Preview Round 19 2024 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday July 20, 1.45pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be thankful that Charlie Cameron's case went before Toby Bedford's.

Other way around and Bedford's appeal would have been dismissed.

Be thankful that Charlie Cameron's case went before Toby Bedford's.

Other way around and Bedford's appeal would have been dismissed.
You're welcome. All we want in return is whoever's responsible for your social media channel for a few weeks intensive training

Appeal Board Reason for Bedford's successful appeal decision:

The matter we raised with council for Bedford at the beginning of his address was the impact of law 18.7 of the laws of Australian Football.

(Law) 18.7.1, 'spirit and intention', reads as follows. "Players should be protected from unreasonable conduct from an opposition player, which is likely to cause injury."

Now what is plain that follows from the proper construction of that law is that there are two elements to the offence of rough conduct.

First, there's got to be unreasonable conduct, and secondly, the conduct must be likely to cause injury.

We accept that the Tribunal below found unreasonable conduct, however it made no finding about whether or not the conduct of Bedford was likely to cause injury.

There's nothing in the reasons of the Tribunal that indicate any consideration that second element of the offence of rough conduct, nor is there anything in the transcript dealing with the evidence or submissions of counsel.

In our previous case, we upheld the appeal of the player because there was no consideration of the second element, being was the conduct likely to cause injury.

Similarly, in this case, we uphold the appeal on the ground that there was an error of law that had a material impact upon the outcome in the tribunal below. That error of law being a failure to take into account second element of the charge of rough conduct set out in law 18.7.1.

We must say that in coming to that view, we've also looked closely at the video of the incident to see whether any inference could be drawn about whether or not conduct of the player was likely to cause injury. We have to say that we were unable come to a view that that inference ought to be drawn.

There's simply not a conduct there that would enable the Appeal Board to somehow substitute its own decision instead of the failure by the Tribunal below to come to its decision accordingly.

For those reasons, the appeal will be allowed and the order of the Appeal Board is that the charge brought against the player Bedford is dismissed.

Personal opinion, all costs should be reimbursed or cap increased upon successful appeals such as this.

Clubs cap should not be under pressure or clubs disadvantaged for future appeals as a result.
I thought it did?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it did?

My apologies, you are correct. When I did a google search I couldn't find confirmation. 🤦‍♂️

Decided to look up the tribunal guidelines instead - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...509b31d77ed8/2024-AFL-Tribunal-Guidelines.pdf

The cost of an appeal will be $10,000, with the full appeal and tribunal fee refundable in the event of a successful appeal. In the event of an unsuccessful appeal, an amount of $5,000 will be considered Football Department Expenditure (i.e. included in the “soft cap”) for the purpose of Rule 50 of the AFL Rules.

So now that Bedford has been freed, who do we think he goes to?

Suns have 3 prolific mids in Anderson, Flanders and Rowell. Who do we lock down?

XOH is in! Cogs is out.

IN - Xavier O'Halloran
OUT - Stephen Coniglio (Injured)

Milestones - Brent Daniels (100th game)

Backs - 39 Connor Idun, 44 Jack Buckley, 36 - Harry Perryman
Half Backs - 6 Lachie Whitfield, 27 Harry Himmelberg, 7 Lachie Ash
Centre - 8 Callan Ward, 12 Tom Green, 13 Isaac Cumming
Half Forwards - 16 Brent Daniels, 26 Jake Riccardi, 31Toby McMullin
Forwards - 4 Toby Greene, 23 Jesse Hogan, 2 Darcy Jones
Followers - 32 Kieren Briggs, 17 Finn Callaghan, 20 James Peatling
Interchange - 14 Toby Bedford, 5 Aaron Cadman, 28 Harvey Thomas, 33 Xavier O'Halloran, 37 Joe Fonti
Emergencies - 18 Conor Stone, 25 Lachlan Keeffe, 9 Ryan Angwin
Really not happy happy with Aleer
I would have snooze go to Anderson

Green to go head to head with Rowell

Callaghan to Flanders
Miller if he was playing but Anderson this weekend.

Excuse for intrusion but well done for Toby Bedford. The AFL got hammered tonight. Got what they deserved after these ludicrous suspensions.

Add dissolving the MRO to the long list in the to-do list for the AFL.

Needs to be totally revamped and renamed.

Michael Christian should be typing up his resignation and getting his resume in order.
What he need a resume for? He can have any job at Collingwood he so wishes.

Strange situation we find ourselves in. We are in the 8 (although it doesn’t feel like it) and are expected to win at home

But….

We look too short in the backline. We also look like we are lacking depth and class in the mids.

Pessimist me has us behind the 8ball before we start with the team selected. Optimist me says it won’t matter as team pressure in all three sections of the ground will win more games than individuals will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back