Preview Round 19 - Essendon VS Adelaide, Marvel, Friday 19/7/24, 7:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double ruck is okay when wright isn’t also in the side
The only caveat I'd add is that as long as Jones continues his role up the ground. If we drop Wright, plonk Jones in the 50 and double ruck then I'm not as happy with it.

Wright hasn't been the same since his suspension against Sydney, needs to get his confidence back in the VFL

Dude he's been a big POS for like a month
Kicked 2 goals 3 games in a row during that time. The only other player to kick multiple goals in 3 games in the last month is Langford.

Dude he's been a big POS for like a month
So have plenty of others, playing arguably easier roles that we actually have depth in those spots. I’ll defend Wright because we don’t seem to play to his advantage enough and kick it to him on the lead enough. If that’s a wright issue and his work rate is down then I hope he works on that at vfl level.

Wright's issue hasn't just been goals though, it's been a mixture of intensity and second efforts. Our game is built on causing contests/being defensive at every opportunity and backing your teammates up. When Wright doesn't get the mark or goal, he doesn't bring it to ground to advantage and lags behind his opponents. He's been a liability, especially defensively. His omission is justified.

Hind out for Menzie!?

Heppell ACTUALLY dropped!

Well, that's a mix for me but like others, I am surprised Hobbs isn't in considering he was rested after 3 quarters.

I hope Perkins is the sub.

Wright's issue hasn't just been goals though, it's been a mixture of intensity and second efforts. Our game is built on causing contests/being defensive at every opportunity and backing your teammates up. When Wright doesn't get the mark or goal, he doesn't bring it to ground to advantage and lags behind his opponents. He's been a liability, especially defensively. His omission is justified.
Whilst I 100% with that I also note he's taken more contested marks then any other forward in the past month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dumb as dogshit, Wright should not have played last week, Langford should not be picked this week.
But on the positive, the other dumb as dogshit reactional overrated coach drops Walker, so far nil all draw.

Wright has been pretty average in the ruck. Can not play all 3 .

Most good teams play 3 front half talls

Last years grand finalists were Cameron, Cox, Frampton (Mcstay if healthy)

Vs Big O, Hipwood and Daniher

GWS with Briggs/Hogan/Cadman

Swans: Grundy, McDonald, Amarty

Freo, Adelaide, Port, Geelong, Dogs

Melbourne is frantically trying to find a 3rd tall to pair with Gawn and Van Ruyen

What The good teams listed above have in common is that their smalls actually pressure where we pick slow mediums as smalls so when our terrible entries go to ground we don’t have the ability to defend

Melbourne is frantically trying to find a 3rd tall to pair with Gawn and Van Ruyen

What The good teams listed above have in common is that their smalls actually pressure where we pick slow mediums as smalls so when our terrible entries go to ground we don’t have the ability to defend
Gawn goes down, Melb. stuffed.
Grundy goes down, Sydney stuffed.
Griggs goes down, GWS stuffed.
ESS. for once we have class back ups.
Agree, all we are lacking is a classy small forward and a good coach.

And what's he done with what? Taking contested marks as a 2m+ player shouldn't even be a noticeable accolade, it should be a given. Especially from a player at his stage of his career.
I agree.

Edit: But my point is he's still been doing it better than anyone else. So we'll still need someone to step up. Hope it's Caddy.

Last edited:
all we are lacking is a classy small forward and a good coach.

We are lacking a reliable/consistent KPF, an extra speedy HB (with ideally Martin more wing/forward) and a proper ruckman.

And how are you making a call on our coach who's 16 months into a 4 year tenure? Carn mate.

Wright is Shane Watson.

is actually really productive but when things go wrong gets blamed because with his ability you think he should be better.

Meanwhile others who aren’t producing much of anything get much more rope
Watson had masses of natural talent

And he averaged low 30s opening the batting for 3 years

While occasionally savaging a weak opponent

Good comparison

Watson had masses of natural talent

And he averaged low 30s opening the batting for 3 years

While occasionally savaging a weak opponent

Good comparison
Watto averaged roughly 42 coming in at #1.

He's been retired a decade and he's still talked down. :(

Have I missed something here?
We would have gone with Draper, Caddy and Wright.
Instead we're going with Draper, Caddy and Goldstein.
We will have three front half talls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back