Preview Round 19 - Essendon VS Adelaide, Marvel, Friday 19/7/24, 7:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mind the changes. Hobbs has been below average in the 2s prior to last week so hardly beating down the door. We have half a dozen out of form they can't all be replaced and if they are young it's ok to keep playing them (Perkins, Cox). In saying that I'd have kept Hind in over both.

It's tricky with Draper, ideally they dropped him and played Goldy for his tap work last week, would have helped us win but slowed development especially considering he's still coming back from long lay off (25 is still very young for a ruck too). At this stage playing two ruck is kinda the only option and can always sub one in the 3rd.

I'm hoping it's mostly just Caddy, Langford, Stringer forward with a ruck in the bench. Stringers delivery into f50 was horrendous, better just forward. Draper's marking and second efforts look far superior to 2mp who does very little 95% of the game so glad they made the call there if they do play him forward.

Lav - Hepp is obvious. Glad Menzies is still being developed. Nobody else really seems to have earned a spot even it would be nice to give them a run.

In regards to the coach I thought he did excellent against the Pies but terrible last week so staying on the fence. Still would have preferred Hird but hey.

Wright is Shane Watson.

is actually really productive but when things go wrong gets blamed because with his ability you think he should be better.

Meanwhile others who aren’t producing much of anything get much

Most good teams play 3 front half talls

Last years grand finalists were Cameron, Cox, Frampton (Mcstay if healthy)

Vs Big O, Hipwood and Daniher

GWS with Briggs/Hogan/Cadman

Swans: Grundy, McDonald, Amarty

Freo, Adelaide, Port, Geelong, Dogs

Melbourne is frantically trying to find a 3rd tall to pair with Gawn and Van Ruyen

What The good teams listed above have in common is that their smalls actually pressure where we pick slow mediums as smalls so when our terrible entries go to ground we don’t have the ability to defend
Think we have been down this road. You rate Wright. I think he has been average. Not much more to say.

Would have preferred roberts or davey to menzie and byran to goldy if playing 2 rucks. Hobbs also deserves a game over perkins.

Needed to win 1 of Melbourne, Geelong to show we are a chance of winning a final and we were spanked in both.

So now fear scrapping into the finals and missing the opportunity to develop more players.

Oh well hopefully can get on a roll over the next 3 weeks and prove me wrong.

I like the heppel for laverde change as didnt think club would have the guts to do it. Also hope heppel earns a spot back in if we play finals.

As pressure on Cox, caddy, perkins and even stringer to show a bit in the next two weeks.

My rating of Wright has made him my most likely to be traded in the offseason.

Which is why I think it’s insane to wreck his trade value by dropping him especially when the stats bear out that he’s been capable and moderately productive with minimal help.

Then again the saying “you are who you think you are” is usually always true. Brad Scott thought this was a bad team at the start of the season and in many ways has gone out of his way to prove it

Just feels really wasteful

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ADELAIDE OUTS:
Worrell, Jones, Borlase, Walker, Rankine, Hamill, McHenry, Gollant
ADELAIDE INS: Himmelberg, Thilthorpe, Murphy, Dowling, Murray, Butts, Taylor, Bond

ESSENDON OUTS: Parish, Hobbs, Heppell, Hind, Davey, Tsatas
ESSENDON INS: Ridley, Shiel, Guelfi, Caddy, Perkins, Menzie

I’m really just jousting

I always had a soft spot for Watto and he had a solid career

Just don’t think he lived up to his promise, and couldn’t overcome a couple of technical flaws.

He did only average 35 with the bat across his career
Largely caused by our determination to fling him around the order.

His numbers stack up favourably to nearly all A/R from his era. Very similar to Flintoff for example.

I will die on this hill.

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ADELAIDE OUTS:
Worrell, Jones, Borlase, Walker, Rankine, Hamill, McHenry, Gollant
ADELAIDE INS: Himmelberg, Thilthorpe, Murphy, Dowling, Murray, Butts, Taylor, Bond

ESSENDON OUTS: Parish, Hobbs, Heppell, Hind, Davey, Tsatas
ESSENDON INS: Ridley, Shiel, Guelfi, Caddy, Perkins, Menzie
On paper looks a slight improvement, but form makes that irrelevant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much for 5+

In general I don’t get the Warner hate. Sure he’s a bit of a douche with a chip on his shoulder but he’s stood up when the chips are down and improved a lot technically over his career which I respect.
He's a good cricketer but a bit of a douche is underselling it. He's a complete ****wit.

Surprised how negative some of you are. I think we'll win comfortably, and I don't say that very often. Just omitting Heppell, finally, is a step forward in my opinion.
I'd like to see Hobbs in, but appears he's only really played one standout game in the VFL?
Have a soft spot for Menzie, so hope he can make an impact tonight.
I'm tipping we put it together tonight and win by 37.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back