Toast Round 14 = North Melbourne 118-119 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Loser mentality
They should just be thankful they played so well, have lots of young talent in their side & their future looks brighter than it did a few weeks ago.

We needed the points more than they did. It's just a wasted 4 points when you're sitting at the bottom of the ladder.

They should just be thankful they played so well, have lots of young talent in their side & their future looks brighter than it did a few weeks ago.

We needed the points more than they did. It's just a wasted 4 points when you're sitting at the bottom of the ladder.
Massive win today mate.

Last game we played against WCE I posted about the Marvel security being a joke and the Police were no better.

Disappointed for your experience but not surprised.
Happy to validate you. No sarcasm. But, why boot a family out for the sake of a few Karens? I won't discuss the ethnicity of the security guards, because it might suggest a stereotype 🙄
I have a son that is three as well. One of the most common things to hear in our house is "I love footy". He loves going to the local footy as much as the AFL. If your daughter loves footy, take her down to the local ground. Amazing for young kids!
LOL, mate, she goes on and on about how she "loves cricket", and every sport on telly is cricket. However, my daughter is of an age where sometimes blue is confused with yellow, though, I think she might be getting a little lazy 🤣
Oh gosh you read the north forum and they are crying out they were robbed, hey North fans if you're reading this just know it isn't the umpires fault you choked a 54 point lead against a side with 7 best 18 players out, a good half of footy means absolutely nothing I'd you can't finish the job. You weren't robbed by the umpires, you just simply were not good enough!
This is my brother. He admitted they don't have the cattle to finish a game, but, he bitched about them losing the free kick count 26-12, and then being dogged a 50 at the end. What about the bald maggot the other week against the Dockers, giving the Dockers momentum? It's just footy, we've moved on, north won't for a while, probably.

The free kick count just suggests bad disicipline from a young side. Maybe 30 points is doable in this day and age comeback wise, but 9 goals, in any competition? Doesn't happen often.

I think they shut up shop at half time, and expected to win by inertia. That's why we are third, and they are DEAD last. Yes, North lurkers and mods, that's YOU. Enjoy sub mediocrity, because not even the gold coast or Tasmania wanted you. We do though, because you are gettable EVERY week, until you change your attitude.

Ok so I actually kind of dislocated my boyfriend's right index finger from giving him a slightly too enthusiastic high five after the siren. And I might have been a bit drunk. And unco. And you know relieved and shit. But yeah.

I like to think that in some cosmic way that took one injury away from the team, so really this is good and I am in no way to be blamed for the pain suffering and stupid looking splint.

I am so, so ****ed. I am going to be doing all the housework for the next ten years.

Still. Worth it.

Oh gosh you read the north forum and they are crying out they were robbed, hey North fans if you're reading this just know it isn't the umpires fault you choked a 54 point lead against a side with 7 best 18 players out, a good half of footy means absolutely nothing I'd you can't finish the job. You weren't robbed by the umpires, you just simply were not good enough!
No idea why they are crying? If they won, they would be in danger of losing last position and missing out on the number one draft choice like they did last year which cost them Harley Reid (I have North mates who are still angry with their win in the last round).

They should be wrapped they took it up to us but gratefully take the loss.

Last edited:
Why did Clarko sub out Phillips? Wasn't he doing a good job on Nick?

I'm not complaining..just curious. I'd be just as filthy about that as a North supporter as any of the umpiring decisions they're banging on about.. oh & Fisher's miss, which they are also conveniently forgetting.

Why did Clarko sub out Phillips? Wasn't he doing a good job on Nick?

I'm not complaining..just curious. I'd be just as filthy about that as a North supporter as any of the umpiring decisions they're banging on about.. oh & Fisher's miss, which they are also conveniently forgetting.
Possibly didn't have the tank to go with Nick for 4 quarters.

We won. But let’s be honest it should never have been like this. North deserve massive credit for today. Tbh the pies need a lot of soul searching after today and not just focusing on the gutsy comeback.
Rather focus on why they were in that position to begin with.

We won. But let’s be honest it should never have been like this. North deserve massive credit for today. Tbh the pies need a lot of soul searching after today and not just focusing on the gutsy comeback.
I think they know why. They just didn't bring the pressure in the first half.

37 goals in a footy match is pretty entertaining, regardless of ladder position. I didn't think we would kick 18 with our makeshift forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are currently sitting third, lost 1 game since the saints loss, despite having an actual injury crisis.

There’s no soul searching needed. We’ve weathered a huge storm and made it to a much needed break, with troops to return slowly

We are currently sitting third, lost 1 game since the saints loss, despite having an actual injury crisis.

There’s no soul searching needed. We’ve weathered a huge storm and made it to a much needed break, with troops to return slowly
Agree. The injuries have meant the responsibility has fallen on too few. This has a physical effect. You could see we tired against Freo and the Dogs, not running out the last Q. In those we lost players during the game, making it more difficult. Then we had a better performances against Dees after a 10 day break.

Today we started sluggish. That's poor but understandable given the issues. Being able to recover from that and still win is the real story. Doubt anything needs to be said to the players about what was different from half 1 to half 2, it would be obvious.

Ok so I actually kind of dislocated my boyfriend's right index finger from giving him a slightly too enthusiastic high five after the siren. And I might have been a bit drunk. And unco. And you know relieved and shit. But yeah.

I like to think that in some cosmic way that took one injury away from the team, so really this is good and I am in no way to be blamed for the pain suffering and stupid looking splint.

I am so, so ****ed. I am going to be doing all the housework for the next ten years.

Still. Worth it.
You were sorely missed. Thanks for coming back. You are a very, VERY, bad Horse 😝

No idea why they are crying? If they won, they would be in danger of losing last position and missing out on the number one draft choice like they did last year which cost them Harley Reid (I have North mates who are still angry with their win in the last round).

They should be wrapped they took it up to us but gratefully take the loss.

They’re not getting the number 1 pick this year, they’re too good for that.

Happy Lewis Hamilton GIF by First We Feast

They’re not getting the number 1 pick this year, they’re too good for that.
I think they will go back to shit again next week. They pulled this performance out of the bag.

Look at their remaining games. Winnable ones are against Richmond and West Coast in the last few rounds.

By the time it gets to them, they will know where they stand and will play those accordingly to finish last. They aren’t making that same mistake like last year again.

Fly's presser

That was one of the biggest comebacks in VFL/AFL history. What are your emotions after that?
"That was a struggle. It really was a struggle. There's so many layers to it. North Melbourne's incredible want and desire and youthful enthusiasm. I think they kicked 14 goals, 2 [behinds] from set shots and 18 goals, 4 [behinds] and two of those rushed. They played right at a level of a team that's not down the bottom. That's reality, so you argue at different points of view but their midfield was exceptional, their work rate, their energy. I've always had huge respect for Clarko, everyone knows that but there's a lot of excitement I'm sure for North out of today. They've set a standard for themselves".
In the second half, it looked like you threw the magnets around with Reef McInnes being substituted on and Jeremy Howe and Nick Daicos being shifted up forward. Did that give you the mix up you needed to get the game back on your terms?
"We had to try something because their mids were dominant. Their pressure was really strong. We were scoring okay going inside 50 but we weren't getting it there enough. We had to try some things. We've got some flexibility in our team. Billy Frampton goes back, Howie goes forward. We just thought we'd have some experience forward and then Nick [Daicos] was getting tagged heavily and we thought we just put him forward and get him to do a couple of things. Chip away, chip away. We're still a long way down at 3QT. For everything we were doing to get the scoreboard a little bit more in our ledger, they [North Melbourne] were scoring when they went inside 50 so it was a struggle".
Were you surprised Will Phillips was subbed out considering the strong tagging job he was doing on Nick Daicos?
"I'm not sure what their thinking was, so I won't go into things I don't know".
Can you take us inside half time. What was discussed in the rooms and how did you turn it around?
"There were pretty simple messages. They had had 60 uncontested marks and they were kicking the ball through us really easily so we had to improve that. We showed some footage around that. There was some stark vision that I showed around our pressure and players in the screen that really weren't involved in it. They were there, well, their jumpers were, but their intent wasn't there. That's not a level that we expect or want. We were no chance to have any chance in this game unless we got that part of our game right. In ball movement opportunities, we showed some footage of ways that we could attack them that we weren't missed opportunities, so it was around defence and pressure and the way we can move the ball".
You said you were 'chipping away', Clarko described it as "Russian roulette" footy when you're trying to win?
"You have to take more risk, that's reality. When the scoreboard is against you, you got to take more risk so that provides opportunity to turn the ball over. We do have method in that though, I don't think we just go and make it up. We've practiced this over and over again. We've been in positions regularly, probably more than most that we've got a good method for that. The players can go into that mode of transport, but again it's not without risk".
How proud are you of Nick Daicos to fight through the tag and be a significant player in your win?
"He's a marvel, isn't he? He was sick yesterday. He was a chance not to play. When you come into training and Nick has gone home sick, you [think] 'Oh God'. You know the old like-for-like magnet, we don't have one of those. I didn't sleep that well and didn't really want to check the phone this morning to see if he was going to be OK and getting tagged well. They've been doing some good jobs on him in the last couple of weeks but he just finds a way to get into game. It's through work rate. You watch his work rate contest to contest and I'm really proud of him".
How close was Nick Daicos from not playing? You made the decision to hold back Ed Allan from playing VFL.
"I don't know, I didn't check my phone. I just wasn't interested. We had to have a conversation with Ed [Allan] yesterday when we left 'to be ready mate, we're not sure what's going to happen'".
How important is that game for Lachie Schultz?
"He's been getting toward this. His last month playing a bit of a slightly different role, a bit more of a key forward for us. His marking presence has been on display this week and last week. Doing a lot of off the ball stuff that most don't see, but we acknowledge and rewarded. He got rewarded on the scoreboard today, he kicked 4 [goals]. He's growing in confidence week by week and we really love and value what he does for us".
Who's taken the better mark this year? Jamie Elliott or Bobby Hill?
"That was a good one wasn't it? Bobby [Hill] is one of those players in our team that been doing so many things for others and then working and working and then funnily enough his GPS in last quarters is the best of anyone in our team and we acknowledged that yesterday. He's setting up others for goals and goal assists and every now and again he's sort of sitting there [thinking] 'I wouldn't mind a little lick of the ice cream here and there', but he just keeps doing the stuff the team needs and today he kicked 5 [goals] and 3 in the last quarter. When the game is there to be won, he just turned it on for us. He's another one we love and appreciate".
You will be in the top 4 for the first time this season despite a slow start to the season and coming back from 54 points down today to win this match. What does this overall package do for the belief of the team heading into the second half of the season defending the Premiership?
"We get back to work when we get back to work. We have the bye now, so we reset. I mentioned to the boys this is not a full stop, it's a comma. We need to take a breath. The ladder position will be what it will be. But we've had a really tough stretch here. The last five or six games, we are fighting hard and you guys know the magnets don't look the same. We're throwing guys around, there is young guys playing roles that we've had 300 game experience in and a makeshift forward line for most of the last six to eight weeks and we've only lost one game in that period, which ideally stands us in good stead. Today was a lot of good and then a lot of work to be done too. All it does is gets us to now"
Who do you expect to get back?
"I think there's quite a few at the gates ready to jump out of the blocks post-bye. I don't know exactly all of them, but I think Mihocek probably would have played today. I think Jordy [De Goey] has really taken huge steps forward so I think he'll be a big chance to play. Pendles I'm not sure. Maybe or maybe not. Checkers, I said that didn't I?".
On Monday, you alluded to Brayden Maynard experiencing some personal challenges. He spoke about it on the TV broadcast. Can you give us your insight on how challenging it has been for him to play in the last two weeks?
"Oh did he? Respectfully you can see why I didn't say anything because it's not my place to speak about other than make you aware that this young lad is dealing with a bit. We wanted to honour Bruzzy today. It was his 200th game, but Bruzzy is more than that. He's a spiritual leader for us. He cares for others more than anyone in our environment and so today was an opportunity to care for him and appreciate him. At 3QT, I was pretty pointed. I thought the only one honouring Bruzzy was him and I pointed to the other 21 or 22 [players] 'come on, pull your finger out we owe this guy so much, he does so much for us'. It was nice to carry him off with a smile in his face because he deserves it".
You mentioned the guys coming back and you've only lost 1 game in this period. What does it do for the confidence of the guys after this good run you've had with these experienced guys close to returning?
"It builds belief. It does. It shows that Kreugs can play a role for us. Others have gotten more experience. There's a lot of belief in the group, absolutely. Our best is really hard to play against, but there's no guarantees in anything. Better magnets if you want to call it that doesn't guarantee anything. We still got to go and get the job done. We've proven in the last period that we haven't needed Pendles and Jordy to a certain degree. The others have been able to do a great job for us so we value contribution that our group looks like it has more depth, but it will still be challenged for the rest of the year".
What did you make of Tew Jiath?
"Showed some signs. I think this is what I was thinking, we'd see little moments for the young lad. He looks like an AFL player. Got huge AFL traits. He'll be better for the experience. I think he's going to be a really nice player for us and wasn't sure how much of the traits we'd see today because he's right at the start of his journey. It's a good day and proud day for his family and I'm sure there's many more games to come".
Will Oleg Markov be available post-bye?
"You'd think so, yeah. He jarred his back like I said during the week so he'd be another one to add to the list [to return]. I think there's a couple of more, but I can't think of them at the minute".
You've exposed a lot of youth in the last 6-8 weeks, but Harry DeMattia hasn't featured yet. Is he close?
"He's warming, he is. He had a bit of time off with that finger and missed a lot of footy so he's been playing on the wing for us and his best game was last week versus Casey [Demons]. He's warming towards opportunities and whether they come, time will tell".

They now have the opportunity to split the pies vote by putting 2 Collingwood players up. Much like when Howe was robbed with Grundy splitting the vote.
I’d actually think it’d be hilarious for us to all vote (I think it’s still a public vote) for Sidey for Mark of the Year.

How funny for everyone would that be? And the boys could give Sidey some stick for it too 😜

Or, the captain of the club puts in a hard shift and keeps one of the oppositions only chances of being in the game quiet.

Disgrace that Moore still gets beaten this badly.

Really need to put Billy back just to cover for Moore. As others have said, he’s been out of form all season. Perplexing.
I remember a similar sentiment about our previous premiership captain. We just need to play them to their strengths.

The main reason people think Frampton looks better is he lacks mobility and we keep it more simple for him. This weakness though is part of our reluctance to play him as a first choice defender, his team defence is not great.

Larkey's goals dried up once we became more competitive up the field.
I don’t disagree but I still think that works in our favour. Our team defence looks better when we have one bloke to anchor down their best key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 14 = North Melbourne 118-119 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back