Prediction Round 19 team selection v Pussy Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Garcia or his manager must have told us that he's gone at the end of the year, sure he killed us in the first half but he was the difference maker in the second and picking up 34 touches, 17 tackles and 2 goals is a huge return that needs to be rewarded.
Doubt it.

Everyone kept saying this about Busslinger as well. Bet he stays

Garcia or his manager must have told us that he's gone at the end of the year, sure he killed us in the first half but he was the difference maker in the second and picking up 34 touches, 17 tackles and 2 goals is a huge return that needs to be rewarded.
People including me said the same about Busslinger.

I think this board greatly overrates Garcia his place on the list and the interest that he has from outside the club.

Tough week to crack a spot. Imagine when we have our inevitable crap week, Garcia will be first in line given he was close last week & had a great game in the VFL.

I don't like this team at all. Should have given Treloar a week with his history.
I mean this team is undoubtedly better than the side that just knocked off second last week.

Other than no Garcia, what could possibly be complained about from our available list?

Not great reading from a statistical perspective for Gallagher, and, personally, the eye test didn't seem to mitigate it. What are we missing?

Is there a defensive aspect that isn't readily apparent. Tackle, effective tackle, pressure acts and 1%ers stats and ratings within the 110?
15 shots on goal (Rank 13th) at a slightly above league average accuracy (8 goals but few set shots 20m out or whatever).

Rank 81st for average pressure acts, but the lowest ranked are also outside winger

Rank 44 for metres gained per disposal - not elite but above average. Don't have the stats but I'd probably say thag a fair chunk of it is carrying the ball as opposed via disposal, given his uh woeful clanger disposal rates.

Signs are absolutely there in terms of attributes with speed, ability to work hard with pressure acts and visually he seems to understand what his job is and coaching direction/positioning with minima mental lapses etc. (aside from the fact that he's not necessarily finding ways to actually concentrate to win alot of the ball).

Additionally, Bevo's style of coaching is to seem to accept/coach a winger to not actually win a heap of the ball and it's not unusual for a player to keep his place in the team with sub-10/15 disposal games in the wing, like a lot of Lachie McNeil and Roarke Smith games - undoubtedly his stats are diminished to play a team role (which doesn't fully attribute the literal last rank to be fair) that has also hindered these other players. Keep in mind that on balance we have always squeezed a inside mid in the forward 50 in the Bevo era (and now are doing it with Sanders/Macrae) so a winger is going to be less inclined/tasked to sucked in and hunt the ball than other wingers at other clubs (even accounting for the fact that most wingers don't anyway).

Attributes are there but the ability to win and use the ball at AFL level on proven output is undoubtedly costing the team and those players typically work on their development to win and find the ball in the reserves, so for a team that isn't bottom 4 or anything, I just find it strange that we've carried his for for develoent purposes in a still finals contending team - and I want to be absolutely clear I'm not writing him off as a player, or that by definition there has to a last-ranked midfielder somewhere at some club just that his form is normally seen in the reserves, not AFL, among all clubs.

FWIW all the other players with sub-6/sub-7/sub-8 player ratings points averages is a myriad of players who play for bottom teams, or have been dropped or made sub numerous times, or have recovered from individually woeful games with some outstanding ones, or some combination of the 3. Gallagher has none yet has played a vast majority of our entire AFL season's minutes on the field. I find it more strange and unusual than genuinely upsetting.

15 shots on goal (Rank 13th) at a slightly above league average accuracy (8 goals but few set shots 20m out or whatever).

Rank 81st for average pressure acts, but the lowest ranked are also outside winger

Rank 44 for metres gained per disposal - not elite but above average. Don't have the stats but I'd probably say thag a fair chunk of it is carrying the ball as opposed via disposal, given his uh woeful clanger disposal rates.

Signs are absolutely there in terms of attributes with speed, ability to work hard with pressure acts and visually he seems to understand what his job is and coaching direction/positioning with minima mental lapses etc. (aside from the fact that he's not necessarily finding ways to actually concentrate to win alot of the ball).

Additionally, Bevo's style of coaching is to seem to accept/coach a winger to not actually win a heap of the ball and it's not unusual for a player to keep his place in the team with sub-10/15 disposal games in the wing, like a lot of Lachie McNeil and Roarke Smith games - undoubtedly his stats are diminished to play a team role (which doesn't fully attribute the literal last rank to be fair) that has also hindered these other players. Keep in mind that on balance we have always squeezed a inside mid in the forward 50 in the Bevo era (and now are doing it with Sanders/Macrae) so a winger is going to be less inclined/tasked to sucked in and hunt the ball than other wingers at other clubs (even accounting for the fact that most wingers don't anyway).

Attributes are there but the ability to win and use the ball at AFL level on proven output is undoubtedly costing the team and those players typically work on their development to win and find the ball in the reserves, so for a team that isn't bottom 4 or anything, I just find it strange that we've carried his for for develoent purposes in a still finals contending team - and I want to be absolutely clear I'm not writing him off as a player, or that by definition there has to a last-ranked midfielder somewhere at some club just that his form is normally seen in the reserves, not AFL, among all clubs.

FWIW all the other players with sub-6/sub-7/sub-8 player ratings points averages is a myriad of players who play for bottom teams, or have been dropped or made sub numerous times, or have recovered from individually woeful games with some outstanding ones, or some combination of the 3. Gallagher has none yet has played a vast majority of our entire AFL season's minutes on the field. I find it more strange and unusual than genuinely upsetting.
I agree that I haven't found his continued selection genuinely upsetting, more curious. Having said that, he couldn't have been selected on last weeks game and was the obvious omission.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I'm just trying to nail down what it has been that has seen him continually selected to this point. Defensive work, injuries to others, speed, unrewarded leading and option presenting, all the previous or some combination thereof. It couldn't have been ball use and cleanliness (in a footballing sense).

And of course, we can't entirely discount the possibility that he had uncompromising photos of Bevo and/or enjoys surfing.

Last edited:
If I was a Geelong fan I’d be pretty annoyed not playing Stanley. He dominates every game against us and frees up SDK for Naughton or Darcy, whereas I feel English will go ok against SDK.
They are notorious for making late changes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt it.

Everyone kept saying this about Busslinger as well. Bet he stays
Everyone kept saying it about West last year as well, and also Sanders when he had to go back to the VFL this year.
Macrae had an interrupted pre season, people start saying he's going to sook it up and leave.

The club does communicate with the players, and the majority wouldn't be a bunch of sooks.

Everyone kept saying it about West last year as well, and also Sanders when he had to go back to the VFL this year.
Macrae had an interrupted pre season, people start saying he's going to sook it up and leave.

The club does communicate with the players, and the majority wouldn't be a bunch of sooks.
This we actually agree on

Some fair points, the wing is a tricky role. A good defensive winger shuts down space and causes the opposition to avoid it which subsequently hurts individual stats. Vandermeer suffers the same imo.

Pretty happy with selection this week. Treloar and Naughton were the obvious no-brainers.

Gallagher as of right now is an average journeyman(Not mad about his omission in the slightest).

It seems the club agrees that the time for minor tinkering with the squad is nearing it's end. We should know our best 22 this year now.

The Garcia decision is the only real head scratcher. Even if you take away his previous unreal VFL performance, potentially heightened because he never got on the ground against Carlton. His fast first step can be so lethal.

EDIT: Just taken a look at Garcia's VFL stats and remembered he hasn't played a senior game since the Lions debacle. And my mind has flipped from kinda annoyed to really pissed. 17 tackles Bevo? You gotta award that sort of defensive pressure.

Last edited:
One would hope we change our startegy for Cameron this weekend.

Gather round he had 27 disposals. 21 kicks. He's next highest tally of disposals this year has been 21.

So the strategy of him going right up the ground and heading back towards goal with no one paying him any attention will hopefully be scraped.

One would hope we change our startegy for Cameron this weekend.

Gather round he had 27 disposals. 21 kicks. He's next highest tally of disposals this year has been 21.

So the strategy of him going right up the ground and heading back towards goal with no one paying him any attention will hopefully be scraped.
I don’t mind Naughton going to him, and if Cameron takes him up the ground Naughton can roll the dice from time to time and stream forward (provided it’s not just a simple hand-off to a free Tom Stewart).

I think Red is another option who can go with him all over the ground. He’d be giving up 8cm but Cameron doesn’t really hurt with his overhead marking, and forces Cameron to be accountable the other way. Robbie Fox is 3cm shorter than Ed but did a great job on Cameron in the 2022 GF (Cameron padded his stats in the 4th including his silly beer can celebration but was well beaten that day).

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 19 team selection v Pussy Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back