Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not the only one. Dwayne Russell (who is usually pretty balanced IMO) was also pretty adamant that Charlie drove Duggen into the ground with unnecessary force. Dwayne Russell is correct though - if the penalty was 1-week for an accidental tackle resulting in injury, then we would have all accepted it and moved on.

That is the problem - as it is now it is either 3 weeks or nothing. There must be some leeway in the penalty.

If the AFL were to make such an amendment, I wonder if anyone is willing to take a little at the statistics of the number of such tackles resulting in injury. If there's 1000 tackles where a players is taken to ground with arms pinned, and 10 of those tackles result in concussion, then that's a 1% chance of getting concussed from such a tackle. That doesn't make it likely to happen in my book.

I think until a case is actually taken to court and responsibility apportioned, the AFL will continue to "overreact". The fact that you can allocate any % to an action might be justification enough to make the change currently.

Sooner or later the limit of duty of care will have to apply if the sport is to remain a contact one. The problem is until someone (the courts) actually make that limit definable, and all parties accept the risks, rule changes are going to continually made on the run.

I'm not convinced Ralph watched the game or even just the footage
I get the feeling he is all on generating drama to feed his career rather than any interest in the actual game. There's a few current media people (I won't call them journalists) like this

What I found interesting in the Bedford decision was that it was actually one of the Tribunal members who brought up the legal issue used in the Cameron case and suggested that it could also be used in Bedford’s case. So really our barrister got them both off! Should get double the fee!

I get the feeling he is all on generating drama to feed his career rather than any interest in the actual game. There's a few current media people (I won't call them journalists) like this

Ralphy's just a useful idiot for the AFL. One of the least connected journos in the comp. So the AFL feed him a bit of inside news occasionally, and in return he is an establishment simp.

Who made Ralphy judge and jury? Hence the long drawn out and costly process we just endured. It just goes to show how open to interpretation the rules are that it got this far.

But for me that's the reality of the game. These cases are with us to stay from here on in.
If you saw him on Midweek Tackle you’d think he was. He’s having a sook about the outcome of Charlie’s hearing still maintaining that he should have got three weeks and that we only were successful on error of law unlike Cripps hit on Ag Chee where he said that Cripps was right in getting off because it was a fair hit. He also disagreed with Fagan’s PC today about what we are instructing our players.

Seriously WTF is this guy and who does he think he is? Absolute cheerleader for the AFL.

If you saw him on Midweek Tackle you’d think he was. He’s having a sook about the outcome of Charlie’s hearing still maintaining that he should have got three weeks and that we only were successful on error of law unlike Cripps hit on Ag Chee where he said that Cripps was right in getting off because it was a fair hit. He also disagreed with Fagan’s PC today about what we are instructing our players.

Seriously WTF is this guy and who does he think he is? Absolute cheerleader for the AFL.
Yeah. He was nauseating, wasn’t he.

No one has more respect for the appeals board than me. I’ve always said the Appeals Board is a worthy and venerable institution, unlike the tribunal which is a crock of shit. They say no one respects the appeal board more than you Elixuh.

No one has more respect for the appeals board than me. I’ve always said the Appeals Board is a worthy and venerable institution, unlike the tribunal which is a crock of shit. They say no one respects the appeal board more than you Elixuh.

Love their werk. They just called the AFL out. Don't trample over the game to get the result you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole system is beyond repair. It started when Cripps got off on some obscure legal crap when he had deliberately elbowed Ah Chee from behind in a quite cowardly attempt to, as BT put It, "make a statement" when Carlton were being beaten.

Ah Chee was unconscious before his head hit the ground. He was able after some time to get up on all fours with the assistance of trainers and then vomited. I was seated no more than 25m from all this.

The process that allowed this thug to get off scot free and then go on to win the Brownlow is corrupt. If any club other than a key VFL side had been involved you would never hear the end of it. I rest my case with Brayshaw and the Collingwood thug. Corrupt!!!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

The whole system is beyond repair. It started when Cripps got off on some obscure legal crap when he had deliberately elbowed Ah Chee from behind in a quite cowardly attempt to, as BT put It, "make a statement" when Carlton were being beaten.

Ah Chee was unconscious before his head hit the ground. He was able after some time to get up on all fours with the assistance of trainers and then vomited. I was seated no more than 25m from all this.

The process that allowed this thug to get off scot free and then go on to win the Brownlow is corrupt. If any club other than a key VFL side had been involved you would never hear the end of it. I rest my case with Brayshaw and the Collingwood thug. Corrupt!!!

I just went back and rewatched the Cripps hit. Pretty sickening watching Ah Chee's head hit the ground. Cripps appeared to clip him again (unintendedly) as he landed. Then that he got off over the use of the word "bump" in the tribunal findings. I think they should take his brownlow away retrospectively and award it to Lachie.

In that regard, I wish Charlie & Bedford didn't get off on an "Error of Law". I would rather he got off on an Error of Assessment by the tribunal. (though I'll take i take it!).

Who actually refers players to the Tribunal ... from what I can tell the primary driver is the commentariat but surely someone makes the initial decision that this-should-be-looked-at apart from them?
Page-7 of this glorious document: https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...509b31d77ed8/2024-AFL-Tribunal-Guidelines.pdf
(and can guarantee that Charlie Cameron won't get a full page spread next season!).

Match Review Officer: Michael Christian
» Review reports or referrals lodged by Umpires and other designated officials.
» Analyse available video of all potential Reportable Offences.
» Make charges when satisfied that a Reportable Offence has occurred.
» Determine the appropriate classification of Classifiable Offences.
» Refer relevant offences to the Tribunal where applicable.
» Advise Players of any charges and the corresponding sanction for that charge (which a Player may accept or contest at the Tribunal).
» Provide reasons in respect of any reports or referrals which do not progress to a charge.

REPORTS
» Umpires
REFERRALS
» Umpires
» Umpires Observer
» Umpires Manager
» Executive General Manager Football
» Club CEOs
» Match Review Officer video review (all matches reviewed)

No mention of the media there. :)

This 1000%!

The fact that Ralph, dared to mention the Cripps snipe in the same context as Charlie’s tackle appals me.

But he went on to argue (albeit convoluted lay) that the Cripps decision was legitimate and Charlie’s was not! 🤮

What I found interesting in the Bedford decision was that it was actually one of the Tribunal members who brought up the legal issue used in the Cameron case and suggested that it could also be used in Bedford’s case. So really our barrister got them both off! Should get double the fee!
Bedford's counsel did the Steven Bradbury - professionally embarrassing for the Bedford legal team. Winneke for President.

Just one other residual from the Cripps thuggery. It struck me that day that no-one, like no-one of the Lions took after this prick to render retribution. Then again, since Martin Pike we have no such personality in our ranks. We are such a nice team.

Just one other residual from the Cripps thuggery. It struck me that day that no-one, like no-one of the Lions took after this prick to render retribution. Then again, since Martin Pike we have no such personality in our ranks. We are such a nice team.

Rewatch the incident. Dan Rich and Darcy Gardner go to him and throw him to ground.
The game has changed since Martin Pike's time. If someone had followed up and flattened Cripps they would have been suspended for x-weeks. The retaliator always gets a bigger punishment than the instigator.

Rewatch the incident. Dan Rich and Darcy Gardner go to him and throw him to ground.
The game has changed since Martin Pike's time. If someone had followed up and flattened Cripps they would have been suspended for x-weeks. The retaliator always gets a bigger punishment than the instigator.

Yeah Dizzy is pretty good at getting in an opponents face without pushing it too far

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back