Round 15 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good crop in general this year. Most years they are starting to scratch around for noms about now but there are at least four others who have been important parts of their side and are in line for a legit Nom by the end of the year. Ainsworth, Witherden, fiorini, Curnow, Darcy all would be nominated by now in any other year.

That Darcy reminds me of Mumford when he was a massive fat campaigner teenager at Geelong. If he puts the yards in he will be awesome.

+ Berry. The quality in the 2016 draft runs deep

The public should be made to vote. Much better judges of performance and impact. AFL should focus on getting the umpiring right.

Dead set one of the worst ideas I've ever heard

Witherden, C Curnow, Ainsworth, daylight, Hardwick. Curnow has put a pretty impressive 5-6 weeks together. Stiff. But well done to Hardwick and Hawthorn, looks a good prospect.
I forgot Witherden and Fiorini.

So I'd probably have Hardwick as 6th best performed this week. Ainsworth, Curnow, Darcy, Witherden and Fiorini were all better. I get that they gave it to him based on consistency, but it would have been more understandable last week when there weren't many standouts.

I'd consider Hardwick more deserving than McCluggage. He's at least been very good for the last month even if there were a few better this week. I'm sure Ainsworth, Fiorini, Curnow, Darcy, Witherden, etc. will get noms eventually.

I forgot Witherden and Fiorini.

So I'd probably have Hardwick as 6th best performed this week. Ainsworth, Curnow, Darcy, Witherden and Fiorini were all better. I get that they gave it to him based on consistency, but it would have been more understandable last week when there weren't many standouts.

The winners pretty much always come from the first half dozen or so weeks?

Im sure there is a list of 3 or 4 players who will get nominated from now on based on having really good seasons, rather than stand out games - and none are at all likely to win.

Everyone seems to just look at possesions and supercoach scores , elliot and betts to a goal a piece id say thats more imoressive then getting 26 possies playing loose through the middle

Blake Hardwick. Elite disposal efficiency, counts for more than just possessions down back. He looks like a 100+ gamer on ball, so composed, rarely makes an error. Seems the judges actually voted with their brains rather than ruining off the stat sheet.

Hawthorn's returns on recent Rising Stars have been a little underwhelming.

2017 Blake Hardwick, Ryan Burton
2016 James Sicily
2015 Billy Hartung
2013 Brad Hill, Jed Anderson
2011 Luke Breust, Shane Savage
2010 Ben Stratton
2009 Garry Moss
2008 Jarryd Morton

2016 James Sicily
2015 Billy Hartung
2010 Ben Stratton
2009 Garry Moss
2008 Jarryd Morton
Winning 4 premierships will do that to you. Such is life I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2016 James Sicily
2015 Billy Hartung
2010 Ben Stratton
2009 Garry Moss
2008 Jarryd Morton
In an 18 team competition, I'd have said that was about average really. 22/18 = 1.22 rising star nominations per year per club. So above average since the new franchise clubs arrived.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nothing against young Hardwick, keeping Betts and Elliott quiet is worthy of praise and recognition.

Should the award hand out nominations for consistency or should it purely be based on which young player had the best game in the given round is the question worth asking.

On that I'd say Fiorini shouldn't be nominated next week if he's not the best performed player eligible.

Did Hardwick have the best game this weekend? I didn't see much of that game so cannot comment but I did think Witherden and Ainsworth were very good.

I can see them changing the format next year. More and more kids are playing in their first years and doing really well.

Nothing against young Hardwick, keeping Betts and Elliott quiet is worthy of praise and recognition.

Should the award hand out nominations for consistency or should it purely be based on which young player had the best game in the given round is the question worth asking.

On that I'd say Fiorini shouldn't be nominated next week if he's not the best performed player eligible.

Did Hardwick have the best game this weekend? I didn't see much of that game so cannot comment but I did think Witherden and Ainsworth were very good.
For reference, Hardwick was the only player eligible to be nominated who received coaches votes this week.
So at least one of Bucks or Clarko thought he was in the best 5 on he ground.

You think a small lockdown defender gets cheap kicks in the backhalf? and that why he got a nom?

He got a nom because he barely loses a 1 on 1 contest, his disposal is elite and his decision making is superb for a kid of his age.

Hawk supporters lost their proverbial shit when a forward pocket was named this year in the backhalf and he's made every single one of us eat humble pie.

Eating humble pie with a grin, mate.

For reference, Hardwick was the only player eligible to be nominated who received coaches votes this week.
So at least one of Bucks or Clarko thought he was in the best 5 on he ground.
He didnt get any coaches votes

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 15 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back