Status
Not open for further replies.

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With the Eagles no doubt desperate to right the commentary about their "flat track bully" tag, and the Dogs often referred to similarly because of our record under the roof, this could arguably be our biggest test this year, depending on which Eagles team turns up.

After 2 pathetic weeks in a row, it's time for Stringer to get back into his groove, but it's a big test all over the ground, from stopping Kennedy, to the midfield battle, to combating the "Web", it's a big day and a significant result if we can get it done.

Go Dogs.

Would be great if someone stands up and kicks a bag today. Hasn't happened for a while. I like a spread of goalkickers but I like a spread of goalkickers with dominant forwards even more

I feel positive about today. Let's turn our home ground advantage into a big win.

The club's Twitter account said the team is unchanged a half hour ago, not sure if that means much though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upload_2016-6-5_9-53-25.png

upload_2016-6-5_9-50-18.png

SUMMARY
Sitting fifth and sixth respectively, West Coast and the Bulldogs both have questions marks hanging over heads going into one of the matches of the round. The Dogs looked far from their best in the win over Collingwood, with poor ball use and decision-making nearly costing them the game. The Eagles on the other hand will be out to end a three-match losing streak in Melbourne, and dispel the theory they can't play their best footy away from home. While Luke Beveridge's men will be happy to be back at their fortress Etihad Stadium after a three-week break, the deadly fast track won't help stop Josh Kennedy. The star forward has destroyed the Bulldogs will regularity in the past, kicking 42 goals against them in just nine outings. But with Dogs now boasting the AFL's stingiest defence, they should prove too strong on their home deck.

Opposition watch

West Coast stats

West Coast have named Andrew Gaff and Elliot Yeo in their side for Sunday’s match, after both missed the Eagles’ victory against Gold Coast in round 10.

Gaff was averaging 30 disposals a game before suffering a concussion in round nine and missing the following match.

Yeo is averaging 18 disposals from his eight matches this year.

Stats box

- Ranked 1st in league for hitouts

- Ranked 2nd in league for marks inside 50

- Ranked 3rd in league for contested possessions

- Ranked 3rd in league for clearances

- Ranked 4th in league for stoppages

- Ranked 4th in league for goals

Talking heads

“They’re very proactive with what they do and their pressure is their number one asset we see.

“Their ability to restrict your scoring is where they’ve really improved this year, number one by a mile with scores against and also their contested ball.”

West Coast Eagles coach Adam Simpson

Last time we met

Round 21, 23 August 2015. Western Bulldogs defeated by West Coast Eagles 85-162 at Etihad Stadium. Robert Murphy had 27 disposals, Jack Macrae had 25 disposals and Jake Stringer kicked five goals.

upload_2016-6-5_9-56-11.png

THE SIX POINTS
1. The last time these teams played it was a tale of two halves. West Coast led by only 16 points at half-time, but kicked 14 second-half goals to four, including nine in the final quarter. Josh Kennedy was the star with 21 disposals, 14 marks and seven goals.

2. The umpires might be busy during this game. West Coast is the top ranked team for free kicks with 22.8 per match, just ahead of second placed Western Bulldogs with 22.1 free kicks per game.

3. The teams meet for the 49th time and the Eagles hold the advantage with 31 wins to 16 and one draw. Since 2011 it's six wins to two in the Eagles' favour.

4. The Bulldogs continue to be the number one disposal side in 2016, averaging 437.4 per game, with Lachie Hunter ranked third in the AFL with a total of 310.

5. There have been eight clashes at Etihad Stadium, with five wins to three in West Coast's favour. This is the Eagles' first and only Etihad game in 2016.

6. Both sides have a representative in Schick AFL Player Ratings' top 10, with Nic Naitanui sitting in sixth spot. Bulldog young gun Marcus Bomtempelli is breathing down the Eagles' ruckman's neck in seventh position after a impressive start to 2016.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …

468562080-jake-stringer-of-the-bulldogs-kicks-on-goal-gettyimages.jpg

Jake Stringer.

While still only 22, the dynamic forward does have a habit of being really on or really off. Against the Magpies last week, Stringer barely got near the footy,and it was the thirdtime he's gone goalless this season. With 15 of his 21 goals coming at Etihad Stadium this season, the odds favour another bag.

PREDICTION: The Bulldogs should put a damper on Josh Hill's 150th to win comfortably by 48 points

Great write up Mike___

If the Dogs want to earn some respect from the other teams then this is a must win for you. I think that you deserve to be favourites for the game but it's a bit closer than the current odds on offer.

WCE will be desperate to win this to shake of the FTB tag. I think the game will resemble the round 1 game from last year where it will be close for the whole day.

I'm expecting that we will win this as we have a bit more to lose in regards to a top 4 finish and the FTB thing. At the start of the year WCE would've pencilled in as a must win at all costs game and that's the only reason I think we will win.

Having said that not confident at all and Doggies getting up wouldn't surprise me either way.

This should be a ripper of a game as we are very, very even today.

Best of luck.

West Coast was my preseason tip to play off for this year's flag. Last year they had long term injuries to key players, particularly defenders. This time around they are at full strength and a win over them will finally convince me that we are the real deal. They really do look awesome across all lines and may have too much experience and power for some of our smaller, younger players. That said, I am generally a pessimist when it comes to our fortunes against strong opponents but if we play at our very best we are a good chance. This is a not to be missed game. Roll up, roll up.

Great write up Mike___

If the Dogs want to earn some respect from the other teams then this is a must win for you. I think that you deserve to be favourites for the game but it's a bit closer than the current odds on offer.

WCE will be desperate to win this to shake of the FTB tag. I think the game will resemble the round 1 game from last year where it will be close for the whole day.

I'm expecting that we will win this as we have a bit more to lose in regards to a top 4 finish and the FTB thing. At the start of the year WCE would've pencilled in as a must win at all costs game and that's the only reason I think we will win.

Having said that not confident at all and Doggies getting up wouldn't surprise me either way.

This should be a ripper of a game as we are very, very even today.

Best of luck.
What a good team you were last year and I'm scratching my head trying to work out why you haven't taken the next step. Be interested to see how Duggan and Sheed are going as they are where the improvement is going to come from, otherwise can't see the Eagles getting back to top 2 where they need to be for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nervous times with the rumour of wood being out and Williams not playing in the vfl today.
Anyways, should be a blistering game today. We are going to need stringer, Dickson, McLean and redpath to kick a bag today. Imo we are going to need a bag kicked between our mids as well. Not to mention our backline have to keep on top of the West coast scoring machines in darling, Kennedy and lecras.

Who will Adams go to? Kennedy? Or will Morris get the gig?

What a good team you were last year and I'm scratching my head trying to work out why you haven't taken the next step. Be interested to see how Duggan and Sheed are going as they are where the improvement is going to come from, otherwise can't see the Eagles getting back to top 2 where they need to be for a while.
Might be a confidence thing coming from the GF as we were well and truly flogged, that score line flattered us in the end.

Injuries this year have been OK & with Jetta, Redden and MacKenzie in the side you'd think we would be better. We're just short a player like Stringer or similar quality.

I still have us to finish top 4 but we're not as convincing as last year. I don't think we can win it this year but anything can happen towards the end of the year. A couple of injuries here and there and sides can even up pretty quickly.

It's good to see the Doggies up and running again, I loved the 90's when we were both strong.

Might be a confidence thing coming from the GF as we were well and truly flogged, that score line flattered us in the end.

Injuries this year have been OK & with Jetta, Redden and MacKenzie in the side you'd think we would be better. We're just short a player like Stringer or similar quality.

I still have us to finish top 4 but we're not as convincing as last year. I don't think we can win it this year but anything can happen towards the end of the year. A couple of injuries here and there and sides can even up pretty quickly.

It's good to see the Doggies up and running again, I loved the 90's when we were both strong.
You should make top 4, all your difficult games are at home after this.

Nervous times with the rumour of wood being out and Williams not playing in the vfl today.
Anyways, should be a blistering game today. We are going to need stringer, Dickson, McLean and redpath to kick a bag today. Imo we are going to need a bag kicked between our mids as well. Not to mention our backline have to keep on top of the West coast scoring machines in darling, Kennedy and lecras.

I'm less nervous now. We always have a non playing emergency so if Wood was out Williams and Honeychurch would be missing from the reserves in case someone gets injured in the warm up etc.

Adams would match Kennedy physically but he would outsmart him with leading patterns & body positioning, Morris would be ok with that but not as strong. But I'd send Adams to Kennedy & back him in, Moz will need to take Lycett when he's down there cos he is going to be a headache

Sheed has been injured all year and is yet to play a game. Duggan has been steady. Done some nice things that give you an insight into the player he will be, but not yet consistently at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back