Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As unpopular as it is injury aside I would go in unchanged .
Give the preffered team at least few games
Actually agree with that although Nash to start and maybe Bramble as sub

If it is as bad again as it was today then many changes may be needed for the North game

I'm willing to be lenient on Meek considering it's his first game for Hawthorn and needs to learn the gameplan and familiarity with the midfield group..

Reeves has been in the system a fair while now. If he's not marking the ball, kicking goals or assisting around the ground, what is he bringing?

The forward line looks to be a real issue at the moment.

Is it time to consider moving Sic up forward again?

Also, Hardwick up forward provided a few of the highlights of that last quarter. Perhaps he should start up forward over the next few weeks?

I actually think playing Sydney is the ideal follow up to today's lackluster showing. We know the style of game they'll play and the metrics they value.
I feel like Mitchell might strip it all back to contest work and focussing on a better connection with our forwards, I doubt the relentless chipping and switching of play (after quarter time) was by instruction.
Strangely they're a far better side away from home these days so I think we can give them a game for 2 or 3 quarters

I'm interested to know what you think Reeves brings to the table over Meek?

For me mate, it’s first hands to the ball and hit-outs to advantage.
We had 10 more hit-outs today and Noddles were more effective than Meeks.
I have only watched Meek at WAFL level, he was dominant but slow, a good set shot, however, it’s a less intense competition. Rucks in WAFL for mine are Ammo’s, in fact there are some better rucks in Ammo’s and country here, more dollars $$$$

Edit: What happened to our rucks changing forward?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
For me mate, it’s first hands to the ball and hit-outs to advantage.
We had 10 more hit-outs today and Noddles were more effective than Meeks.
I have only watched Meek at WAFL level, he was dominant but slow, a good set shot, however, it’s a less intense competition. Rucks in WAFL for mine are Ammo’s, in fact there are some better rucks in Ammo’s and country here.

Reeves is also still in that awkward stage that a lot of tall kids go through in their early 20s, where he still hasn't grown into his body yet.

Big, gangly frame with little bulk.

He is likely to bulk out a bit more over the next year or two, and his physical presence in contests will improve accordingly.

Just give the boy time.

Just whilst we are on rucks... I watched them closely after HT. Many times I saw them standing still at HF with space in front putting a half arsed arm up in the air. Neither were presenting or demanding the ball up the line so we had to switch which ended up going knowhere.

it frustrated me no end.

Ned has got to show some intent around the ground.

just watched the second qtr back. forward entry after entry slaughtered.

Can’t remember who was having a kick for goal but BOTH Reeves and Meek were in the square at one stage

Could clearly hear Chadwick telling Meek to clear the F out

I'm willing to be lenient on Meek considering it's his first game for Hawthorn and needs to learn the gameplan and familiarity with the midfield group..

Reeves has been in the system a fair while now. If he's not marking the ball, kicking goals or assisting around the ground, what is he bringing?
Clear taps to advantage.

We won the hit outs, and broke even at the centre clearances, despite our mids fumbling quite a few.

That’s only the 3 time we’ve done so in the last 10 matches, and to do it with Ward, MacKenzie and Day in their is a positive for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t complain if we went in unchanged. Have Mitchell back the boys in to perform better.

Saying that I reckon Nash starts after he was a strong performer and Morrison will most likely play as long as he is all good to go.

Would like to see at least 2 of Worps, Jai and Nash at each stoppage and centre bounce. Just to provide some physicality around the ball. Going to need to win a lot of contests to be in this game. Swans will destroy us otherwise.

Reeves is also still in that awkward stage that a lot of tall kids go through in their early 20s, where he still hasn't grown into his body yet.

Big, gangly frame with little bulk.

He is likely to bulk out a bit more over the next year or two, and his physical presence in contests will improve accordingly.

Just give the boy time.

Reeves is now 24. Right now he's at the level of the likes of Phillips and Fort, the dedicated backup or relief ruckmen.

Honest question, who is the last purely tap-only ruckman to become a quality AFL player?

All the best rucks over the years offer much more than simply winning hitouts.

Both ROB and Witts have been mentioned as similar kinds of ruckmen. Though at the same age, here is what they were up to:

ROB - 13.7 touches, 3.8 marks, 4 tackles, 27.2 HO's
Witts - 13.3 touches, 2.6 marks, 3.6 tackles, 37.9 HO's

Granted Reeves has the season to play out, but I just cannot see him somehow doubling his touches, laying tackles and marking the ball more around the ground.

I think maybe McInerney is a decent comparison at the same age. He's a solid ruck now, but he's hardly a world beater.

On the plus side, if he does improve in all those other areas over the next two seasons we'd still likely have 5/6 years of good football left.

I was a bit surprised at how easily we broke down at half forward. Particularly in the second. I thought that was one of our most experienced areas with Chad, Moore, Punky and others rotating through.

I think it’s a game plan/familiarity thing. It’s going to need time. Particularly without Lewis. Lunch/Ramsden/Reeves/Meek are not going to be the answer to our forward problems this year. We need Kozi to hit form, Ferg to just keep building and then Wingard, Breust etc. to be consistently dangerous.

The forward line looks to be a real issue at the moment.

Is it time to consider moving Sic up forward again?

Also, Hardwick up forward provided a few of the highlights of that last quarter. Perhaps he should start up forward over the next few weeks?
No to Sic.

Maybe for Hardwick, he seemed comfortable in the forward half. Even moreso for Hardwick if he brings the real pressure forward game. We've not really seen him do that, so maybe something to look at. Butler / Brockman likely better suited

Clear taps to advantage.

We won the hit outs, and broke even at the centre clearances, despite our mids fumbling quite a few.

That’s only the 3 time we’ve done so in the last 10 matches, and to do it with Ward, MacKenzie and Day in their is a positive for the future.

30 HO vs 20 HO, 50 for the game which is as many as Witts HO.
The only advantage we had was when Noodles hit the ball because of his height and Draper kicked two goals.

Where were our rucks forward?

In: DBG, Scrimshaw, Brockman
Out: Nash, Bramble, Wingard (rested)

We need a solid block with our Rucks and Mids working together to form a bond.
We need more outlets up forward. Hardwick going up there seemed promising not that you can tell a lot from junk time but he's out of form badly so it wouldn't hurt.
Dbg allows us to throw some key pieces around if Kosi up forward isn't working, the smaller forward line didn't only not work it made us significantly worse.

30 HO vs 20 HO, 50 for the game which is as many as Witts HO.
The only advantage we had was when Noodles hit the ball because of his height and Draper kicked two goals.

Where were our rucks forward?

We had no structure forward of centre you can't blame that on Reeves and Meek.

In: Brockman
Out: Wingard(calf)

Really want to see Brockman. Also want to see more intensity. For Chad’s faults, when he plays and is not injured he’s one of the most intense in the team. I’d like both in. I’d probably drop Impey.

I thought Mitchell in his presser said it was just calf cramping? Or has he actually done something
If it’s just cramping that’s good, but the HFC match report just said “injuries: Wingard(calf)”.

No to Sic.

Maybe for Hardwick, he seemed comfortable in the forward half. Even moreso for Hardwick if he brings the real pressure forward game. We've not really seen him do that, so maybe something to look at. Butler / Brockman likely better suited
Right now, with Mitch Lewis out, we have Breust, and we have Dylan Moore who didn't hit the scoreboard today, and we have...

Who?

Breust kicked three goals today.

Two of our defenders (Jiath and Hardwick) kicked three goals between them.

Greene, Amon, and Wingard (before getting injured) kicked one apiece.

I saw lots of quick turnovers up forward because our forwards didn't apply enough pressure.

Meanwhile, the rest of our forwards didn't hit the scoreboard.

At this stage, we need someone with experience up forward to fill the role that Gunston used to play, because right now our young forwards aren't up to the task.

Sic can play forward, and right now our forward line needs him more than the back line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back