Review Round 15, 2024 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting to look at expected score

It indicates a closer game in general play. They also got a shot at goal from 60% of their inside 50 entries. This is concerningly high. Our 49% is still okay, slightly above average. But that 60% I think would be causing Fages a bit of worry, in terms of how that might look against a team with a better midfield performance against us.

It does also indicate that we dominated in territory and most of their opportunities came from scoring from their back half. I don’t think it’s a non issue, since we have been one of the worst teams in the past couple weeks there. However, when we dominated contested possession, clearances, and inside fifties, it means that their inside fifty entries come in transition with a decently open forward line.

It’s definitely the place to work on. The Saints game showed how quickly it can all get out of hand. Against a team like Collingwood who thrive on back half scoring off turnovers it could spell easy defeat.

There’s two main things that could solve it. Either our players inside fifty need to work harder to get back in transition, or we need to pull out a winger to provide another man and leave them with one or two men up inside fifty.

There could be more but I’m not that smart when it comes to tactics.

It's interesting to look at expected score

It indicates a closer game in general play. They also got a shot at goal from 60% of their inside 50 entries. This is concerningly high. Our 49% is still okay, slightly above average. But that 60% I think would be causing Fages a bit of worry, in terms of how that might look against a team with a better midfield performance against us.

I only use AFLxScore when we lose to justify the loss

It does also indicate that we dominated in territory and most of their opportunities came from scoring from their back half. I don’t think it’s a non issue, since we have been one of the worst teams in the past couple weeks there. However, when we dominated contested possession, clearances, and inside fifties, it means that their inside fifty entries come in transition with a decently open forward line.

It’s definitely the place to work on. The Saints game showed how quickly it can all get out of hand. Against a team like Collingwood who thrive on back half scoring off turnovers it could spell easy defeat.

There’s two main things that could solve it. Either our players inside fifty need to work harder to get back in transition, or we need to pull out a winger to provide another man and leave them with one or two men up inside fifty.

There could be more but I’m not that smart when it comes to tactics.
Great, balanced comment. Makes a lot of sense. Will be interesting to see if/how we're able to address this.

Fages made some disturbing comments in his presser about Harris being the son he wants. Hugh, Bez, Cam and Charlie are going to be crushed by this betrayal.
1 minute and 43 seconds of pure love
You guys don't get it, this is the carrot.

One day, they too will get this outpouring of public love on their milestone game. Now they will work for it

great tactical coaching by Fages. Not just on the field, but in front of the mics too.

Last edited:
I reckon brain out, Bruce sub. Even though I think Bruce deserves his place

I’d say Fletcher will get as much wing time as possible on one wing with Ashcroft, Bailey, and McCluggage testing out the other to see what’s best. Ah Chee will do some usual small rotations there as well. My only concern is Bailey and defensive work rate if he spends more time there. Lohmann is also a Smokey option.

Don’t need Berry there anymore. It felt like Dunkley spent some more time forward this week as well which was alright.

The commentators mentioned it several times, and it was further highlighted by the stark contrast in Ports attempts, but our handballing was sublime

We did it defensively, and to more exciting effect we did it with some really good attacking intent. Quite a few times we got ourselves out of the pressure and opened them up for an easy kick.

So many did well, but just to mention Lester who in the first few minutes got beaten maybe twice quite easily, but really tightened on his man and did well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am thrilled for the much-maligned Eric Hipwood.

Managed 10+ marks 3 times last year. Most years he does it once or twice, if that.

Last 3 weeks: 13, 11, 10

… goes nicely with the 13.5 he’s kicked in that time. 🔥🔥🔥

Great, balanced comment. Makes a lot of sense. Will be interesting to see if/how we're able to address this.

Also interesting that we were terrible at our own conversion inside fifty to start the year. Had the best inside fifty differential and was converting sub 40% into scores.

Whatever adjustment we have made (or could just be ins and outs) has made our conversion a lot more acceptable but left us more vulnerable if the other team wins one or two consecutive contests when the ball exits our fifty.

We are winning games now compared to losing them before, so we are getting somewhere with our adjustments at least. I respect Hoyne but it’s obvious that our form is much better regardless of a key performance statistic dropping. It’ll be interesting to see how much we sacrifice in terms of offence to help the defence.

Thought we would win, but not that convincingly. Need to back it up next week... convincingly.

Priorities

1. Win convincingly

2 Win satisfactorily

3. Win ugly

4. Win any old way at all

5.Lose

Outcomes 1-4 are acceptable to me.

And as Brother Maynard said in the classic "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" scene:-

5 is right out !!!!

Nice to see us looking up for Bruce on the wing and kicking to him. Must be a game plan thing, he's strong and can't be moved that easily - seems to either mark or competes to even the contest.
I think he can be stronger over the ball. Often out manoeuvred from my viewing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 15, 2024 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Back