Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Hawks stone the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw most of the final quarter live. Watched the full replay last night.

Not enough being said about Scrimshaw's first quarter in particular. What a player he's becoming.

Chol had a far better game to the naked eye than his stats suggest. Also stiff to be goalless yesterday after Calsher's kick bounced through. Was going to be a free kick to Mabs from 15 metres out.

The manic pressure is what stood out the most. This was a team who suddenly appear to be firing on all cylinders. It doesn't feel like a flash dawn either. It feels sustainable!

Thought a crowd of 36 000 was disappointing though.
Even if was a neutral in Melbourne I probably would have gone to this game.

I think this was actually a pretty good crowd (historically) - the fixture is always pretty packed in Adelaide, and then the Melbourne attendance can be pretty good if both teams are in form. So getting 36K when neither of us is even nudging the 8 right now suggests Hawk fans are getting around the team.

At the ground it was obviously pretty noticeable the amount of empty seats, but the atmosphere was still good.

Prompted me to look at some attendance figures btw -

We hosted them at the G in Round 3 2012 when we were both inside the 8, got 33K.

Didn't host them at all H&A in the treble years when our attendances were significantly up.

Round 5 2016 we were still in flag contention and got 45K, but that was a Friday night game, which we don't seem to get anymore.

Round 2 2017 was decent at 37K; Adelaide were 2nd though, so I wonder if they got a few more people to the game b/c of that.

Round 13 2018 only 26K for a Sat night game.

After than you get into Covid territory, so it's an odd comparison. But eg. we had 18K at Marvel Round 17 2022.

Thought Nicks’ presser was a bit ungracious. Basically no credit to the Hawks for the win, basically insinuated that it was they who lost it and blamed their “worst quarter in years”.

Typical.

Had we actually some sort of killer instinct, this would be 100+

He should thank us for keeping it close

I'm not sure about the new holding the ball 'amendment' like everybody else is.

Jai getting a classic Jai Newcombe handball out to a team mate while being tackled but being pinged for 'taking too long' absolutely infuriated me.

Might take away one of his strengths.

Seamus dead stiff twice yesterday too.
I think it’s way better for the game. Actually feels like footy again. Can’t stand good tackles not being rewarded

Thought Nicks’ presser was a bit ungracious. Basically no credit to the Hawks for the win, basically insinuated that it was they who lost it and blamed their “worst quarter in years”.
I felt the same watching it. You'd think when you've been strangled by a young team's pressure you'd tip your hat to that and maybe reflect that the downhill skiiing against WC might not have been all that beneficial.

He did get around to it eventually, but then immediately back to grizzling about his team being crap. :D

I think it’s way better for the game. Actually feels like footy again. Can’t stand good tackles not being rewarded

This is true, however they are too quick paying ones that aren't there. In my example, Jai was in full control of the situation while being tackled. He deserved the appropriate time to dispose of the ball and wasn't given it.

Seamus was tackled immediately after grabbing the footy, then attempted to throw an arm at it while on the ground to prove he was trying to get it out. Resulted in their first goal of the game. Was a horrific decision.

Oh I don’t know
There were some in the game day thread who thought we were going ok because “Adelaide were playing horrific football” :drunk:

I know some expect more from croc but have a good look at him up close, we forget how ' Young' some of these kids are! Need to relax a bit when things aren't going our way. I for one, think opposite, playing a high half frwd role, linking up between the arcs and at the same time asked to hit the scoreboard! Not easy. Coming along nicely for a 21 year old .
Remember, analyse his game as a half frwd not an inside/ outside mid. That's when perspective can help.
He really ran hard today and does the hard things consistently, I loved his effort against not one, not two but three Crows on the wing. They are the sort of things that win footy matches!!

I think Nicks is a huge campaigner. One of the most unlikable coaches in the league.

I still remember when he was on 360 with Sam. Robbo and Gerard were discussing the signage we hold up at various stages of the game and having a bit of a laugh as the signs can be odd.

They then ask Nicks if his team does it and he makes a side mouthed smart ass comment like ‘we don’t bother with that nonsense we just let our footy do the talking’

I’ve been tilted ever since hahaha

I'm not sure about the new holding the ball 'amendment' like everybody else is.

Jai getting a classic Jai Newcombe handball out to a team mate while being tackled but being pinged for 'taking too long' absolutely infuriated me.

Might take away one of his strengths.

Seamus dead stiff twice yesterday too.

Jai will benefit from the new interpretation. He lays a lot of tackles.

This is true, however they are too quick paying ones that aren't there. In my example, Jai was in full control of the situation while being tackled. He deserved the appropriate time to dispose of the ball and wasn't given it.

Seamus was tackled immediately after grabbing the footy, then attempted to throw an arm at it while on the ground to prove he was trying to get it out. Resulted in their first goal of the game. Was a horrific decision.
Think it'll balance itself out. Agree with the Jai one, but thought a Crows player copped something similar. Seamus I think did himself a disservice by doing the fish flop in the tackle, made the umpire think it could have come out (but 100% agree he had no prior and shouldn't have been pinged).

Saw a couple in the West Coast-Saints game that were worse and didn’t get paid. Frosty held Fogarty when the ball was over the boundary line and got pinged. Reid was clearly taken high over the boundary line and it was a throw in. Which is it AFL?

I would be impressed by them whistling quicker for ball ups. They are waiting way too long, even after the change in interpretation, to just ping someone.

Some of the HTB's have been outrageous, for example Mitchell's one which lead to their first goal.

There were 50 free kicks in the game. There's just way too much IMO. As if they can't a balance and simply adjudicate it properly, giving players some actual prior opportunity and not pinging them immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has definitely improved the game for the fans. I was a bit grumpy about a few of them - eg. the Crows third goal where our defender picked the ball up and was immediately tackled... ie. if you can be done for HTB with no opportunity at all, where's the incentive to be first to the ball. But it's still way better to see tackling get rewarded. Probably just need to make sure they keep a good balance.
I thought at the time that the player getting tackled did have both arms free and could have handballed and the "attempt" was adjudged to be not genuine - or maybe I am thinking of their first goal (was definitely at the city end)

Some of the HTB's have been outrageous, for example Mitchell's one which lead to their first goal.

There were 50 free kicks in the game. There's just way too much IMO. As if they can't a balance and simply adjudicate it properly, giving players some actual prior opportunity and not pinging them immediately.
They seem reluctant to ball it up because it's "slower". Happy to give a shit free kick and move the ball that way

Typical.

Had we actually some sort of killer instinct, this would be 100+

He should thank us for keeping it close
It’s so good to see the end of the blind dump from the centre square a-la Tom Mitchell. Even Worpel has stopped doing it, they’re now bursting through and drilling passes. It seems the opposition mostly scores on the back of a Hawks turnover or a free kick, it’s just happening less often as we become more skilled. I can’t believe how well set up the Hawks were yesterday. The machine is building nicely.

It’s so good to see the end of the blind dump from the centre square a-la Tom Mitchell. Even Worpel has stopped doing it, they’re now bursting through and drilling passes. It seems the opposition mostly scores on the back of a Hawks turnover or a free kick, it’s just happening less often as we become more skilled. I can’t believe how well set up the Hawks were yesterday. The machine is building nicely.

The Machine is getting a good oil.

I thought we were in 2006 levels of development, but we could be pushing parts of 2007. Do we have a flag in us next year?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF

He really ran hard today and does the hard things consistently, I loved his effort against not one, not two but three Crows on the wing. They are the sort of things that win footy matches!!

He has definitely upped the defensive side of his game in the past couple of weeks. He is more aggressive too and people suddenly start to notice. He looks a serious player when he adds that to his game.

Ignacious Constantino 22 possessions, 2 goals 3 behinds (also would have had a shot on goal if CJ hadn't off been stupid and got ball reversed) 9 score involvements, 8 inside 50's and you want to drop him. Yes should have passed to Dear in 3rd quarter but Ginni has been fantastic for us
Ginny is a forward - forwards are hungry - modern forwards pass off and dribble when shooting a goal - he is a real forward - when the pressure is on he will deliver and not wilt.

I thought at the time that the player getting tackled did have both arms free and could have handballed and the "attempt" was adjudged to be not genuine - or maybe I am thinking of their first goal (was definitely at the city end)

I think he could have elected to tap it forwards instead of taking it out of the air, but the tackle took both arms immediately. So if opportunity means that decision (and maybe risking a deliberate... was hard to see from the far pocket), then maybe that's why? TBH I thought we got the better of the decisions across the game anyway so not too bothered.

Yep, Worpel's change in ball use has been immense. Always keeping it low when going inside 50. Biting off 45 degree kicks into the corridor from half back and wing. And prioritizing the handball to the moving teammate in clearance.

That, and a more consistent shrugging technique as opposed to the don't-argues have changed him as a player.

Seamus was not really trying he could have made the handball. Whether that handball would have been beneficial (given that there was no one to pass it to) isn't the point; he rolled the dice on whether he would be judged genuine or not genuine attempt. I was looking to see if they would be consistently hot on the genuine vs not genuine after that

Not enough being said about Scrimshaw's first quarter in particular. What a player he's becoming.

Chol had a far better game to the naked eye than his stats suggest. Also stiff to be goalless yesterday after Calsher's kick bounced through. Was going to be a free kick to Mabs from 15 metres out.

The manic pressure is what stood out the most. This was a team who suddenly appear to be firing on all cylinders. It doesn't feel like a flash dawn either. It feels sustainable!

Sorry BH42 am away in Vietnam on holidays. But great news WIFI on the plane so was cheering the lads on all the way. One thing, a nice surprise is how quickly our new guys have evolved into a close knit unit. Chol, Ginnivan, Ambrosia Gunston then Dear and the new improved Meek now clicking, then low and behold up pops Reeves and gets the job done. We have contender written all over us.

Scrim has been great. He has taken on the challenge set by sam and become the player everyone could see was possible but had not yet arrived. Great coaching and a great response from scrim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Hawks stone the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back