Review Round 16, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher (sub)

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [38] Bruce Reville

• [41] Darragh Joyce

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is with Gawn and Pickett when they play against us?
Pickett just has evasiveness speed agility he has to be the best in the competition
He is so good at getting around tight traffic for a shot and like last night when he’s kicking snap kicks around his body from the 50 you’re pretty much can’t stop him.
It’s more about before he gets the footy.
Gawn is an interesting one
So elite when he gets a clear tap .
As I mentioned before our Oscar sometimes at centre bounces has more focus on the opposing ruck than the ball. Kind of let’s them get first touch then negates them.
Then it’s kind of like a switch goes on and Oscar focuses on the ball,gets aggressive ,gets position that’s when Gawn has a battle.
I think Oscar just takes a little bit to get that aggression out.
I like watching Oscar and when he goes the ball it’s usually good for us.
As I said more so at centre bounces
Oscar definitely one of my favourite players.

Name them.
Harry Arnold, for one. Hell, bring back Connor Ballenden and Sam Skinner who are both in the top three for contested marks in the SANFL. I don't have the time and effort to go through every AFL club's list to analyse their backup players. But if Joyce is the best out there, then the game is truly in dire straits as it has a serious lack of talent.

Answerth's ability to turn a contest into a scrap with these small forwards is missing. That defensive aspect is also missing at the other end of the ground with Linc out, not to mention his accuracy on goal would have come in handy last night.

Good luck to fitting everyone in though, if fit.

McKenna was just as bad. Commentators called it, saying he was directly responsible for back to back Melbourne goals in the second because of loose checking and not defending his man. He could also be the worst tackler in our team. He was terrible in ground contests.
Agree. He’s had a good run at trying to turn his form around in the 1’s, but his lack of fitness is telling.

Time to bring Brain in who seems to be developing more and more with exposure to higher standards of footy (Academy, to reserves, to seniors).

Harry Arnold, for one. Hell, bring back Connor Ballenden and Sam Skinner who are both in the top three for contested marks in the SANFL. I don't have the time and effort to go through every AFL club's list to analyse their backup players. But if Joyce is the best out there, then the game is truly in dire straits as it has a serious lack of talent.

Don't agree. Joyce was OK when he played at the start of last season, all things considered.

Joyce is what he is - the ~40th player on the list. He wasn't alone in not handling the higher pressure game. I think he'd be similar to Answerth/Sharp - a few more games, and he'd acclimatise to the speed and look a whole lot better.

It's all academic with Payne (hopefully) coming back in, and yes, Joyce wasn't great at times, but there needs to be some context to where we're at (including injuries, ZZ not ready, etc).

I'd keep Payne away for next week and the Optus trip to make sure his foot is right. Rest for 3 weeks or play in 2s and come back in against Swans at Gabba so Joyce gets a 3 game block to get familiar with the pace of the game in 1s.

If we're finals worthy, then having a fit Payne is more important than testing his foot out on the hard surface of Optus. So if Payne's not playing Optus then we shouldn't be picking him next week as well, so there is some continuity at least for Joyce.

It's not going to help either player if we did Payne (Adelaide) / Joyce (Optus - West Coast) / Payne (Swans).

Last edited:
Thought dunkley, zorko, Cameron and Lester all played very good games.

Being at the ground the thing that stuck out the most was how lazy bayley fritsch is. Spent more energy trying to draw a staging free on Andrews than he did anything else all game.

On SM-A536E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Brain should be given a go over McKenna.
I wouldn't be against that, Brain is a very good kick and has great aggression, IMO if given a run as a small defender could have a similar impact to the likes of Lohmann and Reville this season.

I don't think it will happen though, the coaches will stick with McKenna and hope he comes good before finals, Conor at his best is a serious weapon.

Maybe Brain should be given a go over McKenna.
Worth a try. Injuries forced Fagan’s hand this season and it meant that he was compelled to play players like Morris and Reville to cover for Gardiner and McKenna. It would be great to see Fagan actually be more proactive with a player like McKenna who’s one trick is rebound running out of defence. As far as actual defending goes, he’s not much chop at the moment.

Don't agree. Joyce was OK when he played at the start of last season, all things considered.

Joyce is what he is - the ~40th player on the list. He wasn't alone in not handling the higher pressure game. I think he'd be similar to Answerth/Sharp - a few more games, and he'd acclimatise to the speed and look a whole lot better.

It's all academic with Payne (hopefully) coming back in, and yes, Joyce wasn't great at times, but there needs to be some context to where we're at (including injuries, ZZ not ready, etc).

We are on Big Footy and we have a diverse demographic posting, including posters whose first instinctive reaction is to be negative and sink the boots in. As luthor put it the Whipping Boy Syndrome comes out in them.

Under the circumstance Joyce did well and there were others who performed far worse. Including some established and entrenched players.

As you say it's all academic, Payne will be back next week.

I wouldn't be against that, Brain is a very good kick and has great aggression, IMO if given a run as a small defender could have a similar impact to the likes of Lohmann and Reville this season.

I don't think it will happen though, the coaches will stick with McKenna and hope he comes good before finals, Conor at his best is a serious weapon.
McKenna is all sword and no shield. We need defenders who can be both. His complete lack of physical pressure on opponents was terrible last night.

Pickett just has evasiveness speed agility he has to be the best in the competition

If he had his way every week he'd be there abouts.

Lately we've been unable to handle guys like Pickett, Hill, Stengle, and even allowed rookie sml fwd's like Darcy Jones & Harvey Thomas to look like stars. There's significant issues down back that need to be solved.

McKenna is all sword and no shield. We need defenders who can be both. His complete lack of physical pressure on opponents was terrible last night.
He is down on form I agree but I didn't think he was terrible, the lack of up the ground pressure in the 1st half is hard for anyone to defend.

If he had his way every week he'd be there abouts.
'
Lately we've been unable to handle guys like Pickett, Hill, Stengle, and even allowed rookie sml fwd's like Darcy Jones & Harvey Thomas to look like stars. There's significant issues down back that need to be solved.

*midfield

Look at all their goals and 90% would be from turnovers or them winning clearances unpressured

Melbourne's mids and half forwards gambled extremely hard forward, Pickett was probably the biggest example of that. He was streaming towards goal at every contest and finding acres of space because Melbourne mids were so dominant. As soon as that tap got turned off he looked less dangerous, but he is a really good player. Tbh we should ask him if he wants to move to Brisbane permanently he clearly loves playing up here!

Melbourne’s forward line issues would probably be resolved pretty quickly if their fleet of small forwards didn’t put the blinkers on every time they get within 60m of goal. Pickett played very well, but between him and Fritsch you wouldn’t even both leading as a forward if the ball was in their hands.

We won - we got lucky and we also could have won by more !! Sums up that crazy game.

Credit to Melbourne who I thought played really well and had a real crack. They worked a lot harder than we did in first half. Also think they went so hard in first half they were tanked by last qtr. If Hippy hits that handball properly and Charlie doesn't drop a sitter 10metres out, we probably win by couple goals.

Dunkley only mid who was decent in first half. Thankfully Lachie and Hugh came to the party in second half. Dunkley was our best for the night - the smothers / tackles and other 1% stuff he does is so good.

Starcevich was so good in first qtr but then really struggled. Lester so reliable, so good for us down back - AGAIN.

Zork's been excellent off half back. Reville had a good game and looks like he can play the full match now without looking gassed. Charlie and Rayner kicked 4 goals between them but were meh.

I wish Daniher would at least compete in the ruck contests - some of it is embarrassing.

Let's hope jack Payne is only out for 1 match - Joyce oh boy- so poor last night.

Back