silk

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 17 has us returning to the MCG to face the old enemy, and like a lot of fans, I’m not looking forward to this nor am excited the the prospect of being Smashed late in this season by these pricks again. My general approach to these previews has been to shelve my feelings and try and take a more positive approach. I also try to be light-hearted and jovial, and I figure if you want to hear idiots having sooks about their you can just listen to 10 minutes of SEN call-back before that inevitably has you contemplating sticking your head in the oven. I’m going to stick to that mantra as best I can here, but, I’m going to have a rant too.. Sorry.. but it's not about last night’s loss as least.

What the **** are we doing here when it comes to young players? How the **** is it a good idea to play Caddy one week, then drop him but have him as the holdover emergency and not have him play VFL. How the **** are you supposed to build match fitness and develop your game if you are not ****en playing any games! It hasn’t just happened to Caddy. We’ve seen Tsatas play as sub several games in a row meaning he played 1 full game spread over 4 weeks. It is such a stupid ****en way to select the team.. We have done shit for 20 ****en years you ****en morons.. This season doesn’t ****en matter, so how about making someone more senior for the sub and the emergencies and not destroying the continuity of younger players.

AD_4nXeZxLlRhU4WTKfCj_lje8U-C8nNjXDjxTDMxSTiWtor9I27v_7_jzlmvdN7v160k38eGif6A1NElsDM5ThRDz7lUgA5B0fM2LlezIMTP7bCYqzk05R_X_ZdFqV7riNA3IBwUifC5RFt5NuLPPbAXs4efQ14

The Round Before The Round That Was

I spoke before the game about the clear mental fragility of our playing group…. And last night proved that we are still the most mentally weak side in the AFL. The umpiring was ****ed.. Especially that Menzie call when near exact ones haven’t been called for several seasons. I’m impressed that the ump that he was able to blow the whistle and then signal which way the free went with one of his hands down his pants.

But that 4th quarter.. We could have come out breathing fire. We could have shown that we are for ****en real for once.. We didn’t. We kicked one for the quarter to their five. That’s ****en pathetic… Sorry, I’m actually feeling really really shitty about this loss in particular, but it feels like it was season-ending. I thought we’d be shit this season, and I kinda wanted us to be proper shit. I’m ****en of sick of the middle of the road kinda competitive, getting a shitty top-10 pick cycle. I was really hoping I’d be proven wrong, but no.. Geelong did it again and removed all hope I have… until we win on Friday and suddenly I’ll be back on the wagon.

AD_4nXfhucj87sRJQdSzKeQCqzQ67Xvc2HlBea2ZdoFg1dqKZyneFhvLHrHXyI1wlNsx6_vnjk_iZ6awg3-n0yhY1vr4VtbwWwFvTA__aaYyEIte37ELvSH41Ny9MHDhrFGrd8UVjTCCZ2y-1fHCGWY06mBLdWgg

GEELONG 3.2 6.4 11.6 16.9 (105)
ESSENDON 4.2 7.3 8.3 9.6 (60)
GOALS
Geelong: Stengle 3, Dempsey 2, Cameron 2, Rohan 2, Duncan, Neale, Holmes, Bowes, Blicavs, Close, Knevitt
Essendon: Stringer 2, Wright 2, Gresham, Merrett, Hind, Guelfi, Langford

BEST
Geelong: Dempsey, Bowes, Holmes, Tuohy, Rohan, Stewart
Essendon: Caldwell, Durham, Merrett, Martin, Guelfi

INJURIES
Geelong: Nil
Essendon: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Geelong: Mark O'Connor (replaced Mitch Duncan in the fourth quarter)
Essendon: Nik Cox (replaced Harry Jones in the fourth quarter)

Crowd: 54,698 at the MCG

Collingwood lost to the Suns after once again making a strong comeback after being 30+ points down in the 3rd and taking the lease late in the 4th, suns we able to kick 2 in a row to take home the chocolates.

GOLD COAST 4.2 8.6 12.11 14.17 (101)
COLLINGWOOD 4.3 5.4 8.9 13.12 (90)

GOALS
Gold Coast: King 4, Lukosius 2, Long 2, Ainsworth 2, Holman, Flanders, Day, Graham
Collingwood: Mihocek 2, De Goey 2, N.Daicos 2, Pendlebury, Lipinski, Kreuger, Howe, Hoskin-Elliott, Hill, J.Daicos

BEST
Gold Coast: Witts, Flanders, Anderson, Uwland, Miller, Long, King
Collingwood: N.Daicos, De Goey, Howe, J.Daicos, Sidebottom

INJURIES
Gold Coast: Nil
Collingwood: McCreery (calf)

SUBSTITUTES
Gold Coast: Bailey Humphrey (replaced David Swallow in the third quarter)
Collingwood: Joe Richards (replaced Beau McCreery in the third quarter)

Crowd: 23,029 at People First Stadium

The Last Time We Met

In hindsight, our last game was a vision of the future; we dominated just about every stat except this one.
AD_4nXcbM-tCVcTT4IS2Ec4CcZsIBbpGnEDKqWT58-cV5NgEJkNkOLcnygV2sdtUCu0HzsBWAEgow0llygKrDsqIUy-ZR5Or2JFKzWB9YCvhs9YvJ82_kinrXXUcyhXWya2m7T2nY03PqTXL4aBvN5_wSG2f6DDO

And that’s the extent of my technical analysis capabilities.

ESSENDON 6.1 7.6 9.11 12.13 (85)
COLLINGWOOD 2.6 6.11 9.12 12.13 (85)

GOALS
Essendon: Langford 4, Wright 2, Stringer, Jones, Parish, Draper, A. Davey, Martin
Collingwood: Mihocek 3, Elliott 2, Hoskin-Elliott, N. Daicos, Lipinski, Schultz, J. Daicos, Harrison, McCreery

BEST
Essendon: Merrett, Parish, Langford, Martin, Stringer, McGrath
Collingwood: N. Daicos, Pendlebury, Moore, Mihocek, Noble, J. Daicos

INJURIES
Essendon: Jones (nose)
Collingwood: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Jones in the fourth term)
Collingwood: Harvey Harrison (replaced Mitchell in the fourth term)

Crowd: 93,644 at the MCG

The Selection Table - Yeah, I'm still grumpy

Possible Outs -
Draper - Won’t happen, but he will soon be the most underrated playing the AFL as everyone is starting to realize how well and truly bad and overrated he has been. I don’t buy what Scott said in the press conference. (Geelong have arguably the worst ruck combination in the AFL and he didn't do shit against them, should have dominated)
Goldstein - Again, wont’ happen, but most teams play one ruck.. We play two.. Oh yeah we really good at being innovators as showin the last 20 years.
Stringer/Langford/Wright - One of these has to go - The forward line doesn’t work with these three in there.
Menzie - Not fast enough or clever enough for a small forward or back pocket.
Perkins - Didn’t do enough - Too up and down despite the talent (I didn't have to change this from last week.. Surprise surprise)
Jones/Cox - Can’t play both - I prefer Cox currently

Possible Ins - (Hey, the vfl team won this week)
Hobbs - Would love to say this is based on a good VFL.. but of course he didn’t ****en play at all this weekend
Caddy - Copy and past from above
Davey - Copy and past from above
Shiel - Was very good in the VFL and maybe we can get his value up from a 4th to 3rd by playing him
Bryan - Don’t care about the GC game - Was probably BOG in the VFL again and Draper and Goldstein aren’t the answer going forward - Let’s find out if Bryan can become something or not.

My Prediction -
AD_4nXd-yGSXCJr0yBjEbTfhATDaj3FevKYFM7EJeX4xDyWbfJaU1A1ICTneFzWx0TFkDYMEZ76LSWfO03LjnRp0_9oxddgXHYU64WdqI_3OA1DEEOvYO5swNlFhCxtMeUR24F0sT4foRURb2UEwVVO30sW5t7E

Collingwood by 30

Last edited:

Underperforming players, veterans struggling, some players who deserve a call up from the vfl and reward form.

Brad: we will go in unchanged.

Actually scrap that, it will be Kelly for Jones. We just know it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably be OUT: Menzie IN: Kelly...

But I'm hoping for;-

OUT: Menzie Heppell Goldy
IN: Shiel Hobbs Caddy

Team;-

Ridley McKay Lav
Martin Redman McGrath
Cox Caldwell Duursma
Guelfi Caddy Hind
Stringer Langford Gresham

Draper Durham Merrett

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Jones 2MP
SUB: Perkins

I'd let Perkins develop some midfield craft in the VFL. I'd also play one ruck and not have all of Langford (who looks injured), Caddy, Wright and Stringer in the same forward line. Menzie should get a few weeks at VFL level to work on his stuff at half back.

Out: Langford (inj), Goldstein, Perkins, Menzie
In: Caddy, Kelly, Davey, Setterfield

Laverde - McKay - Kelly
Redman - Ridley - McGrath
Duursma - Caldwell - Martin
Davey - Wright - Guelfi
Stringer - Caddy - Gresham
Draper - Merrett - Durham
Cox - Setterfield - Hind - Jones
Heppell

I'd let Perkins develop some midfield craft in the VFL. I'd also play one ruck and not have all of Langford (who looks injured), Caddy, Wright and Stringer in the same forward line. Menzie should get a few weeks at VFL level to work on his stuff at half back.

Out: Langford (inj), Goldstein, Perkins, Menzie
In: Caddy, Kelly, Davey, Setterfield

Laverde - McKay - Kelly
Redman - Ridley - McGrath
Duursma - Caldwell - Martin
Davey - Wright - Guelfi
Stringer - Caddy - Gresham
Draper - Merrett - Durham
Cox - Setterfield - Hind - Jones
Heppell
I posted earlier that I would have Bryan come in but Pies are not very strong there so yeah, 1 ruck. Like Davey inclusion you have. He might not be defensive but he adds a spark we desperately need.

I do think Shiel deserves a spot. Have to reward form IMO.

Just hoping Ridley & Jones are not injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back