Preview Round 14 - Port v GWS GIANTS @ Sydney Showground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow we still don't have a preview thread for this game so here it is.

But I don't really care enough about it to post anything of substance so here's a recap of last time we played at this ground way back in 2013.

We won by 75 points.

It was Ken Hinkley's 10th game as coach (next weekend will be his 261st).

Some of the stat lines are wild.

Cam O'Shea reminded us all of Cam O'Shea with 30 disposals and 2 goals en route to 3 Brownlow votes.

Boak had 29 and kicked 3(!). Monfries 30 and 3 goals. Wingard 31 and 1 goal. 5 minute fireman 34 and 1 goal.

Butchachaaa a hero as always with a couple of snags.

But I don't really care enough about it to post anything of substance so here's a recap of last time we played at this ground way back in 2013.

We won by 75 points.

Cam O'Shea reminded us all of Cam O'Shea with 30 disposals and 2 goals en route to 3 Brownlow votes.

Boak had 29 and kicked 3(!). Monfries 30 and 3 goals. Wingard 31 and 1 goal. 5 minute fireman 34 and 1 goal.

Geez those stats and players feel like it was a lifetime ago ☹️

Assuming Rozee and Rioli are fit, they come in for Dixon and Evans.

I don't think they're ready to play Lord yet, so Marshall, Georgie and Finlayson to play as the 3 mobile talls, Finlayson to do the ruck chop out.

Would love to see Tommy A get a run but can only see it happening if Rioli isn't fit. Forget the pipe dreams of McEntee or DBJ being left out of the forward line. McEntee gets a chance to redeem his last effort on Whitfield. Good luck.

Get ready for another Hinkleydance, this is the sort of game where they save his bacon again.

Dance Dancing GIF by NBA

Giants have only played 3 games at "home" so far this year for two easy wins and a last start loss against the dogs. I feel they've hit a mid-season speed bump, so are definitely beatable.

Whether we win or not depends on whether we turn up. All of the recent media would suggest that this is perhaps doubtful and that 8-4 is perfectly adequate to give Mr 261 another unwarranted extension.

Results so far during bye week have gone out way, and we all know what that means.

Expect the Green and Greene show to run amok, untagged and unhindered.

Assuming Rozee and Rioli are fit, they come in for Dixon and Evans.

I don't think they're ready to play Lord yet, so Marshall, Georgie and Finlayson to play as the 3 mobile talls, Finlayson to do the ruck chop out.

Would love to see Tommy A get a run but can only see it happening if Rioli isn't fit. Forget the pipe dreams of McEntee or DBJ being left out of the forward line. McEntee gets a chance to redeem his last effort on Whitfield. Good luck.

Get ready for another Hinkleydance, this is the sort of game where they save his bacon again.

Dance Dancing GIF by NBA
That guy in the suit at least pulls some ladies.

Shows how much we care.

We may well win, but up there it will be tough. They play a lot better at home.

Ultimately I'm still too broken from our last choke against Carlton to muster any interest in even watching this. Might let the wife organise a mother in law visit at the same time. Even that'd probably be more enjoyable than watching our crap.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game is actually in my neighbourhood, but struggling with the motivation.

1600 start, will be lucky to be home by 2100 and then an early start the next day.

I suppose it is a free ticket.

This game is actually in my neighbourhood, but struggling with the motivation.

1600 start, will be lucky to be home by 2100 and then an early start the next day.

I suppose it is a free ticket.

Im going!! 50 minute travel for me by car and train :huh: hate Sydney commutes...

Coincidentally, we also won by 75 points.

Here’s a recap of the last time we played GWS in a minor round game

We won by 75 points.

It was Ken Hinkley’s 244th game as coach.

Changes from that game will be, at least

Sam Hayes with more possessions than hit outs (13-12)
Jed McEntee with double digit possessions and a goal.

JHF 27 possessions, 3 goals en route to 3 Brownlow votes.
Butters, Rozee and Wines with 90 possies and 2 goals cumulative.

Bergman 3 goals, Rioli 3, Marshall 3.

Geez those stats and players feel like it was a lifetime ago ☹️

Sadly, this game also feels like it was a lifetime ago.

It’ll be an interesting game , tricky one I’d suggest .
If Soldo holds his own in the ruck it’ll help .
I get the feeling Rioli will miss again , you don’t want to rush a calf .
Our mid/small defenders need to keep their head over the ball , I’d give BZT a run in the 2’s and bring in Williams for one more shot before his papers are marked .

Burton Ratogalea Jones
Williams Allir Farrell
Boak Rozee Burgoyne
Bergman Marshall Drew
Anastasopolous Georgiades Byrne Jones
Soldo Horne Francis Butters

Wines McEntee Mead Finlayson

Sub Dixon

That being said I would like to drop Jones , Burton and McEntee but the replacements with Sinn , SPP and Rioli out aren’t there

It’ll be an interesting game , tricky one I’d suggest .
If Soldo holds his own in the ruck it’ll help .
I get the feeling Rioli will miss again , you don’t want to rush a calf .
Our mid/small defenders need to keep their head over the ball , I’d give BZT a run in the 2’s and bring in Williams for one more shot before his papers are marked .

Burton Ratogalea Jones
Williams Allir Farrell
Boak Rozee Burgoyne
Bergman Marshall Drew
Anastasopolous Georgiades Byrne Jones
Soldo Horne Francis Butters

Wines McEntee Mead Finlayson

Sub Dixon

That being said I would like to drop Jones , Burton and McEntee but the replacements with Sinn , SPP and Rioli out aren’t there
Say that forward lineup 3 times quickly!
I'd swap Bergman and Burton's positions, frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back