Discussion Round 1, Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

My prediction for round one ;)

Roberton will play down back with Gilbert and Ray on wings.

McEvoy and Hickey will both play.

Roo & Maister will have Milne, Saad, Milera & TDL running around their feet.

Newnes or Wright to be sub.

So internally, Stanley is perceived now as a defender and is out of the forwards mix.

Kosi is competing with Hickey for the third tall spot and not with Maister, who it appears will play as well as the 2 talls...and not in place of one.

Given how many ruck duels there have been in the NAB cup (boundary throw ins aside) Lee comes right back in to the mix.

B: Geary Stanley Dempster
HB: Gwilt Fisher Siposs
C: Dal Hayes Gilbert
HF: Milera Roo Hickey
FF: Milne Maister Saad

R: Macca Steven Armo

Int: TDL Newnes Schneider Ray

Not what I'd do but what I think will happen. Not crazy about Hickey playing with Macca at all. Not a fan of someone spending 60-70% of their time being ineffective up forward just to give Macca a rest. Who relieves big boy? I don't know, throw Maister in there for five minutes or even Gilbert if you have to because the same rule applies to Macca, albeit with a lesser percentage of time big ineffective because he isn't much chop forward either.

I think Watters likes TDL a lot and for that reason he'll play which gets all the mosquito fleet in there. I'd say Milera and Schneider would spend a lot of time on a wing. I think eventually we'll discover it doesn't really work with all of them and one or two might come out, maybe Schneider for Joey and one of Milera/TDL for Lee. As I've said before they expect big things from Lee so I expect to see him in the 22 eventually.

Looking at that team contested ball is a worry which means everybody in the midfield will need to lift. Yes even Lenny. :p

I wouldn't go underestimating Gold Coast, they were generally very competitive up there at Metricon in the 2nd half of last year and ought to be better this time around, especially with the additions of the likes of O'Meara (who had 24 possies last week), Lonergan, Broughton and Murphy and the return of Harbrow. Their backline in particular looks to be stronger and more experienced. Any team that has the likes of Ablett, Bennell, Swallow and O'Meara in their midfield, with Smith in the ruck, is not to be taken lightly, especially if the conditions are greasy, which they ought to be used to.

In our favour this year though is that we look to be hitting the season with much better momentum and form, which we haven't done in either of our last two years, which has flowed into the seasons themselves. Going by what Scotty said the other night we will be taking this game very seriously, so I don't think we'll be taking too many chances, if at all, with those who aren't right.

I agree GC will be absolutely out to make a statement this season, and all their young blokes will be fit and firing and hopped up on red cordial at the start of the season. I hope our guys take it seriously.

B: Geary Gwilt Simpkin
HB: Siposs Fisher Dempster
C: Gilbert Hayes Dal Santo
HF: Jones Riewoldt TDL
F: Milne Maister Saad
R: McEvoy Armitage Steven
I: Newnes Hickey Ray Milera

Agree with this although not convinced jones will get a spot. I think we are more likely to see ross or murdoch. Milera or murdoch as sub. Unless Jones shuts Ward down this weekend he hasnt done enough.

I agree GC will be absolutely out to make a statement this season, and all their young blokes will be fit and firing and hopped up on red cordial at the start of the season. I hope our guys take it seriously.
I don't think there is much danger of us not taking it seriously, if the way Scotty was talking the other night is anything to go by. I think we'll be looking to hit them like a sledgehammer. Gold Coast don't seem to be exactly firing on a cylinders just at this stage, so it will be interesting to see if they turn things around in time.

I don't think there is much danger of us not taking it seriously, if the way Scotty was talking the other night is anything to go by. I think we'll be looking to hit them like a sledgehammer. Gold Coast don't seem to be exactly firing on a cylinders just at this stage, so it will be interesting to see if they turn things around in time.

You cant always tell during the NAB though.
Remember the saints nab cup 2009?

I don't remember 2009 specifically, but I remember our very poor 2011 and 2012 preseason campaigns and they were an accurate reflection of where we were at and we started our seasons similarly poorly, especially 2011, so I'm glad that things are looking a lot better this time around. Gold Coast may find it a bit concerning that they are still getting blown away in a quarter of footy, a bit like Melbourne did on the weekend. Don't want to read too much into their form though.

Bring on R1!

IMO Newnes will start.

Not going to list a team here but enjoying reading everyone's efforts. It's a nice problem to have - so many players to fit into 1 team!!

One thing most of us can agree on is that we need to get games into the kids. Watters also understands this so it will be interesting to see how he does this over the course of the season. This might mean some old favourites might not play so much and be kept for depth, (Kosi? Schneides? Blake?).

We can all pontificate but only time will tell.

Whatever happens I for one am very excited about the future. We've recruited so well over the last 2 years and I look forward to watching Wright, Murdoch, White, Ross, Newnes, Siposs, et. al. make their mark in the red, white, and black!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would not be surprised if Wright is the sub for round 1. Newnes got games pretty early last year, no reason why Wright couldn't do something similiar.

same, alternatively newnes might be the sub. wright could take gearys back pocket spot to allow geary to go into montys role

I'm pretty sure someone has mentioned this earlier and i agree. I think Watters really has to pick a side to suit the conditions, its gets quite wet (dewy) up at Metricon Stadium this time of year at night so going up with 1 ruckman might free up a spot for TDL, Milera or someone like that may not be in the best 22 atm.

So have we moved on from Geary to the midfield? My memory could be failing me but to me it looks like he's played pretty much backline only, and I don't think I've seen him line up in the guts once.

Yeah I've only seen him in the backline this preseason, including the intra-club game.
I prefer Gears down back, as his determination & application is similiar to Steve Baker. Though Bakes played often as a defensive midfielder, & very well, he was outstanding on the oppositions most dangerous small forward week in week out. With a lack of small defenders, Gears fits the role. At times his field kicking can be sloppy, though by hand he's very proficient. Gilbert is looking very good in the midfield, quite keen to see him in the guts in Rd1.

This can go here for now as its most relevant thread we have at moment ---- NO open training for Saints fans in Queensland before round 1 clash vs Gold Coast. (due to Good Friday)

That leaves us pretty thin for small defenders. Does Wright come into consideration? Geary is our only small defender unless Gilbert or Newnes go back which would open up a midfield spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Round 1, Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back