Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably our third best game for the year. Brisbane had to pull out some very good footy to get over us - they are looking excellent so it's a credit to have been so close.

+
  • played the kids
  • pushed a top 4 side to the end
  • showed good fight all day
  • pressure off the charts
  • Hough
  • Ryan through the midfield continues to reap rewards
  • good signs from everyone we brought in
-
  • injuries
  • other players letting Cameron score goals when Hough wasn't there
  • didn't win

• Trew was good today. The test will be stringing together a few decent games / showing consistency
  • Hunt is a much better HBF than wing
  • Maric was solid on a wing. Feel HBF though might be his best position in time
  • Agree with a couple earlier posters that Reid can just try to do too much quite often. Not a criticism, I'm sure he'll work that out fairly quickly.
  • Allen was quiet but the way he turned it on in the last shows he's high quality (obvs we know this already).
  • Ginbey's missed tackle late in the game very costly when I think margin was 2 goals but as a result they went forward & goaled. I thought, as usual, he showed a bit, but it's not really all coming together. Really needs to harness his physical advantages, but it's not really intuitive to him

Positives
we were a lot better thani thought

Hedwards has shown on his limited games he deserves to stay on the list despite having some haters.
Trew played quite well but will need multiple good games to get a contract
Ledwards played allright but will need to play better to get a contract
Bwilliams actually took some marks.
A ruck and three tall forwards should be what we go forward with

negatives
Got killed in the clearances
Lack of kicking skills when kicking into the forward line
JJones playing instead of a developing player

Most importantly, it wasn't one of those games (like the past fortnight) where, after 3 hours you couldn't think of a single player from your 18 on field who actually won their position.

Today was a collective team effort, from young and old.

Excellent, Windhager is s sh#tstain on the competition and I look forward to deathriding his career.

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

I thought the send off for Simpson was also done really well

A chance for us fans to acknowledge him and what he achieved as coach and for him to thank the fans for their support of him

Was relatively short and sharp and there was genuine warmth for him

Tossing the coin was neither here nor there but it gave a useful excuse for him to be out there and also the opportunity to embrace the players without being involved in the pregame build up

It was a far better alternative than him coaching the team as a farewell

The club has made its share of mistakes in recent times but I feel they handled the departure of Simpson pretty well

Positives
-I'm really impressed with our young defenders. I doubt Hedwards will be a star, but if he stays fit he should be a competent fullback for a long time. Hough just doesn't lose contests. About as good a Shep replacement as you could possibly hope for.
-Trew was great. The selectors usually get it right when someone's out of favor (it's not like Partington and Brander made us regret it) but he looks more like a handy B-grader than a list clogger to me.

Don't really have any negatives tbh. Brisbane stay in touch with the top four while we acquitted ourselves well as an impressive young side who still gets another top-three draft pick. Good bit of business for everyone involved and a fun Sunday arvo of footy.

Im thinking about exploring Trew and Culley more too. If they both turn out to be ok at the level then it might be worth keeping them both on the list, and we might not need to trade in more midfield depth for next year.

Cant fit them all in.

At this rate Culley wont get a gig at AFL level this year outside an injury.

Its just an idea

It would be good idea to play Culley and Trew in the midfield and perhaps send Yeo to HBF out of the heat for the last couple of games ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+Chesser and darling not playing
Hough.. my new fave
HEdwards. Looks less like a baby giraffe
these days. His body has filled out and he can hold his own out there
Flyin... when he started the game in the goalsquare I was shaking my head. I know he can play there but with our tall forward line and generally crap midfield I was expecting a quiet milestone match for him.glad he didn't play deep much

-not sure if this is a negative but will Harley be one of if not the most disliked players in the comp? Seems to complain to the umps a lot. If tackling puts a bit extra on it resulting in a wrestle. Also results in him copping extra whenever he gets tackled, also resulting in a time wasting wrestle. No doubt he'll mature but I really wouldn't want an antagonistic little ballantyne on our team

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it’s time to drop Ginbey, some shocking tackling efforts. He’s not defensive enough to be a defender. Doesn’t get enough ball in the middle nor know how to get into positions. Touted as a bull. What a crock of shit that is. Needs a circuit breaker.
Was thinking exactly the same. lacks some poise when under pressure. Send him back to the WAFL, the days of players being "Insta Picks" has to go, 3 weeks poor form and you're dropped. Darling being dropped is hopefully the start of the reversal of this kind of thing, you have to "Earn" a spot not just be a coaches favourite.

+ I enjoyed the game.
Nearly all the players had some good moments.
Trew went ok
Bailey improved after getting mugged early
Maric looks more suited to the wing than Chesser
Harry had one of his better games.
On the whole the backline performed ok.

- made the mistake of looking at the game day thread at half time. The usual suspects were spewing their bile and we even had a guest appearance from an anti vaxxer playing some of the old hits.
Footywise - We were a few brain fades away from getting up.
Cripps can be annoying at times
Harley shouldn't try to be spectacular every time he gets the ball, sometimes less is more.
Love Yeo but up and under hoofs aren't the most effective way to enter the forward line.
Jones probably the only player who was rarely sighted. Give one of the young kids his spot next week.
Anti vaxxers were proven correct...?

Few things that stood out, most have been mentioned:

+

Trew - woohoo, he’s shown a huge improvement since last year, hopefully he stays in the side to gain some consistency. In years gone by he looked way out of his depth at AFL level but given a full game with his WAFL form he looked good.

This leads me to Kelly - looks like the addition of Trew was able to take some responsibility off his plate and free him up to show a bit of polish.

Ryan was bloody unbelievable. At a couple stages this year I wasn’t too sure, but he clearly has some history with Schofield. Will be good to see if he can keep this up with a full uninterrupted pre season next year.

Hough amazing as always.

We are a better side with Jack Williams in. He moves really well for a big man, makes a great contest and just looks dangerous. Seems to be playing with a bit more confidence and mongrel. Sorry JD, I think your spot is on the line here.

Maric is just a smooth operator.

Harry Edwards is going to be Mr Reliable in years to come.

Brockman showed exactly why we signed him, unfortunately got injured not long after…

Hutchinson is always dangerous. Good size and athleticism, can tackle and if he nailed that second goal, there would be a lot more comments about him. Definitely got the tools to succeed.

Allen, at one point I was thinking bloody hell, he needs to pull his finger out. To his credit, absolutely did.

Schofield coached a good game.

- /

Reid was good, worked hard all day with his usual x-factor however he needs to pull his head in a little bit. It’s a hard one to coach because the ‘flamboyancy’ with which he plays is what makes him, however needs to be mindful of discipline. Comes with experience though, so good luck to him. To see him still rack up the footy and break out some explosive plays under close attention each week is a credit to him.

Ginbey, not a personal negative. Potentially a move back to the WAFL for the purpose of finding where he wants to play, where he feels comfortable and where is going to be best for his development. I don’t see how people can call him slow, he is a 190cm+ midfielder. He has a decent set of wheels for his size. He just needs to find where he best fits and gain some confidence. No doubt he is a massive part of the team moving forward.

Jones… where does he fit? Seems to put the effort in but maybe he doesn’t quite have the tools. We could do with an upgrade on his type.

Unfortunately a lack of polish in the end may have damaged our chances of winning, however you get that, and the standard we showed yesterday was far better than most of the footy we’ve played this year. Can’t knock that too hard, just nit picky things. Just not a fan of those little flash chip around the body kicks which burnt us a couple of times.

Good game, certainly a pass mark. Looking forward to selection next week and hopefully another competitive performance. We have winnable games ahead, would be nice to see the boys come away with at least one more before the end of the season.

A bit late to the party but that was a pleasing effort from the boys. Skills and tackling were much better and we were in the game as a result. It was nice to see us trying to take the game on again - it's a far more attractive brand of footy when it comes off. I liked the look of Hunt and Ginbey behind the ball at times. Good to see Maric spend some time down back as well.

Absolutely losing sucks, but not with standing the extra effort put in, it was good to see a different game style, rather than the stagnant backwards and sideways kicking we have seen the last few years.

Plus add to that decent team selection getting the team balance a little better, and players getting a chance to show what they are capable of, this shows the club made the right call letting Simmo go.

It can only be upwards from here.

I believe Ginbey's poor form is due to fittness. He wanted to chase but just didnt have the legs to chase. His nickname is Mr Fumbles keeps fumbling under pressure. Only young so another preseason is needed & he will be a huge part of our rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back