Autopsy Round 13, 2024 : Hawks slay the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Derm is overly conscious not to be biased towards us. He also has a soft spot for GWS - has talked them up for years in calls.
Probably, but I love listening to Jack Riewoldt, even when he is barracking for his Tigers. People hated Eddie, but I loved his passion.

Derm and Dunstall both try to not show bias, but sometimes I just wish they would.

Anyhow, what a great day. First half was frustrating watching us waste opportunities. Second half was awesome. Come back, then challenged late and held on.

Will Day was huge all day.
Weddle in the second half probably the match winner.
Calsher Dear rising fast on my favourite player list.
Mass was again huge, although thought he faded a bit in the last qtr.
Backline stood up yet again, and our forward line is really starting to gel
Worps, Newcombe and Nash all had huge second halves.

Loving this season. Didn’t know what to expect and had low expectations so every game like this is so good to watch.

This might be a bit petty.

But this is why I will always hold these blokes in a higher esteem at the club than Issie.

I love everything that Issie did for our club, but felt he won flags and was an opportunity to give back to the club but went to the arch enemy. Broke my heart. That’s why Breust will always be Hwathorn royalty in my eyes. Could’ve left multiple times but didn’t. He won’t be there for the next one, but his knowledge has been passed on to the next generation.
I think it's fair. I'll always be sore at Issie for leaving the Hawks knowing that we wanted him to stay and that he was leaving us with a massive list gap.

Sadly haven’t watched a second of the game yet - was at a family birthday today followed by a dinner - but as I drunkenly catch up on everything in my Uber home right now, all I can note is how proud I am that we are 5 seconds of that port game away from sitting well within the top 8 right now.

What a group of legends. Go hawks.

Worps has become such a great decision-maker and damaging midfielder this season. His raw disposal stats are down but his impact is way up. His ball use and connection with our fwds has been superb this past month or two.

He's added a new dynamic to his game and has evolved beyond what I think many of us thought he could be as a ball user. Awesome season to date
Think Worps has been our best midfielder across the entire season- been consistently good even when we were losing… massively turned it back around the last two seasons…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even exaggerating that was the most ineffectual game I have ever seen Toby Greene play. We absolutely shut him down.
To be fair to Toby, Frost cracked his head open in the first quarter. Blood pouring out.

At the start of the year I would've said Sicily and Lewis are our two most important players structure wise. Now I don't know how Lewis fits into the side.

Absolutely love what we're seeing from the guys each week especially Calsh and Chol up forward.

Day has taken his game to another level and the way he cracks into packs along with Moore sets the expectation for everyone else to do the same and we see guys doing it more and more each week and with repeat efforts.

The club is definitely brewing something special. The way the guys play for each other and are growing as a group (Sam included) is a delight to watch.

Sam Frost has been a whipping boy of pretty much everyone since he got to the club (I hated him) but he's really changed how he plays this year and has changed my opinion completely.

Trading up for Weddle was an absolute masterstroke and I don't know how the kid fell that far for us to get him.

MacDonald has copped it a bit for missing shots late in games that could have won it for us but the fact he keeps getting himself in those positions and has started to adapt to the pressure is huge.

Mass is the steal of the century.

I could go on and on but that will do for now.

What is the word on his injury?
Had back stiffness/tightness on Thursday at main training. Rama flew to Tassie in case he was needed as an emergency. Huge effort by Noodle to stand up for us when we needed him yesterday!

Massive effort by Nash and Weddle to do the big task of battling Briggs for the last half of the game!

This is one of the great posts!

One year we had a post of the year competition and this would be the nomination from this round if it still existed.🤣

As an aside Dermie has previously shown that he's one of the few former player commentators who understands the difference between laconic and lackadaisical and yet today he described Chol as having a laconic bearing.

It was my say it ain't so Joe/ Dermie moment.
I missed that one....

Shaking No Way GIF by Tokyo Cowboys

I am surprised at the number of posters criticising the commentators rather than celebrating a cracking win by the Hawks.
I must congratulate the forwards especially Gunston for their brilliant strategy to minimise Taylor’s influence on the game. Our forward entries have been less predictable recently and the dual aerial threat of Chol and Dear has become a headache for opposition teams. Their mobility and pressure is also outstanding for KPPs.
With regard to commentators I rarely take any notice as television is obviously a visual medium and your eyes not your ears are more important.
The only exception I can think of was Denis Cometti who was both entertaining and informative.

Love Dermie and also feel uncomfortable with people slagging him off for doing his job.
I find the Underwood hatred ridiculous as well. Just mute the ****ing TV!

Dermie is a yapper, but he does try to give unique insight into the game rather than just shouting WOWEE
I too don't get the anger towards Kelli and Derm. I think she does a good job of feeding the special commentators to get their input. And Derm tries to be as neutral as possible (sometimes errs on the side of caution with us).

The media should be looking at all of Mitchell's coaching moves in this game.
1. Taylor was a non event. Took a few marks but Gunston completely took him out of it as the game wore on
2. GWS are super defensive, and I think that's why Amon and Mass played really deep - so we could rebound without coughing it up.
3. The ruck situation - omfg. Ruckman are overrated until you're running around with out one. Most of the time they nullify each other and you might get a 5-10% bonus in clearances if you have a good ruck. But having NO ruck should leave you very exposed - but we managed that so well.
4. Finding ways to get Worpel and Nash into the game after a quiet first half.
5. GWS completely chocked up the corridor in the first half - we could not go through there at all. I'm not sure what coaching moves were made but all of a sudden we were getting those fast break plays (Impey, CMac, Worpel, Massimo were all good here)

The only thing that really let us down all day was defending the high ball crumb in their forward line. I think GWS took Sicily out of the play and that was a big part of it.

Gee, pages and pages of negativity about commentary and earlier in the thread, AFL conspiracies via umpiring. Doing my head in.
Been waiting since 2018 to have a competitive side. We are on a tear, things are getting real exciting and this is what we spend our celebration thread rabbiting on about.
How about talking about how good things are?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13, 2024 : Hawks slay the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back