Autopsy Round 2, 2022: Hawks disconnect the power

Remove this Banner Ad

What a game I really enjoyed watching them just having an absolute crack and being rewarded.
Gonna be hard to back up that physicality but loving the spread in the midfield at the moment. I don’t think putting the clamp on one particular person would’ve done much tonight whereas years prior sometimes one of Jaegar/Mitchell being tagged spelled danger for us.

Also prop to Maginness I am fairly sure he was locking down Motlop majority of the night and spent time on SPP after his little patch in the 3rd also and seemed to go well.

Lastly cheers to the Adelaide hawks supporters and the ones travelling for getting out there was actually a bit of noise coming from us particularly when Ward slotted that goal on the run.

Genuinely unreal, Titch was doing well in the clearances and played a pretty good game, obviously not dominant best yet.

Worpel came back beautifully, showing real toe which is much improved, fend is working alot more just damaging asf.

Jaeger stood up, Jai was his hardnosed self, thing from this year to last is a pre season and he's gut running already, his pace is super too and his kicking is good, doesn't have many holes.

So many good, just a team game, ML was dominant up forward well deserved 5, Gunston, Breust. Class. Wingard went off early but he kicked 2 and looked good, hopefully it's not too bad and he's back in a week or two.

Wardy and CMac, class, composure, toughness, gut running it's unreal. Ward in particular, some of the things he did.. Wow.

Down back Sic was elite again, Scrimmer is just ultra consistent deadset elite talent, DGB was unreal tonight, Frost was superb again Dimma just phenomenal.

Everyone was great really.
-

I’m still in shock this morning. That was the best performance we’ve put in since 2015 for mine.

Ward and CMac are going to be something special. Scrim and Morrison are becoming stars before our years. Reeves was excellent and Mitch Lewis is looking like a genuine quality key forward. Nash and Newk have added another dimension to the midfield. Denver played his best game also. Moore is playing AA level right now.

Great games from the leaders as well. Big Boy, Dimma, Mitch, Jaeger, Gunner, Frost and Sicily were huge.

Worpel looked like a different player tonight. Fast and skilful.

Important to keep the lid on expectations but it’s nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Couldn’t sleep. Remembered I hadn’t checked BF. Nice.
Thought we were a sneaky but couldn’t of predicted that. Highlight for me was the ability to counterpunch so effectively.
A couple of times Port put the acid on and the Hawks wobbled slightly and then they would produce an end to end play resulting in a goal and suck the air out of Port and their crowd. Great stuff.

Special mention to Hardwick. What a star small backman we have here. A classic Hawk style defender. Just so tough, reliable and never beaten. Others are rightly getting their time in the spotlight but Hardwick just turns up week in week out. Has done for years now. Deserves that No.15. I guess that in itself is high praise.

For anyone who missed it because Fox Sports sucks - absolute pleasure to listen to this man talk about footy

Was disappointing after such a great win to hear individual players names constantly mentioned.
Hopefully the club engages media training asap to rectify this flaw in his press conferences .
😃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waking up after THAT WIN.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Darcy and Richo are both far better in BT’s absence than they are when they join in with his dickheadedness. Bennett and Darcy called a game recently that was really well done.

Richo seems like a rippa bloke and isn't annoying per se... but he is just a walking rip off of every footy cliche he's ever heard. Really gives no insight.

Such an enjoyable game to watch. The backs were awesome, I was wondering whether we were going to have too many intercepting defenders at the start of the season with Sicily coming back along side Scrim, CJ and DGB but they are making it work beautifully and are such an offensive weapon even without Day.

Love the work of the young guys - the composure and confidence of New, Ward, MacDonald defies their years. I sense that Sam is a great leader who knows how to empower people. Connor Nash and Morrison are playing with a lot of self belief and playing to their strengths.

Our list build has been intriguing. I think the disruption of Covid has allowed the recruiters to pick some gems - Newc, Bramble, MacDonald and probably Long for way unders. This has thrown the experts like Kingy and Kane as they think because we didn’t have a lot of top 10 picks we had no talent and no future.

Loving Mitch Lewis, so great to have a power forward again. Loving the work rate off Moore.

What is with this fast and low kicks into a leading forward? Who would have thought that would work.

Sam in the press conference highlighted our centre clearances as where we still have issues. This will be an interesting watch. You would think that having midfielders who are a Brownlow medalist and a mini draft pick 1 would be a good start but it doesn’t seem so. I see a real future though in Reeves, Newc, Ward and Nash in the middle and that will take some time but the journey is just as good as the destination. Go Hawks!

Could this have been the turning point?

I'm sure there are some ups and downs to come, but the side looks balanced in terms of running power, ball winning, forward marking power, and an incredibly slick rebounding back 50.

The number of contests guys won when the ball was in dispute really stood out too.

It's easier to look incredible when you have a win like this, but it didn't let up, and it's the injection of young talent that's driving things for the first time in a long time.

The rebuild seems to have started with our back end, and now our midfield and forwards are showing signs too.

So refreshing seeing us play with an attacking mindset. The new style must be completely liberating for the players.
This can't be underplayed.

Last couple of years I really think the players suffered mentally from playing Clarko's ultra defensive style of footy.

Also a reason why Ross Lyon never lasted at a club for too long. Not being given the opportunity to showcase your skills and why you were drafted in the first place must be so disheartening for a player.

Thank you to the Board and Jeff for being bold ...backing yourself. Copped it from all angles. Yes we are paying 900k ....but seeing all the responses here tonight and seeing happy faces on players and coaching staff......it's been worth it. Watching Sam coach in the box the past few games he was meant to coach without doubt. I have watched C J hug Sam bout 3 times now ..it says slot about what the players are feeling and thinking.

I understand the anomaly of losing most stat categories and winning by so much, but I'm shocked at the clearance differential.

Lost by 25? It absolutely didn't feel that way. Felt like we were on top out of the centre and away from stoppages if i'm being honest.

I guess it just proves again how talented our defensive end is.

Richo seems like a rippa bloke and isn't annoying per se... but he is just a walking rip off of every footy cliche he's ever heard. Really gives no insight.
He's fine imo, he gets frustrating sometimes but boy was it fun to hear the jealousy in his voice with some of the delivery our forwards were getting in that game. He was great at pointing out what great kicking I50 we were executing. Bet he was thinking "if I'd got half of that I'd have kicked 1000 too" - Richo had a fantastic career for a bloke who never had decent delivery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2, 2022: Hawks disconnect the power

Remove this Banner Ad

Back