Prediction Round 19, 2024: Changes vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I expect Culley to play more forward tbh, maybe a fwd/mid split. I dont think he's coming in to do Yeos role.

Chesser can't stay on a wing forever, not like he has been. He was very good in the first half before getting injured last week as an inside player too
Playing as an inside mid is just easier than playing on the wing. Chesser already showed last year he looks good as an inside mid in the wafl.

Culley will never make it as a forward so not sure why we would bother playing him there.

I’m guessing it’s to retain some experience and not overload the side with kids. As is, it’s the youngest side we’ve fielded this year

Reid, Chesser, Culley, Hough, Ginbey, Williams and Maric were all under 20 to start the year

Another 7 in the side who were under 24 - Allen, Petruccelle, Edwards, Williams, Hutchinson, Trew and Edwards

So 14 under 24 which is a season high

And only 2 of our 6 over 30 - Kelly and Cripps

Not necessarily agreeing with the decision but I think that’s probably the reasoning for it

Hall, Burgiel, Dewar, Johnston and Reid all have to wait another week at least to get their chance
Kelly still 29 for another week but yes it is still very young

Our average games experience is 71.3 which is 18th for this round according to footywire
You're spot on.

And for comparison, our average experince for the year has been 96.9 games. To be at 71.3, we are down 26% for experience.

For age, we have averaged 25.5 for the year and down to 24.5 (-4%).

I am quite excited by this game, hopefully we put up a fight.

1721296608203.png

Last edited:
To me it looks like

Petch for Brockman (as sub)
Chesser for Duggan
Culley for Yeo
Rotham for Waterman

Rotham to backup ruck and let JWilliams spend the whole game fwd

We'll see I guess

Don't really rate the team selection.

Culley for Yeo = Good choice, loss of pace but a mid for a mid and will give Culley more time in the guts.

Petruccelle for Brockman = Would have preferred Dewar come in if there was only one forward spot opened up.

Chesser for Duggan = No issues, the most like for like there was I'd say if Hunt is playing back instead of Duggan.

Rotham for ... Jake? = Would have preferred to see Darling.

Obviously these aren't straight up swaps but I dislike the inclusion of Rotham in particular but also Petruccelle straight off the hamstring.

I feel like Darling up forward would have been a good one week replacement to maintain a similar structure to last week.

Ideally wanted to see Dewar or Buergeil in the team somehow.

Surprised Jones survived, not sure how. Perhaps he had a job on someone last week that he did well but I thought he would get dropped for sure (this could have put Dewar into the team as well).

Anyway, hope they do well but was a surprising selection to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing as an inside mid is just easier than playing on the wing. Chesser already showed last year he looks good as an inside mid in the wafl.

Culley will never make it as a forward so not sure why we would bother playing him there.
Chesser hasnt had the opportunity to ever play as an inside mid in the AFL.
Chesser hasnt shown much at all on a wing, why not put the higher ceiling prospect in a role that might allow him to flourish?

If Culley gets a go as a 3rd/4th tall with rotations into the midfield to make space for Trew and Chesser, I dont see a problem with it

Chesser hasnt had the opportunity to ever play as an inside mid in the AFL.
Chesser hasnt shown much at all on a wing, why not put the higher ceiling prospect in a role that might allow him to flourish?

If Culley gets a go as a 3rd/4th tall with rotations into the midfield to make space for Trew and Chesser, I dont see a problem with it
I dont disagree that Chesser development should be prioritised. However Chesser has a much higher chance of making it as a wing than culley does up forward.

Culley shouldn’t be in the team if he is playing 80% of the time up forward. Guys like dewar / Burgiel should be picked if that’s the role they want.

Culley also has been the better inside mid at wafl level therefore should get the spot in the senior side.

You're spot on.

And for comparison, our average experince for the year has been 96.9 games. To be at 71.3, we are down 26% for experience.

For age, we have averaged 25.5 for the year and down to 24.5 (-4%).

I am quite excited by this game, hopefully we put up a fight.

View attachment 2051569
I don't think average height 182.0cm is correct!

I dont disagree that Chesser development should be prioritised. However Chesser has a much higher chance of making it as a wing than culley does up forward.

Culley shouldn’t be in the team if he is playing 80% of the time up forward. Guys like dewar / Burgiel should be picked if that’s the role they want.

Culley also has been the better inside mid at wafl level therefore should get the spot in the senior side.
If the club is serious and puts Chessers development ahead of Culleys, then Chesser gets to play his preferred role, whatever that might be. If Culley wants game time he gets what he gets, he has to fit around the guys who are first up.

Reid gets to play nearly full time mid every week over Culley, even though Reid is more likely to make it as a forward than Culley is.

Culleys best game at AFL level was as a forward too

Not picking darling is a significant call.

To think we were playing darling with waterman 2 weeks ago and now schofield doesn't even want him when watermans out. He clearly wasn't a fan of the land of the giants selection policy we were running.

Darlings future likely won't be Schofield's decision to make at the end of the year, but if it's a signal of the intentions of the club, could be the end of Jack.

If the club is serious and puts Chessers development ahead of Culleys, then Chesser gets to play his preferred role, whatever that might be. If Culley wants game time he gets what he gets, he has to fit around the guys who are first up.

Reid gets to play nearly full time mid every week over Culley, even though Reid is more likely to make it as a forward than Culley is.

Culleys best game at AFL level was as a forward too
But Culley is outperforming Chesser as an inside mid in the WAFL. We have to reward WAFL form over potential. If chesser actually does have more potential than culley as an inside mid it will show in the WAFL.

Culley is not making it as a forward at AFL level. One good game doesnt change that. His only hope is as an inside mid (which is what he plays in the wafl). Picking players to play out of position in the AFL is so illogical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back