Review Round 14, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently the knock on him pre draft was lack of athleticism, looks pretty good to me. Also noticed it doesn't look like he gets caught out on defensive transition, ran back hard for a couple of vital intercept marks last night, nice aggression and competitiveness about him as well, high footy IQ.

I don't think we have another Josh Schache bust type on our hands.

To me he doesn’t look any less athletic than Tex Walker last year. Sure Tex was like 34 but he had his best season of his career kicking 70+ goals so it’s not like it’ll prevent Morris from making an impact as we’ve seen.

Disappointing we let the Saints back into the game a couple of times, but interestingly I found it hard to settle on five votes. So I guess you have to consider it a reasonable performance.

First three were easy - Daniher, Zorko and Hugh. After that I thought Dunkley, Berry, Fletcher, Wilmot and Lester could all be considered.

In the end I went for Berry because he limited the impact of their best midfielder with solid defensive football rather than scragging and Lester for keeping his head while all around him were panicking.

Special shout out to Fletcher who few have mentioned but I thought it was his best game of the year and Reville who has great poise for such an inexperienced player and his kicking is a real weapon (shame about the missed goal)

Agree on Fletcher. I'm the sole vote giver for him.

Found a fair bit of the footy and used it we'll. Also laid a few tackles

Tough player, quite skillful. Not a top player, but far from the worst.
Also played for Geelong.
Incredibly skilful but often injured due to an almost kamikaze attack on the ball and other players.His physique couldn't cut it.Geelong?Don't think so.
He debuted in same game as John Blakey who was way more durable.

Sadly you can't screenshot on Kayo (losers) but the 50m penalty is even more obvious on replay. Logan takes the mark level with the centre circle, Windhager moves in to stand in his way and is at least 3-4m over the mark.

As textbook as it gets.
It’s not like Windhager was shuffling backwards to the mark either he just knowingly stands the mark 5 meters ahead of where it should be

Sadly you can't screenshot on Kayo (losers) but the 50m penalty is even more obvious on replay. Logan takes the mark level with the centre circle, Windhager moves in to stand in his way and is at least 3-4m over the mark.

As textbook as it gets.
Found it...

Interesting juxtaposition (also this tackle on Bruce wasn't highlighted by Ch 7 last night). I think we can agree that the umpiring standard was poor (both teams copped poor decisions) in this game including terrible centre square bouncing.

As textbook as it gets.

Yeah I didn’t understand what the issue was. It was an obvious 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment he's giving us the player we thought he could be. An inside mid, big body, gets his own ball and tackles. The Tagging, an added bonus. As part of a core unit with Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage we are much stronger with him playing so well. Add Ashcroft when he returns and there wouldn't be too many better midfields. I'd be really happy with that core for a cpl of years. Rotations from Rayner, Bailey, Fletcher and possibly Reville from the wing. It's a deep midfield onfield. Depth wise Dev next up in the Berry role, the only one we have that can do it. Can cover Dunkley as well.Tunstill as an all purpose mid. Next year Levi Ashcroft in the mix certainly. Marshall, Torrent developing. That's a midfield that can evolve.

I'll gladly take a cpl of years of this output from Berry. 3 or 4 if that's his new contract.

It is where he plays best, he should have always been there and should stay there until he retires. Fagan is finally playing guys in their rightful positions

it would have been nice if neale got some of the protection he got last night in the 2022 prelim where blicavs held him at every stoppage

people have mentioned it but the difference between a good tagger like berry and a mediocre one like windhager is that berry restricts his opponent whilst also doing damage the other way. if he can keep it up hopefully dunkley and clug can keep developing their game and be more able to pick up the slack when neale is getting hard tagged in the future.

That ankle tap by Butler should have got a week imo. I know it's a common thing to do in rugby but rarely if ever is it done when a player is trying to kick. Lester absolutely smashed his kicking leg into his other leg and it's an easy way to break a leg doing that.

It's as bad a sticking a leg out to trip imo.

That ankle tap by Butler should have got a week imo. I know it's a common thing to do in rugby but rarely if ever is it done when a player is trying to kick. Lester absolutely smashed his kicking leg into his other leg and it's an easy way to break a leg doing that.

It's as bad a sticking a leg out to trip imo.
Agreed - it looked incredibly dangerous and Lester was fortunate not to have done serious damage.

Agreed - it looked incredibly dangerous and Lester was fortunate not to have done serious damage.
What it should have got without a shadow of a doubt is 50. Lester pointed ump said no, not a single commentator mentioned well deliberate trip is 50. Such group think in there and the average iq has dropped considerably in recent years. Kayo calling their own games will be a bit of an improvement (albeit some shockers in there too).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 14, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Back