Preview Round 1 - St Kilda v Melbourne, Saturday March 25th, 4:35pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we're nearly there. And oh boy, is it a hot one.

Last time:
St Kilda 15.20.110 def Melbourne 11.8.74

Melbourne led at QT but were blown away after that...I don't like thinking about that day.

My best 22:

B: Hibberd OMac Garland
HB: Lewis TMac Hunt
C: Stretch Viney Melksham
HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
F: Salem Weideman Neal-Bullen
R: Gawn Jones Tyson
Int: Brayshaw Oliver Bugg Harmes

------------------------------------------------

Jetta misses due to no JLT, as does Pedersen and BenKen. I'm assuming Kent misses Rd1 with injury as does Garlett. Smith is borderline - could be instead of Harmes. Could always swap Melksham and Lewis too.

Gee, our backline stocks are thin. No Jetta, Hibberd touch and go, no Wagner...

Last edited:

Last time:

Melbourne led at QT but were blown away after that...I don't like thinking about that day.

My best 22:

F: Salem Hogan Neal-Bullen

Jetta misses due to no JLT, as does Pedersen and BenKen. I'm assuming Kent misses Rd1 with injury as does Garlett. Smith is borderline - could be instead of Harmes. Could always swap Melksham and Lewis too.

I'd be surprised if Judy plays with Milkshakes fit.

Last time:

My best 22:

F: Salem Hogan Neal-Bullen

Ideal.

374de784c7e619d36433177ae17350cf.jpg

Pretty cool by the Saints, really interesting they have a non Saints player on their website.

374de784c7e619d36433177ae17350cf.jpg

Pretty cool by the Saints, really interesting they have a non Saints player on their website.
That's actually very cool. If their media department want to build up this rivalry this is going up. Really shows they're keen to lock horns with us, but is respectful of us as an opposition. How odd and unusual for an AFL website, I really like the idea they've gone with. Using their website background to build up Round 1

If Roo lines up on the wing could we chuck Hogan on him n go head to head obviously have defense pick him up going forward but Hulk could hurt him the other way while teaching him a ****load. Could then play Spencer play Gawn 50 50forward ruck he'll be good for a couple monster marks n goals Hogan chim in for a couple. Drop harmes. Prob a stupid idea but with Hogan playing up the ground n trialling 2ruckmen in JLT i wouldnt mind it

If Roo lines up on the wing could we chuck Hogan on him n go head to head obviously have defense pick him up going forward but Hulk could hurt him the other way while teaching him a ****load. Could then play Spencer play Gawn 50 50forward ruck he'll be good for a couple monster marks n goals Hogan chim in for a couple. Drop harmes. Prob a stupid idea but with Hogan playing up the ground n trialling 2ruckmen in JLT i wouldnt mind it

Far from the worst idea but I doubt we'll play two rucks. I do like the out of the box thinking though, it is something Goodwin would consider I reckon.

Well done saints media dept. Looks ace.

I'm pretty sure our website still has Guy Rigoni on the banner
Hey, some of us love some Riggers

I will be interested to see how Goodwin has changed your game plan and also how the dees will go defensively against us.

This game will be a ripper.

I think with how we've played so far, it is going to be a lot of end to end stuff. It'll get stuck between the half forward lines if both teams drop off with their skills or the pressure is immense, but I reckon we're in for a lot of goals.

Did Richardson try and go defensive much last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be interested to see how Goodwin has changed your game plan and also how the dees will go defensively against us.

This game will be a ripper.
Me too. I think it fair to warn everyone right now that if we get smashed I'm not likely to handle it well. If Saints could just lose a bit, purely for mental health compassionate reasons, that would be nice.

While we're all temporarily being supportive of each other's teams, I'm interested in seeing how Carlisle goes. He's a pretty weird cat, but I reckon if he can be coached well and retain focus he will be an out and out gun. If not, he could be a bit of an on again off again bloke, sort of like Tippett. But worth the risk I think, his potential is massive.

Far from the worst idea but I doubt we'll play two rucks. I do like the out of the box thinking though, it is something Goodwin would consider I reckon.
Yeah i wouldnt think so either but with Gawn and Spencer both saying the coaches want to see how it goes maybe its what they'll do for some games. Just think Gawn forward is such a weapon for us and we havent got a backup actually capable of rucking 20%. We would be ****ed if Longer and Hickey both played for that 20% i reckon. Also need to stop Roo some how. Hogan is still young could show him what he needs to do every game to be a star and frees him up. Actually liked Spencers attack on ball/players first 2 JLT matches but obviously have to see how it goes with limited rotations and bench this week if he is named?

I think with how we've played so far, it is going to be a lot of end to end stuff. It'll get stuck between the half forward lines if both teams drop off with their skills or the pressure is immense, but I reckon we're in for a lot of goals.

Did Richardson try and go defensive much last year?
Not really Richo does prefer to attack and most of our defenders are good at rebounding however St Kilda has lacked the big defenders to stop teams from getting easy goals from key forwards due to Dempster being undersized and Fisher being cooked.

Cooksen, would Richo seriously consider playing all of Membrey/Bruce/Paddy/Riewoldt/Hickey/Longer? That's a bloody tall side, I know Roo can run all day but even so you'd be worried about the ball hitting the deck.

Really sweating on Kent, Garlett, Jetta, Hibberd. We need them

Don't think Jeffy or Kent will get up. Jetta a complete unknown. Hibb is likely, was a late issue and sounds like they're being precautionary with him.

Not really Richo does prefer to attack and most of our defenders are good at rebounding however St Kilda has lacked the big defenders to stop teams from getting easy goals from key forwards due to Dempster being undersized and Fisher being cooked.

Man, there is going to be a lot of goals in round 1. 30+ easily imo

Cooksen, would Richo seriously consider playing all of Membrey/Bruce/Paddy/Riewoldt/Hickey/Longer? That's a bloody tall side, I know Roo can run all day but even so you'd be worried about the ball hitting the deck.
Membrey can play numerous role up forward and will most likely be our 3rd tall but i can see going in too tall as a disadvange if your defenders can get the ball out quick and I think we would only go in with one ruckman.

I see our team come round 1 being.

Dempster - Brown - Geary
Savage - Carlisle - Roberton
Newnes - Ross - Riewoldt
Weller - McCartin - Gresham
Wright - Bruce - Membrey
Hickey - Steven - Armitage
Steele - Gilbert - Billings - Dunstan

M
Membrey can play numerous role up forward and will most likely be our 3rd tall but i can see going in too tall as a disadvange if your defenders can get the ball out quick and I think we would only go in with one ruckman.

Dempster - Brown - Geary
Newnes - Ross - Riewoldt
Wright - Bruce - Membrey
Montagna?

Dempster - Brown - Geary
Newnes - Ross - Riewoldt
Wright - Bruce - Membrey
Who would be back-up ruck? Bruce?
And we too might have trouble playing 3 tall forwards against that defence running it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back