Rooney

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most scintillating hattricks I've ever seen in football.

Fenerbahce's defence was pants though and we had some real shaky moments from opposing set pieces. But you take 6-2 ;)

Petrie Dish said:
Fenerbahce's defence was pants though

Seems that Fergie felt that it wasn't only Fenerbahce's defence was rubbish....he had Gary Neville (first game back from injury), Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, and Kleberson all in the starting line up, with Phizza Neville (for Heinze), Fletcher (for Giggs), and Miller (for RVN) subbed on.

I reckon the finishing lineup would have been one of the most inexperienced United lineups in our European history - maybe even more inexperienced than the Fergie Fledgeling lineup that belted Galatasary 4-0 back in '94.

^ Not only that, but Kleba, Djemba and Bellion all played the 90 minutes, while Roy Keane wasn't even on the bench with Scholesy injured.

I couldn't understand Fenerbahce's tactics in the first half either, they let United cut them open at will with some horrible defending, and then seemed content to knock it around and try and long ball up the middle every now and again. When they started to attack down the flanks in the second half, I thought they outplayed us for large periods on the second half, and it was sloppy defending which brought about RVN's and Bellion's goals.

captain-boomer said:
One of Fener's goals was sloppy defence by us too.

Both were, and they probably could have had a couple more. Full credit to Roy Carroll, I thought he stood up well and both goals were far from his fault.

Just think Toffee fans, if Rooney was still at Skause Park, he would've been making his european debut aged twe....err...thir.....well he never would have!

Shinboners said:
Best to keep a lid on it.

It's only one game.

Somehow, I don't think this reporter is keeping a lid on it:

Wayne Rooney launched himself into the footballing stratosphere with a debut hat-trick for Manchester United in a 6-2 victory over Fenerbahce at Old Trafford.

On this evidence, Sir Alex Ferguson would have made a wise investment if he had spent the next two years' transfer budget on the 18-year-old, instead of the bargain £27million which prised him from Everton last month.

Never, in all the years of this illustrious club, can any one player have made such a startling start to their career.

Two brutal first-half efforts were followed by an incredible Beckham-esque free-kick seven minutes after the break to ensure Rooney left the Theatre of Dreams with a match ball, a place in history and the adoring chants of 60,000 voices ringing in his ears.
etc, etc, etc.

Soccernet

I hope I don't have to put up with this for 15 years. :rolleyes:
[Awaiting inevitable response from United fans]

Lowie01 said:
I hope I don't have to put up with this for 15 years. :rolleyes:
[Awaiting inevitable response from United fans]

And what inevitable response would that be?

Anyway, if you've followed the game for any length of time, you'd know that what the United players do (either good or bad) gets blown out of proportion - from the days of Best to Docherty and Gordon Hill, from the Cold Trafford Days of Dave Sexton to the drinkers club of Big Fat Ron, and the modern days of Fergie fury, Sharpe/Giggs/Beckham sex symbol, and the fight and fury of Keane and Cantona, you should be used to Manchester United and our players making the news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

captain-boomer said:
Overpriced?

F*ck NO!

ROONALDO has come to Old Trafford and Europe!

Its one game you bandwagoning tool.

When he starts to produce the goods consistently in the premiership (something absent from his Everton resume) then you lot can start salivating over him.

Good luck to him but trophy supporters like you should turn off the turbo and ease up because a hatrick against Fenerbache doesn't elevate one to legend status.

Time will tell whether the figure was inflated or not. One game goes no where near justyfying a transfer fee of that sorts.

So dude I suggest you go and start playing Cluedo coz you don't have one.

apollo_creed said:
Its one game you bandwagoning tool.

When he starts to produce the goods consistently in the premiership (something absent from his Everton resume) then you lot can start salivating over him.

Good luck to him but trophy supporters like you should turn off the turbo and ease up because a hatrick against Fenerbache doesn't elevate one to legend status.

Time will tell whether the figure was inflated or not. One game goes no where near justyfying a transfer fee of that sorts.

So dude I suggest you go and start playing Cluedo coz you don't have one.

What would a hattrick by a Vile player in Europe elevate him to? God?

Oh wait, no European football for the Vile-ans.

Shinboners said:
Unlike the Arsenal squad, Rooney doesn't appear to be afraid to perform in Europe.

I guess a draw is like a loss when you are as great as Arsenal but as they say down Highbury way: you draw some, you win some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rooney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back