Autopsy Round 16, 2024: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Ross listens to Leigh Matthews advice and trials Max in the ruck.

Trading him is crazy talk, we should steal his pet dog and hold it hostage first to see if that motivates him.
Hasn’t he already done that? In the last quarter?
Max looked better for a few minutes then, albeit did that stupid late hit.

Max has no full forward craft. Higgins is twice the full forward he is, twice the smarts. I want King to succeed as well, but his work rate is so average. Move and create space, don’t point over your head 50m from the ball.

How disappointing has Dow been, I mean I never thought he'd be anything other than a depth player but he's been very average.
Limited pre-season and dealing with an ankle injury. Can't judge him on this year's performances, clearly still not match fit and needs a conditioning block but our mids are so bad we can't afford that. Judge him off a full pre-season next year

Limited pre-season and dealing with an ankle injury. Can't judge him on this year's performances, clearly still not match fit and needs a conditioning block but our mids are so bad we can't afford that. Judge him off a full pre-season next year

Agreed, I dare say the biggest disappointment was declaring him fit when we had someone like Hugo fully fit waiting in the wings.

Interesting presser from Ross. Wouldn’t bag Max. Offered some excuse for his difficulties. Laughed (sort of) about Higgins. Said a few carried injuries in….Dow with an ankle.

Seemed frustrated. But kind of accepting on the surface. But if I didn’t know better he is riding the season out as cheerfully as he can with a view to getting better next year. Combination of further development, judicious trading and high draft picks.

Only way I can look at it and keep my sanity. And I agree to a point with him that we weren’t as bad as some are making out. This place is depressing at times.
Haven't watched the game and not gonna. But.
Our old crew in Ross, Membrey and Jones have gone off a cliff so didn't play.
Our FB is injured and didn't play.
Our FF apparently has a saw knee and is in a slump.
Our wonderkind Chito is all out of sorts.

Reality is that our team is in pretty poor shape over all. A 2 point loss against Butters, Rozee and JHF isn't something to feel too bad about considering.
Perfect result if you're in on draft picks.

I ask myself... Who, from our players list, is playing better this season than last season? Not counting first year players & the imports. There are a few that are maybe marginally better. In my opinion, the team, as a whole, has gone backwards in form. Is this my imagination? Is it just bad luck that almost the entire team looks out of sorts & down on form?

Of the 3 imports, Dow, Bonner & Henry I think they have been generally disappointing. They're ok but I think most fans would have wanted more from them, particularly Dow. I never heard Dow's name mentioned during yesterday's game. Apparently he was on the field. Is Hunter Clark really an on-ball player? I would back Todd Goldstein in a foot race against him.

Is Hugo Garcia in a coma? Why isn't he in the team? FFS! Why isn't Darcy Wilson given more responsibility, as he is clearly a very talented player. Why did it take so long to get Arie Schoenmakers in the team? Everybody here has been lourding his talents all season and he definitely looks the goods.

I know FA about coaching but from my perspective this looks like one very poorly coached team. Player form is one thing but on team selection alone it baffles me.

Toss the Ross!

That's all well and good but Port were ripe for the picking and we lacked the skill to get it done.

If we don't find a way to improve our midfield then we are stuffed. We basically got beaten by three players yesterday.
And we know that
Fixing it isn’t an overnight thing
10 years neglect hard to write off in 18 mths

I ask myself... Who, from our players list, is playing better this season than last season? Not counting first year players & the imports. There are a few that are maybe marginally better. In my opinion, the team, as a whole, has gone backwards in form. Is this my imagination? Is it just bad luck that almost the entire team looks out of sorts & down on form?

Of the 3 imports, Dow, Bonner & Henry I think they have been generally disappointing. They're ok but I think most fans would have wanted more from them, particularly Dow. I never heard Dow's name mentioned during yesterday's game. Apparently he was on the field. Is Hunter Clark really an on-ball player? I would back Todd Goldstein in a foot race against him.

Is Hugo Garcia in a coma? Why isn't he in the team? FFS! Why isn't Darcy Wilson given more responsibility, as he is clearly a very talented player. Why did it take so long to get Arie Schoenmakers in the team? Everybody here has been lourding his talents all season and he definitely looks the goods.

I know FA about coaching but from my perspective this looks like one very poorly coached team. Player form is one thing but on team selection alone it baffles me.

Toss the Ross!

Wilson had a stinker against Port.

He has had a few lately but all good learning experience for him

Maybe he needs a break but we played Pou every game last year so maybe not
I think it was obvious that Pou did need a break last year and I'm not sure persisting with him in poor form did him any favours. Would have preferred that he had a week off occasionally and also got genuine midfield time at Sandy, as he is now.

Wilson seems tired which is very understandable for a first year player who hasn't missed a game (or been subbed on or off). If he's similarly quiet next week then I'd see no harm in giving him a week off and then earning his senior spot back via Sandy.

He's mid 20s and still unable to run out full games. He obviously gets time because we've contracted him but he might just be a bit of a Luke Dunstan where he's depth more than the main man. You need a few back up mids and worst case he's that.

If Crouch and Steele are gone next year he might need to get a personal trainer during the Christmas holidays. He'll be our main man. Clark, Jones and Dow could be the worst midfield ever assembled in the AFL era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilson had a stinker against Port.

He looked young and inexperienced. At one point he was in defence and a player ran past him into Port's goal, he chose to run out into space in case we won the ball and he'd be off. Really should have marked up because the player that went past him scored.

50 games in and he's playing that different. He's shown enough to suggest he's probably the best kid on the list beside Nas but looks ready for a rest.

I think it was obvious that Pou did need a break last year and I'm not sure persisting with him in poor form did him any favours. Would have preferred that he had a week off occasionally and also got genuine midfield time at Sandy, as he is now.

Wilson seems tired which is very understandable for a first year player who hasn't missed a game (or been subbed on or off). If he's similarly quiet next week then I'd see no harm in giving him a week off and then earning his senior spot back via Sandy.

Exactly.
Newsflash: Playing VFL is not a punishment. Its a development tool. If you get dropped to the VFL you have a chance to remedy what you are doing wrong. Not always easy in a high paced environment where you can barely get your hands on the ball.

Campbell made a huge difference last week but this week Sweet had him covered and had no real difference.

Yeah- although in campbells defence- sweet looked pretty dominant.
Tom is no slouch in ruck contests- but sweet was in full beast mode.
Not sure if sweet plays like that in ruck contests everyweek (?) But he looked elite.

I think big tom just got unlucky- he wont come up against that level every week.
Id like to see him stay in the team.
Especially with roma kicking goals- and looking far more energetic and explosive

Exactly.
Newsflash: Playing VFL is not a punishment. Its a development tool. If you get dropped to the VFL you have a chance to remedy what you are doing wrong. Not always easy in a high paced environment where you can barely get your hands on the ball.
Exactly.
Was gonna say.
All this talk that Wilson will benefit from his run of games....umm..that is what the seconds are for, isn't it? We are playing for premiership points. It is not a training camp.

Not sure if sweet plays like that in ruck contests everyweek (?) But he looked elite.

I think big tom just got unlucky- he wont come up against that level every week.
Especially with roma kicking goals- and looking far more energetic and explosive
We lost assendency when Tom was in there & even though Ro kicked 3 who's to say Sharman wouldn't have kicked them with a full game.

They smashed us in centre clearnces at least Ro becomes the bigger bodied MFielder in there, poor selection for me should of had Sharmo in & Garcia as the subb his pure tackling in the last Qrt would of helped rattle the cage.

Weird coaches votes this game:

6: Horne-Francis
5: Butters
4: Zerk-Thatcher, Wilkie
3: Marshall, Rozee
2: Aliir, Battle
1: Wanganeen-Milera

Horne-Francis the only guy to get votes from both coaches!
So a combined 14 votes to 3 PA mids.

And our mids got a bagel!

I wanted Sweet last year. He dominated VFL and was easily the best ruck not playing regular footy.

I wanted Sweet last year. He dominated VFL and was easily the best ruck not playing regular footy.
Not really knowing much about him then but the general commentary if I remember correctly on here (😳) was lots of spud talk. Gee whizz there were a few Ryder type hitouts down butters and horny throats.

Did I just say that out loud? 🥴

Same. Thought he would've been a great get for chips. But that would've cost us Arie so I'm not too mad (assuming Campbell still would've been retained)
I think he was another one we chased but he signed with Port because he thought he was a better chance of getting a regular game there rather than running around at Sandy waiting for Marshall to get injured.

Port then did the dirty on him and signed Ivan Soldo as well.

Wasn't perfect on Sunday but I do prefer the flexibility we get from being able to use Marshall in different ways.

Might be time for Max Heath to get a run.

I think he was another one we chased but he signed with Port because he thought he was a better chance of getting a regular game there rather than running around at Sandy waiting for Marshall to get injured.

Port then did the dirty on him and signed Ivan Soldo as well.

Wasn't perfect on Sunday but I do prefer the flexibility we get from being able to use Marshall in different ways.

Might be time for Max Heath to get a run.
Yep surely they give big Max a few games before the seasons done. Hopefully Keeler too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back