rule that would allow "poaching".

John Bennel seems worth a punt, although apparently Collingwood don't rate him at all, which is ominous considering how much they love small forwards. Then again this could very reason they let go of him considering they have Davis/Dick etc already.

I dont think Collingwood didnt rate him, it was the fact that he wanted come back to WA.

Apparently played some good games according to a few of my coll supporting mates and showed a bit.

I don't think he has the skills and class to be our long term FP solution let alone an AFL footballer.

Nevertheless, my assumptions are just from watching his videos.

He's a very laconic type of player and looks like he is playing in slow motion at times but he does have a fair bit of speed and is very smart around goals.

IMO he is well worth the punt and see what he could do under an AFL training regime. He is the kind of player who can kick 3 goals from as many opportunities in a short space.

He's a very laconic type of player and looks like he is playing in slow motion at times but he does have a fair bit of speed and is very smart around goals.

IMO he is well worth the punt and see what he could do under an AFL training regime. He is the kind of player who can kick 3 goals from as many opportunities in a short space.

Fair enough, would be a worth a rookie position rather than a spot on the main list.

Fair enough, would be a worth a rookie position rather than a spot on the main list.

Freo has signaled that they are interested and therefore are likely to take him before us. We could only get him in the PSD if Freo pass him up in the ND or PSD before us.

Even then they could tell him to bypass the PSD and they will take him with their first rookie pick before us.

They are in the box seat to take him and chances are they will and nothing we can do about it.

Would be extremly happy with Johnny Bennell, I rate his ability.

Rhett Mason I love, a very good goal kicking mid, weaves through traffic and has excellent awareness, smooth mover.

Anthony Del Borello if not picked up in ND will be a bargain as a rookie.

Ryan Neates if he was to fall to rookie would be another I would jump on.

Joel Coyne playing in defence as some got some toe and uses the ball well is very hard at it too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookies x 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back