Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Burton can eat a bag of ficks the way he gave it to the Hawks cheersquad at the endđź–•

Lol Ryan can enjoy playing in the SANFL next week.

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped for his effort.

Shit bloke and shit player.

Had I not watched any of the game and just checked in later to see that we'd lost by 1 point, I'd be wrapped with that, considering I thought we were gonna get flogged. Obviously, would have loved to have won, but heaps to like about today and a good learning for the lads.

Will Day could be top 5 in the comp if he stays fit. Poetry in motion!

It’s on me. 12 points up and they kicked that point I said to a fellow watcher, they’ll get a get a goal from a free and kick another with seconds to go. Tattslotto numbers to follow. Winner of the 3rd at Flemington is FIIK

Shame on you 🤣🤣🤣. On to next weeks game V lions

I was at the game, and have to say that’s the worst loss I have ever witnessed besides the 2012 GF. Yes we have ourselves to blame but the umpiring in the last 5 mins was not just shit, it was out and out bonafide cheating. All the port supporters near us were even saying it. I gave a heap of them shit walking back over the bridge and not one person said anything and anyone that said anything agreed. Utterly ****ing disgraceful!!!

Finish suuuuucks, needed a little more composure there, just to hold it in tight, give a lmdinky little handball to a team-mate. They've been doing that so well the last 2 weeks, just lapsed at the death. Sammy wouldn't have been happy. I don't know if they were spent or what instruction came, but that was coming the whole last quarter.

We're going in the right direction kid's let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Dear and Cbol were fantastic for 3 quarters, shame Dear couldn't capitalise, a little bit of that rawness coming through, but his marking and consest were phenomenal for one so young. Chol competed so hard all day.

Tough finish but this team is taking shape, let's get around them and make some noise! Lions at home, bring it on!

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

2012 GF was a gut punch

T'was a kick in the balls for sure, I watched highlights of it a while later..... didn't actually watch a full match replay (I'm a "fan" and can watch Hawthorn heartbreaking matches as well lol) until the week of the 2014 grand final. I have since been able to stomach it a lot more knowing that we got our revenge then!

IF it ain't broke don't fix it... Sam decided to change that theory in the last qtr and it failed miserably.
I think it was pretty clear the team was gassed at 3Q time. We tried to slow the game down by playing the boundary and getting repeat stoppages. Unfortunately Port are a very strong stoppage team and our defensive positioning was sloppy.

I reckon if we’d continued to attack we’d have maybe kicked another couple goals but Port would have kicked another 4 on top of what they did and we’d have lost the lead earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few big points I want to get out there while they're fresh in mind:

Forward half comments:
- Ginnivan was huge for us today. He absolutely gets crucified by the media for anything he does, but jeez he was a leader out there. Giving voice constantly, taking the contest on and flying the flag and most importantly getting around anyone in brown and gold who did anything at all.
I'm absolutely thrilled with how he's performed so far, can't wait for another 10 years of his antics
  • Talking shit about Chol's workrate should be punishable by getting chased down by him where you have a 5m head start. Immense pressure and great decision making today I thought
  • Right now, Dear and Watto are terrified of the big sticks, but jesus christ do they give their all and look like they're the pillars for our future success. Not enough made of Wattos taps, tackles and cheeky hands in all day- as soon as he finds his radar he's going to be a terror. Dear has taken football seriously for all of 24 months, if that. His hands are elite, as is his pressure. Bollocks to Walter from GCS, Dear will be the marquee player from the 23 draft.

Backline comments:
  • No Scrim and no Sic left us a little at sea for talls. Serong had a good defensive game I thought, but offensively was slow and second guessed himself. Give him time, but he isn't there yet
  • Easy looked good. Keep him in for another few I'd say.
  • Mitchell needs some love, had a great game bar two or three moments.
  • Frost is the kind of person you love to have on your side. Having an incredible season- see you in 2025

Midfield comments:
  • did their job
  • Meek started on fire, but as those around him lost confidence it was clear he did too
  • Welcome back, Cj.
  • Day lifts us all, him and Moore are future leaders. Give them co-captaincy when Sic hands over the band.

Coach comments:
  • Day going behind the play cost us massively in the end. Needed him around the pill.
  • Needed to be firmer on the tag on JHF. He was the sole reason they won that game, you can't convince me otherwise
  • Give the man all his magnets and I'm confident we don't go super defensive in the last; I think that was due to a little distrust of the conditions and young pillars.

Arguably the most important game for us to review. The tape will be worth its weight in gold when we're competing.

It should have been Cameron Mackenize making those kicks late on, not Jai Newcombe.

Newcombe had a stinker after quarter time. What is happening to him this season? He's played three great games, but every other game has been pretty disappointing, he would pretty much have one great quarter and then have limited impact.

Brilliant effort for 3 quarters. Attacking, determined, positive football. So proud of the team. We are really building something special.

If this season is still more about development than a win loss ratio, we will hopefully, FINALLY, learn an important lesson about how crucial it is to keep playing positively when there's a whole heap of time left, even if you're five goals up.
Don't get me wrong, I'd take the win every time but if we had just won, the lesson is lost. Trying to find something positive out of that very disappointing/frustrating last quarter ...

People need to relax.

Emotions are fine but it’s football, as Sam says 24 hours of whatever and then relax and move on, lessons learnt.

To people or even the media believing we tried icing the game all of the last, you’re wrong. It was clear that the players were absolutely spent, in a wet game. The decision was made not only tactically but for the benefit of the players, albeit I can see the reasoning. 30 points up, wet game and Port unable to score prior to this. It was wrong and maybe to play with more urgency. Let’s say yellow light instead of red. But weren’t ever going to keep going green, would’ve been overrun way quicker.

Plenty of positives and some lessons, Hawthorn would be in good shape to beat Brisbane this coming week.

Tomorrow I'll rationalise that loss along the lines of:
  • Not playing finals regardless of the result so prefer a higher draft pick
  • Good lesson for a young rebuilding team and relatively inexperienced head coach, rather a loss like that now than in a season or two in a big final, hopefully lesson is learned!
  • If we can keep up that level of performance our chances of landing a free agent is increased
  • Young team improving week to week, great signs against a top 4 side playing interstate.

Right now though none of the above is much of a consolation... 11 points up with 35 seconds to go, that stings.

15 minutes to go and we start playing as if there was 30 seconds on the clock and leading by a point.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Back