Autopsy Round 1, 2021: Hawthorn defeat Bombers in a 40pt turnaround!

Remove this Banner Ad

What an enjoyable game. At half time I was genuinely concerned that our midfield issues from last year were terminal, but gee they turned it around. I know Titch was great in the 3rd, but reckon JOM needs some kudos too. Be really stepped it up at the end of the second against the run of play and showed amazing desperation and leadership.

Thought the backline was great throughout. Really enjoyed the combination and in particular the willingness to run and play on. Absolutely loved our kick outs. The long kicks to the centre and Will Day hitting short targets and then running on past the man on the mark shows we have thought about how to exploit the rules with attacking play.

Really glad we won that game given our tough upcoming run. Hope we continue to attack even if we're behind over the next few weeks..

Yep, he's found his confidence again.
His clean hands under pressure are back and it gives him time. Had 9 contested possessions from 20 touches and got 2 clearances and 2 contested marks. Not the normal resume of a wing! But he has the versatility in his game to adjust, it seems. Phillips is a similar type too, which is interesting. Howe not afraid of contact either. Maybe this is part of a cunning plan 🤔

Flicked on channel essendon (7)for their sports recap.
Completely skipped the hawks win, plenty of focus on the other games

Producer has to be a bloody * fan - 7 broadcast that match and I’ve seen plenty of neutrals talk up how good it was to watch.

Some of these guys who showed some grit showed it in the 2018 VFL finals series too. it was always there. Not too many sexy draft picks either
When your depth players can do this you only need a couple of magic beans to get on the rise.

They were kids a bit light on playing seasoned bodies at port Melbourne and Williamstown. Finals series on a knife edge most games

Great call! The elimination final against Port in 2018 was a knife edge game and players like Hanrahan and Moore stood up strongly.

Tip of the hat for Mark McKenzie - Frost and Phillips brought in cheaply under his watch, Day and Brockman brought in via the draft. If DGB develops strongly also then he’s quietly crushing it as our list manager. Whoever is doing the academy work that’s brought us Downie and Jiath also need some kudos.

If you look at the age of Frost & Phillips it's great too

Fills a current need but also will play the next few years - long enough for us to contend if we get enough other recruiting decisions right

We have a big hole in the 23-26 age range in the list so Phillips is addressing that too

Excellent comeback!

O’Meara’s inside work with 9 clearances is enormous. Very balanced inside/outside game. Mitchell found the ball but O’Meara isn’t getting enough love on this thread I don’t think.

A lot of positives from this game but the endeavour of the new faces to help drive the comeback was my favourite part. No more commentary about “the same old hawks getting it done”.

Agree re JOM. Was huge in the 2nd half, played inspiring footy in taking on would-be tacklers and (most of the time) breaking them.

Just on this - didn’t see much, if any, midfield rotation as per the pre-season talk. I could be wrong but we didn’t deviate at all from Mitchell, JOM, Worpel/Shiels. Was rueing this fact at half time, but given the turn around pleased they were given a chance to figure it out and right it themselves.

All players deserve credit. Want to mention Kozi - haven’t seen him at all really until last night. Despite not influencing scoreboard directly, looked hungry, athletic and team oriented. Keep him in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His clean hands under pressure are back and it gives him time. Had 9 contested possessions from 20 touches and got 2 clearances and 2 contested marks. Not the normal resume of a wing! But he has the versatility in his game to adjust, it seems. Phillips is a similar type too, which is interesting. Howe not afraid of contact either. Maybe this is part of a cunning plan

Sprinkle a bit of Downie in there too who also has a similar style of game ;)

Just on this - didn’t see much, if any, midfield rotation as per the pre-season talk. I could be wrong but we didn’t deviate at all from Mitchell, JOM, Worpel/Shiels. Was rueing this fact at half time, but given the turn around pleased they were given a chance to figure it out and right it themselves.

Definitely noticed Breust in the middle at times and Kosi was in and around stoppages in the second half. Fairly sure Hanners was there abouts also. Wingard being out hurts the rotations a bit also.

Flicked on channel essendon (7)for their sports recap.
Completely skipped the hawks win, plenty of focus on the other games

I think the Crows v Cats and Swans v Lions upsets will take most of the media attention and rightly so.

We put on a great show but there’s more money to make and stories to produce out of upset wins. I.e. tip review, history stats, where it went wrong for the favourites, are the favourites “mentally there”, winning team vets winding back the clock, etc.

Close games you only really show the last 30 seconds and say it was a nail biter. I’m surprised it wasn’t commented on at all if they completely skipped over it but I can understand that those other two games will get the spotlight - in particular the losing teams - because the media are a bunch negative twats loving to kick teams when they are down.

What an enjoyable game. At half time I was genuinely concerned that our midfield issues from last year were terminal, but gee they turned it around. I know Titch was great in the 3rd, but reckon JOM needs some kudos too. Be really stepped it up at the end of the second against the run of play and showed amazing desperation and leadership.

Thought the backline was great throughout. Really enjoyed the combination and in particular the willingness to run and play on. Absolutely loved our kick outs. The long kicks to the centre and Will Day hitting short targets and then running on past the man on the mark shows we have thought about how to exploit the rules with attacking play.

Really glad we won that game given our tough upcoming run. Hope we continue to attack even if we're behind over the next few weeks..
I have to agree.

I posted at half time that our midfield needed to pull their fist out, and they did, they then proceeded to extend their middle finger at me.

Agree re JOM. Was huge in the 2nd half, played inspiring footy in taking on would-be tacklers and (most of the time) breaking them.

All players deserve credit. Want to mention Kozi - haven’t seen him at all really until last night. Despite not influencing scoreboard directly, looked hungry, athletic and team oriented. Keep him in
Omeara also really lifted in the back half of the second when our midfield was getting belted. In that quarter he had 9 disposals (4 contested) compared to Mitchell 5 (2), worpel 3 (1) and shiels 2 (0). So nearly the same as the rest of the main midfield unit. Had two clearances also.

Worpel struggled last night. He needs to stop going to ground. It leaves us with one short too often.

we definitely rotated players through the middle. Breust, Morrison and day at least but I thought a couple of others too.

Even then they still got the go ahead goal from a dodgey throw call
on the scale of the decisions that went their way, it wasnt even close to the worst.
the one where we got done for HTB after being slammed directly in the back, falling forward and ball not being held or even under the hawks player...

Omeara also really lifted in the back half of the second when our midfield was getting belted. In that quarter he had 9 disposals (4 contested) compared to Mitchell 5 (2), worpel 3 (1) and shiels 2 (0). So nearly the same as the rest of the main midfield unit. Had two clearances also.

Worpel struggled last night. He needs to stop going to ground. It leaves us with one short too often.

we definitely rotated players through the middle. Breust, Morrison and day at least but I thought a couple of others too.
He struggled in the pre-season games as well - we know what he can do, but he hasn't been able to do it for quite awhile now. Almost like Mitch has taken the only spot Worpel can play as yet.

Interesting to note, despite the new selections, we still go into this round as the 4th oldest team.

B: S.Frost, K.Hartigan, C.Jiath
HB: J.Impey, B.Hardwick, H.Morrison
C: T.Phillips, J.O’Meara, W.Day
HF: L.Breust, J.Koschitzke, J.Worpel
F: S.Burgoyne, J.Ceglar, T.Brockman
FOLL: B.McEvoy, L.Shiels, T.Mitchell

I/C: O.Hanrahan, D.Moore, D.Howe, T.O’Brien

sub: Downie, Greaves*, Lewis**, Hartley**

**played VFL
* played a half of VFL

13 draftees to 9 recruits. The balance has been redressed a bit obvious ins sicily Gunston scrimshaw Wingard evens it up a bit

on the scale of the decisions that went their way, it wasnt even close to the worst.
the one where we got done for HTB after being slammed directly in the back, falling forward and ball not being held or even under the hawks player...

Stupidest thing in a sport which has its fair share. Guy gets smashed onto the ball then the guy riding him drags the loose ball to the flattened player

He dragged it in not the poor guy who can’t actually do anything. Should be a free against the other guy

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2021: Hawthorn defeat Bombers in a 40pt turnaround!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back