Autopsy Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn mauls Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

How much Brockman impacted the contest will likely be the only thing that gets Sicily off.

All the AFL will look at is Sicily brought McCluggage to the ground and he’s concussed.

Regardless of if Brockman was there or not though Sicily was always going to be in trouble for that tackle. He got himself in an awkward position so the only way to tackle McCluggage was going to lead to his head hitting or being close to the ground.

I don’t necessarily like the rule but it’s been how the AFL have been adjudicating it.

I love that Dylan Moore loves Hawthorn as much as we all do.

I would think our coaches would not want Sicily to change the way he plays one bit.
The edginess he plays with is what makes him a great player and separates him from most AFL players.
Sadly the rules seem to more and more cater for the passive,less exuberant types.
Add the faux outrage from the media and poor Sic is copping it unfairly from everywhere.

Again bramble is an asset and a liability and to me a huge liability. I don’t want to win flags with someone who doesn’t go when it’s his turn. He doesn’t. We must move past him. Draft Darcy Wilson and we do.
I'm not averse to drafting Wilson but we've got McCabe coming in which means Weddle can move to a wing. We need another tall forward more than anything else.

I would think our coaches would not want Sicily to change the way he plays one bit.
The edginess he plays with is what makes him a great player and separates him from most AFL players.
Sadly the rules seem to more and more cater for the passive,less exuberant types.
Add the faux outrage from the media and poor Sic is copping it unfairly from everywhere.
Yes and no. If he keeps missing games, the coaches will want him to change some things, whether we like the rules or not. He’s our best player and we need him playing

Was my first game live for nearly 4 years (Roughy’s last at Marvel when he kicked 5). With Covid, moving to Queensland (with no Qld games for 3 years). Was also first game as MCC member as that also came through since left Melbourne. So was pumped for a big day and went in looking forward to just seeing the hawks live. Couldn’t of got a better day! Loved the run, the never say die attitude. Reminded me a lot of going to see the 05 hawks with lots of kids show flashes of brilliance. Every player played their part and contributed

Tanking hawks, my arse, these boys are going to fly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There were also no major stupid backline moments with Frost out. We looked far more composed. Can’t deny Frosts spirit and enthusiasm but his disposal and decision making at times is woeful.
2 games should be probably seen as a huge win considering the way suspensions have been dolled out this season. Then tack on the fact it's Sicily and he plays for Hawthorn. Probably be luck he doesn't get the death penalty 😂

The biggest thing that saved us was half time. In previous games teams get a run on against us and we wilt - this time Brisbane started their run so close to the end of the quarter. If that quarter goes another 5 minutes I think we’d have been done.
I'm actually glad Brisbane did that to us because that is likely the first thing to be brought up in the game review along side the over use of handball which really coincides with the huge run they had. Definite learning moment and I mentioned yesterday that in times like then we need to be able to switch to a plan B when other teams get on a run like that. In the past during our 3peat era we used to go into our short chip and possess game to kill the other teams momentum. We need something like that.

Gotta the love the footy media. Pretty much pleading for Bont to get off when he chose to bump and player was concussed but want Sicily rubbed out for tackling. They were also questioning the Dan Butler incident which was much worse.

Mitchell should be in the media sticking up for Sicily like Bevo and Chris Scott do. If that goes straight to the tribunal then they should just ban tackling. This sport is a laughing stock.

If you’re winning flags, why does it matter? 🤔
Because winning flags when players go when in its their turn usually means you're winning them easily. When players don't go when in its their turn there's no guarantee you win them at all.

I know you're being sarcastic but I actually agree with him. There's winning and then there's winning the RIGHT way.

Gotta the love the footy media. Pretty much pleading for Bont to get off when he chose to bump and player was concussed but want Sicily rubbed out for tackling. They were also questioning the Dan Butler incident which was much worse.

Mitchell should be in the media sticking up for Sicily like Bevo and Chris Scott do. If that goes straight to the tribunal then they should just ban tackling. This sport is a laughing stock.
I've never seen the media sink the boots into us like this year. Unsure if it's all linked to the racism fiasco, but it's almost daily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily tackled the guy by pulling him onto himself.
I don't think you could show more care for the opposition, and less for yourself than tackling the way Sicily
TBF the tackle from Sicily was ok, it was the collision with Brockman(?) in the tackle that knocked him out. Basically he was cannoned into Brockman’s hip then into the ground.

Sicily pressing himself up on the guy’s body was not a good look.
He does go back to check on him though. I don’t think he realised he was hurt at first, and then noticed he had not got up.

Mitchell did defend Sicily in his post game presser. Pretty much said that at the time he thought it was the perfect tackle. He did add though that he hadn't yet had the chance to watch the replay of it yet and was courteous enough to mention that out of respect / concern for McCluggage that he was glad that he was okay.

Last edited:

By footy media you mean the scum Damien Barrett and no doubt Caro Wilson who will be up and about on Footy Classified with her mob winning.

Sicily tackled the guy by pulling him onto himself.
I don't think you could show more care for the opposition, and less for yourself than tackling the way Sicily did
Can't agree with this post anymore. This is now the new tackling technique by tackling players tackling them onto yourself and the accident is likely a product of that. No one ever wants to see a player lay motionless on the ground but surely the AFL as dumb as they are will see that this incident is a by-product of players changing their tackling techniques.

I reckon the whole AFL world will hope we challenge this if it goes to the tribunal and if we don' then it's likely just another thing that they'll all be angry with us about. Even Barrett said that Sicily was unlucky but will likely cop a week.

Did he sling tackle - no

Did he drive him into the ground - no

Then what the hell has he supposed to have done to warrant a suspension ?

Was no malicious intent when he pushed off after the incident - as another poster noted, players do this all the time and Sis clearly didn’t realise that McCluggage was hurt at this stage

Sad that McCluggage is hurt and will miss a week, however, likely that Brocky’s ACCIDENTAL impact largely contributed to the outcome so Sis has to get the benefit of the doubt if reason and fairness apply - will be an absolute travesty if he gets done for this and is something that the club should strongly challenge if that eventuate

Trial by media flogs - time we called that out and challenged the prime culprits (we know who they are) to explain their inconsistency and duplicity

By footy media you mean the scum Damien Barrett and no doubt Caro Wilson who will be up and about on Footy Classified with her mob winning.
Actually to give Barrett his dues he said on the footy show that he hoped it went to the tribunal and we appeal + win to provide some clarity.

The footy media has whipped themsevles into a frenzy. It's so insane.

1. good tackle, free kick.
2. Oh no, McLuggage is injured.
3. We don't think he did anything wrong
4. The MRO will look at that.
5. He will probably be suspended.

See how weird that sequence gets after point 3?

Again bramble is an asset and a liability and to me a huge liability. I don’t want to win flags with someone who doesn’t go when it’s his turn. He doesn’t. We must move past him. Draft Darcy Wilson and we do.
Good god man, I don’t give a toss who is in the side if we are winning flags. It’s takes all types

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn mauls Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back