Preview Round 18 - Port Adelaide v GWS Giants, Sunday 4:10pm ACST at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

TheBeardAmigos

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1411724593810.jpg

Future Port Adelaide teammates Logan Austin and Jack Steele in their pre AFL days.
PORT ADELAIDE V GWS GIANTS - ROUND 18, SUNDAY 4:40PM, ADELAIDE OVAL
Round 18 has rolled around and with 6 games left in the season, this game is crucial to both sides seasons. Port Adelaide are trying to keep their finals hopes alive, while a loss here for the Giants could be the difference between a qualifying final and an elimination final. Plenty at stake here for both teams. GWS will jump to 4th on the ladder, with their massive win over the Lions and will take a good percentage boost with them.

HEAD TO HEAD
Played 6
Port Adelaide 4
GWS 2

Most Recent Meeting

Round 4 2016, Manuka Oval
GWS 22.19.151
Port Adelaide 9.11.65

We were humiliated last time we played, as the Giants romped home by 84 points. Stephen Coniglio had 34 disposals and 1 goal, Dylan Shiel 31 and 1, Toby Greene 27 and 1 and Callan Ward 24 and 2. The Giants had 14 different goal kickers in that game, highlighting the spread they hold. Rory Lobb kicked 4 goals and will be a challenge again this week for our inexperienced and under-sized backline. Jasper Pittard and Jack Hombsch were our best, with JP collecting 32 touches and Hombsch 21 touches and 14 marks. This season's shining light in Byrne-Jones had 21 touches and 1 goal in his 2nd game.

Here are the highlights, not that we really want to see them again.......

Match Odds
Will update these daily, if possible
Crownbet Odds
Port Adelaide $2.20
GWS $1.70

KEY MATCHUPS
Jackson Trengove v Shane Mumford

This will be the most intriguing match up. Jacko was spectacular against Todd Goldstein on Saturday and apparently wanted to stay in the ruck for the North game, despite them have the 3 talls up forward. GWS have a similar forward structure to the Kangas, but it seems unlikely that Jacko will move back to help out. Both are similar players who love the contest and this is the matchup I am looking forward to most.

Charlie Dixon v Phil Davis
All season we have been bombing it long onto Charlie's head, when he has 3 defenders on him. All season, he has broke even or won the contest. The return of Schulz will help him out, but still think we need to have Butcher in the side, so that it frees up Dixon even more and allows him to play 1 on 1. Davis has been one of the best KPDs this year and has beaten or broke even with his opponents all year. This will be a telling matchup, if our other forwards fail to fire.

Brad Ebert v Callan Ward/Stephen Coniglio/Tom Scully
If Ebert returns this week, he will be sent to one of the following players. This is a key match up in the midfield, as it will curb the influence of one of their star midfielders, which allows Boak, Gray and Wines to go head to head with the others. Ebert was in great form before he injured himself (or Mitchell dragged him down, depending on how you saw it;)) and kept Dustin Martin to limited impact. He has the running ability to go with Scully or the toughness to go to Ward or Coniglio.

Our defence v their forward line
Going in with an undersized and inexperienced backline will be tough, but we showed that we can handle it. Austin was solid on Petrie and I expect him to line up on Lobb. Clurey was galiant on Brown last week, but showed plenty of good signs and should go to Patton, while Stewart could go to Cameron. Then their smalls in Greene, Smith and Stevie J will be tough to match up on. DBJ, Pittard, Hartlett and potentially Krak all have tough jobs ahead of them, but we will back them in to keep them quiet.

Prediction: I want to say Port by 24 because we showed better signs last week, but we dropped off dramatically in the 2nd half and Norf's bad kicking kept them out of the contest.
We definitely should NOT go in with an unchanged line up, as Ebert, Krakouer and potentially Polec/Toumpas/Lobbe could come back into the side.
GWS by 35
Boak to have 30+
Lobb to have the most contested marks ever recorded in a game
Jacko and Mummy to have the most physical ruck contest ever seen.

266391_8b93ad2f60ec6f4172f87e7ad7d62f9d.gif

Last edited:

Will be a super tough game. Not sure we can turn around that 86 point loss to them earlier in the year, but it being played at Adelaide Oval this time around should make some difference, but I don't think it'll be enough.

I think GWS might be too good to drop this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS got rolled by Collingwood and that's more of an indication of where they are at than the Brisbane game. The game is line ball.

And it was at Spotless too so GWS are certainly vulnerable... whether port will put the pressure on they put on the kangas under yesterday is anyones guess.

Prediction: A coin toss will give more a more accurate results.

These blokes lost to Collingwood just 8 short days ago, so they're far from unbeatable. I didn't see the game, but the commentators pointed out the fact that the Magpies identified that Rhyce Shaw generates a lot of the Giants run from half back, so they assigned McCaffer to run with him to make him accountable. With Shaw rendered ineffective, GWS found it hard to generate enough opportunities to kick a winning score. We need to do something similar with Shaw this week - I'm not sure who can play that role, but I reckon it's a key to success next Sunday.

These blokes lost to Collingwood just 8 short days ago, so they're far from unbeatable. I didn't see the game, but the commentators pointed out the fact that the Magpies identified that Rhyce Shaw generates a lot of the Giants run from half back, so they assigned McCaffer to run with him to make him accountable. With Shaw rendered ineffective, GWS found it hard to generate enough opportunities to kick a winning score. We need to do something similar with Shaw this week - I'm not sure who can play that role, but I reckon it's a key to success next Sunday.
i think you mean Heath Shaw:p

Stick Impey on him. He's definitely got a bit of niggle and can play a close checking role from when he started in defense. He can wear him like a glove then try to burn off him when we break with the ball.

I'm actually worried about the crowd. We could dip below 30,000. Crap time slot, school back the next day. Although, even with a crap time slot will still get more than most vic teams.

Want to see our leaders take it to the mouthy GWS mob. They embarrassed us last time, it's time for payback.

Stick Impey on him. He's definitely got a bit of niggle and can play a close checking role from when he started in defense. He can wear him like a glove then try to burn off him when we break with the ball.
Yep good call. Jarman has been a much impey-roved player this year, and he'd relish the challenge.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 18 - Port Adelaide v GWS Giants, Sunday 4:10pm ACST at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back