Preview Round 12, 2024: West Coast v St.Kilda - Optus Stadium - Saturday 1st June, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went back and had a look at these 17 clearances.

5 of them, he is starting at half back, so his actual CBA win% is 14%

Of the remaining 12, I could only find one effective kick - with a minute left on the clock vs Fremantle. The rest are indiscriminate toepokes off the ground (all ineffective), handballs to Marshall/Steele, or round the corner bombs to half forward resulting in turnovers.

Quantity does not equal quality, and rarely have his clearances ended up to our advantage. Would much rather him distributing off half back than trying to extract.

What did Marshall or Steele do with the ball once they received the handball? We've had too many indiscriminate bombs from centre clearances this season, so I'd rather see a good handball play someone into space if that is what took place.

Bad weather?

Will help us if it’s a tussle? Will slow down their new star?

Or will hurt us?
Nas, Hill, Sincs etc. our good disposers, will be less effective?
Hard to tell when it’s a dog’s breakfast forward of the ball.

One thing
Wilkie will be watching the early games carefully on TV for the new rules. He is one of the reasons they are making it, as an expert at the ‘straight-jacket-poko-trap’ , bobbing up and down standing while ‘trapped’ aiming for a ball up.

I guess this means there will be a lot more spillages and with a wet ball, I think playes like Byrnes, Jones might be useful. Steele especially and probably Hill too. Those that can get their hands on it.

Or Nas’s class will help with his finger/hands.

Edit: and maybe Hunter C!

Andrew Gaff to earn a recall and tear us a new one.

west-coast.jpg

Ruckman Matt Flynn is on the verge of making his club debut after returning from a tendon injury in the WAFL, with the former Greater Western Sydney big man a potential inclusion this week. The Eagles are also confident speedy forward/midfielder Jack Petruccelle will be available after missing with an ankle injury. In the WAFL, midfielder Jai Culley has been solid since returning from an ACL injury and is building match fitness. Zane Trew (36 disposals and five inside 50s) is in excellent touch, while veteran wingman Andrew Gaff (34 and six) could soon be rewarded for his professional approach at state-league level. – Nathan Schmook

Last week's sub: Tyrell Dewar (replaced Alex Witherden)

5 of them, he is starting at half back, so his actual CBA win% is 14%
I count 4:

1 v dogs
1 v giants
2 v tigers

Which one do you say I'm missing?

Of the remaining 12, I could only find one effective kick - with a minute left on the clock vs Fremantle. The rest are indiscriminate toepokes off the ground (all ineffective), handballs to Marshall/Steele, or round the corner bombs to half forward resulting in turnovers.

This is complete nonsense to suggest his 12/13 centre square clearances were ineffective bar one.

Yes there are a few toepokes and whacks forward in there- like all centre square mids like cripps rowell etc would have.

Getting a quick 40m kick forward to a 50/50 contest is WAY better than the opposition sending it 40 metres in the total opposite direction.

Most of them (including toepokes and whacks fwd) went to our advantage or at bare minimum a 50/50 contest.

You're being very disengenious describing his 12/13 centre clearances (where he started in the square) as ineffective.

I can post gifs of all 13 of them here for others to judge?
I don't think your characterisation of all but 1 of them being ineffective would be shared by many/any others.

Last edited:
If it was identified, agreed to and acknowledged that the list needed considerable work and rebuilding when Ross was signed, a lot of this clearly becomes redundant.

Given that was heavily alluded to at the time by Bassatt, a lot of the restructuring occurred in response to the review, and people not doing a good job got shown the door, what exactly is the problem then.

We’ve known for years this list is middle of the road at best. Let the cobblers cobble now. If Lyon’s not the man, the results will show that and he’ll inevitably get shown the door. We as supporters are hardly going to change the course of action and set a match to this list as implied, which by all standards is already a charcoal pit.

We’re hardly going to bang down the door in the next 2-3 years regardless. If you disagree, power to you.

For better or worse we have him for another season and if shit gets real bad he will be gone before he sees the year out.

We definitely aren't as bad as we've been performing but you can see the players have completely lost confidence the last few weeks. A win against the Eagles in Perth could be huge for that. Eagles are another young side who are up and down, their best footy (with our worst) will put us to the sword so we need to start strongly this week and that needs to come from our senior players.

Champion Data were saying West Coast in WA are playing like a top 8 side and away from home they play like a bottom side. Trust us to play them there.

Random one but I would love to see Liam Oconnel get a game this week. Not because he’s been the best performed but because he brings , toughness, speed and intensity. Something we’ve lacked.

Get him a game early and see how fast his development accelerates. It’s funny of the many Irishman who have come through I think at this stage he would have to be one of the most advanced

Random one but I would love to see Liam Oconnel get a game this week. Not because he’s been the best performed but because he brings , toughness, speed and intensity. Something we’ve lacked.

Get him a game early and see how fast his development accelerates. It’s funny of the many Irishman who have come through I think at this stage he would have to be one of the most advanced
Hastie's probably more likely at this stage. Liam is probably tracking ahead of my expectations at this stage though.

Hastie's probably more likely at this stage. Liam is probably tracking ahead of my expectations at this stage though.

O'Connell looks like he's in competition with Schoenmaker and if he can't get a run I can't see O'Connell jumping him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion Data were saying West Coast in WA are playing like a top 8 side and away from home they play like a bottom side. Trust us to play them there.
Think we play them here too?

Collard has done nothing to warrant a game , we need to stop gifting games
I would agree, but he did get a game. A few of them actually, so I'd rather keep him in for a bit to see what he's got rather than yanking him around and destroying his confidence. We already kept Phillipou in the seniors for about a month too long

I know results from week to week often doesn't hold up but in our case the form around our matchup with West Coast is recent. Melbourne made us look second rate but only a week earlier in Perth they looked very ordinary against the Eagles.
A continuance of that form at the same venue and the Eagles should be hot favorites.

I know results from week to week often doesn't hold up but in our case the form around our matchup with West Coast is recent. Melbourne made us look second rate but only a week earlier in Perth they looked very ordinary against the Eagles.
A continuance of that form at the same venue and the Eagles should be hot favorites.

Once again WC show the importance of confidence to performance. Something of which we are very low on at the moment.

Their home ground wins will put them in good stead for Saturday’s game.

Make no mistake, if we manage to get up against them it will be a great effort, no matter how much the media will attempt to play it down.

Once again WC show the importance of confidence to performance. Something of which we are very low on at the moment.

Their home ground wins will put them in good stead for Saturday’s game.

Make no mistake, if we manage to get up against them it will be a great effort, no matter how much the media will attempt to play it down.

The Champion Data guy was saying at home they are playing like a top 4 side and are totally uncompetitive away.

The AFL have this week in the middle of the season announced a direction to the umpires to drastically change their subjective interpretation of what is/isn't holding the ball.

Gee I'd hate to be playing in front of a crowd that can sway umpir......

Tv Land Reaction GIF by [HASH=785530]#Impastor[/HASH]
Our mids have prepared for this, can't get pinged if you're always second to the ball...

No mention whatsoever about Hugo?

Hey track watchers, has Hugo trained this week? It's all a bit odd.
Hugo is definitely out there today. Get the feeling his workload is being managed.

Stock looks like he's picked up something, didn't see it but hopefully its just a knock/corkie.

Hall's first kick was a dead set shocker, scrubbed a 15m pass and missed the target by 10 metres. All of his other kicks have been cm perfect, but it did make me giggle.

Overheard some reporters saying Ross' press conference was boring and disappointing, spoke of working on improving things - unsure of what he expects him to say...

Crouch will be in, lads training well in very windy conditions. Ross more relaxed compared to last couple of weeks - maybe we are taking pressure off them, maybe too many cameras are around.

Keels running laps, Marshall was as well. Keels is a specimen, can't wait to see him become a regular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back