Review Round 14, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good

Wilmot - just belongs

Morris - so much poise

Zorko - seriously is his season any worse than kiddy’s last year?

Joe - sticky mits, mostly an accurate foot. Thought he was really desperate in the ruck late too. Seems to go in harder in that role now.

Rayner’s last quarter - seemed to get 3 centre clearances in a row? Or was i going mad?

Berry in the midfield - he is getting better every week. Disposal under pressure seems to be improving with more time in there. Awesome little handball in the last was quite deft. I just don’t think we can reduce his minutes at all atm, he’s crucial

Lessons - at least after all those lapses we won’t be complacent next week

The Bad

Mids over committing - we just kept letting them get out the back. Over confidence?

Mids getting belted early - umps were letting windwhatever get away with a lot, but we didn’t adjust well at all. Spent all week preparing for it apparently. I reckon next time we assume a massive clamp is on neale we start him at half forward for 10 minutes

Backline panicking / being loose - how did they have so much space? Needed to adjust as it wasn’t 5m they were getting, it was 20m

The Ugly

Fits and spurts. All year. So frustrating. What is going on with the group? We lose concentration and confidence within minutes

Umps on dangerous tackles - wow

Channel 7 comms generally - but especially the ‘oh what a technical 50m against windhager’. The bloke jumped in sideways on the mark at least 5m too far. Totally blatant 50m
Technical?? That was the most blatant encroachment I’ve seen

Not too concerned about our method in conceding 16 goals, more about the lackadaisical defensive efforts when required. If you can kick 19 against Ross you must be doing something. More desperation to get the footy back when they get it would be grouse but.

Worried about where Bailey's at, let alone Charlie. Daniher, Berry terrific. Impressed with the composure of the kids when the Saints were really pressing.

Kai is a seriously good player. Has just turned 21

Shows both energy AND composure, runs hard both ways and makes good decisions.

That steadying goal in the last quarter was a thing of beauty

Logan Morris could be anything.

Also makes good decisions and kicks clutch goals. Has just turned 19.

The future is bright.

Bailey, Ah Chee & Cameron grossly out of form.

Need to find a way to get them into the game

McKenna so out of touch, you hope we find a way to keep him out of the game.

I think Answerth should start next week, make Sharp the sub and give McKenna a spell in the VFL

McKenna so out of touch, you hope we find a way to keep him out of the game.

I think Answerth should start next week, make Sharp the sub and give McKenna a spell in the VFL
Answerth’s efforts in the last were horrid imo, debut Brain.

Crazy to think that in an 18 team comp, we play the Saints again in 7 weeks time.

Crazy to think that in an 18 team comp, we play the Saints again in 7 weeks time.

Tough for Answerth playing sub for one quarter

He's the sort of player that can start a bit scratchy but work his way into a game so I really don't think the sub role suits him.

That said, I think your suggestion of playing Brain has merit

I thought his effort was very good. He came on when our structure collapsed and we became a shambles. I wouldn't read anything into his performance other than he cracked in and showed effort.

I have my doubts over whether he is the best type of player for a sub - but its a bit of guesswork really.

I've been looking for an excuse to give Bruce a vote, and while it might have been a stretch I thought his workrate was top shelf.
Needs to be stronger in the contest. Not just this week.....is too easily bumped/out positioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game and thought it was similar to how we played last year. Great to see Joe have a good game and that we can lose the clearances and still score heavily.

I think we only got them by 2 goals last year and they were coming for us in in the last quarter. Obviously we've been really good defensively for the past month or so, hence why our rating as a team is so high. Tonight was a slip up defensively, didn't cost us and gives us something to focus on before we hopefully take down Port.

I've been looking for an excuse to give Bruce a vote, and while it might have been a stretch I thought his workrate was top shelf.
One thing that wad noticeable to me was that Bruce often worked hard to space on the fat side only to be ignored.

On one a occasion we were coming out of deep D50 and he was in acres of space on the wing.

It was an easy out but instead the kicker tried to hit Joe up with a short pass and it ended up in a turnover in a dangerous spot.

Annoying

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Joey, Zorko, Clugga, Rayner and Morris for my 5. Not the prettiest by a long shot. Terrible umpiring, shocking centre bounces ,(did he actually give up at one point?)

Take the points and move on

Didn't he actually call him as taking a mark in the first?

Said it was Ashcroft when it was Fletcher.

I think the score flattered them considerably. We switched off a couple of times which is always a worry for us, but when we pulled our fingers out it wasn’t even a contest. Young guys stood up when it counted which was impressive. Somehow the narrative is that we got a ride with the umps, but that’s not what what I saw… umps single-handedly kept them in the first half. Maybe they were just dreadful all round

One thing that wad noticeable to me was that Bruce often worked hard to space on the fat side only to be ignored.

On one a occasion we were coming out of deep D50 and he was in acres of space on the wing.

It was an easy out but instead the kicker tried to hit Joe up with a short pass and it ended up in a turnover in a dangerous spot.

Annoying

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Didn't notice that one , but we got lazy with our run and kicks , kicking down the line and played the Saints back in the game.
When we were going for shorter quick kicks , wraparounds , we dominated them , no chance to intercept.
It is a problem we most times have done this year.
Leads like Bruce's have been ignored forever in this side, again when we do honour them, keeping quick ball movement we not only keep possession but stretch their defence .
This is exactly why Sharp should be in the team, he is one player that will not stop all game doing exactly this, and more.
I would drop maybe Ah Chee for him?
Or controversially Bailey to play the sub. Lol, never going to happen.

Great to get the win, got way too close considering how far in front we were.
On the real possitive.
Was great to see Rayner have a great game, I just got vibes off him in the warm up he looked on.
Joey , another great game .
Zorko is so good finding a player in space , fantastic vision.
Early game Clugga , Wow Wee.

Pretty hard to stay in form when you play five minutes a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 14, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Back