Toast Round 2 = Collingwood 135-64 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood seem to have reinvented some rare skillsets in recent weeks and done them to perfection.

1. The blind-backwards-handball-over-the-shoulder
2. The running-with-the-flight-of-the-ball-to-spoil-without-giving-away-a-free
On Mondays they practice running back no look spoils and on Wednesday's they train blind over the shoulder handballing

With our gameplan and mindset teams are always going to leak goals against us even against the run of play, we showed that against Geelong and showed it again today in the third quarter when Port wrested back some degree of ascendency around the ground for a period of time.

If we can maintain this intensity and hunger then we're going to be a hard beat for anyone this year no matter where we play them.

Kudos to Frampton for doing a serviceable job today. He wasn't great or even good by any stretch of the imagination and Dixon is a hard matchup, but he (Frampton) showed a bit of improvement with his positioning, focus and timing of his defensive acts so it's something to build on. If he can develop his defensive craft to a level of even just 70-80% of what Roughy brought to the table before him (relatively speaking) then that will go a long way towards success this season (and beyond).

Collingwood seem to have reinvented some rare skillsets in recent weeks and done them to perfection.

1. The blind-backwards-handball-over-the-shoulder
2. The running-with-the-flight-of-the-ball-to-spoil-without-giving-away-a-free
After years of battling away with 330 degree vision, Pendles has finally unlocked the last 30 degrees. Our persistence with him has paid off.

Fly's presser

There must have been plenty of things to like about that, what was the one thing that excited you the most?
"There's many. I thought our pressure in the first half was outstanding. You sort of come into a game hoping that the players would bring that sort of intensity and that was fantastic. We had +57 contested possessions. We just haven't had that. That hasn't been our story for the last 12 months but we were working towards getting that part of our game better. I just rewarded that in my message to the players. That was a really important number for us. It shows that we can do it".

You basically dared Ken [Hinkley] to tag Nick Daicos didn't you and he did for a little while? How do you think Nick handled that?
"I don't know if I dared Ken to do it. The reality is Nick is a great player and an emerging talent isn't he. We're gonna embrace it. I said to Nick on Friday and I said 'mate this is probably coming and we've got all the things we've worked through'. He got tagged in a practice game and learnt so much from it. We would support him as a team. Reality was in the first quarter he was getting tagged and the scoreboard was still ticking over in our favour so I said to Nick before the game yesterday, 'if this happens the scoreboard is ticking over then you'll just have to fight your own battles mate but we'll support you through that'. He's got an incredible ability to play multiple roles which makes it hard to tag"

Does he enjoy this challenge in a strange way as he seems to rise when something's put to him?
"I think this is just natural progression of a player that's an emerging talent like I said. All the best players have to go through this and this is a part of his journey right now".

All your six forwards are being used on the lead, is this by design?
"We're a system based offence and defence. I think we had 13 individual goal kickers which is a huge number which shows that we're getting a whole array of players involved in the game, and which shows that we're moving the ball efficiently. I was really pleased today. Justin Leppitsch has done a great job with our forwards in getting the connection to inside 50. It was a really high number for us to score today and they connected well. I think they worked really well with each other; blocking and all this sort of stuff so it made it hard to play on".

Are you surprised by how well the recruits have clicked into the system quickly?
"I said this last week that you target individuals to make us better. Bobby's electrifying. He's done a couple of nice things again today. Dan [McStay] looked like he grew within the role again today. I think it was a reflection of the whole chemistry of the work they're doing, as I said with Leppa and others. It's a good start".

Dan McStay kept the ball in which led to a potential GOTY by Nick Daicos. It was a remarkable moment.
"We want to be fun to watch. I did get excited on the bench. It was an exciting brand of footy. Pendles' decision making is amazing. We celebrate that stuff. Do we want to be the Harlem Globetrotters? No. But we want to be fun to watch".

Do you sense your fans are enjoying that as well?
"Yeah, and a shoutout to all our fans for turning up today. 60,000 is an enormous Saturday afternoon crowd against Port Adelaide. Thanks for turning up and we really appreciate you".

Any idea why the fans were booing Jason Horne-Francis?
"Funnily enough, I didn't hear that. Someone said that to me, but I honestly didn't hear that. I said this last year that I have a little 6-year old. We don't boo in our household. We respect the opposition and other athletes so it's just not something I would do".

Would you encourage the fans to stop booing?
"Well if you pay your money you can do whatever you like, but in my household we don't boo".

A shaky start by Billy Frampton, but he seemed to settle into the game. How did you see his game?
"I said that he would get better as he progresses. To play our systems is a lot different to where he's from. We're not asking him to be anything more than just a great part within that. I'm certain he will get better. I really thought he grew into the game too. If you watch the entirety, I think his second half was way better than his first. Watch this space, I think he's going to improve".

Brody Mihocek injury update?
"Dislocated his finger, so at this stage I think he should be fine".

Jack Ginnivan is available for selection next week. What has he learnt in that time and do you expect him to go through the VFL first?
"I got a great report today that I was really pleased to hear before the game that Jack has had an incredible training session over here. We put him through his paces. The whole 3, 4, 5 weeks, whatever it was he had a plan to get really fit. He couldn't play, but he obviously had to get to work. I was really pleased. I said this from a press conference on Thursday that he's done the work and now he has to wait for the opportunity potentially because he's given it others. I don't know what that looks like and for how long, but he's done what he can control in the time he's had off".

Any other injuries?
"No, not that I'm aware of".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought there were 70K when we played them in their first season at the G and we clobbered them.

Tad over 50 that day. A. Rocca's Collingwood debut. Buck's took a hanger. The guy from Hooty and the Blowfish tossed the coin. Ian Downsborough got knocked out and looked dead. Sadly, Lee Walker's last game as a Pie

First rule of gambling - in the long run the house ALWAYS wins.
As shown in real statistics.

While there is “fun” gambling such as the poster and his beer carton bet with his Carlton mate ( how can any who follows Carlton even be a mate confuses me) because it doesn’t involve losing your house or not being able to get your weekly groceries.
Unfortunately losing employment, houses and not being able to feed your family is not uncommon when caught in the gambling bug.
So maybe as an all ages forum the posting of the occasional win isn’t really appropriate.

Even watchinh the Test Pattern that used to appear on the ABC when the TV had finished for the day holds more appeal

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty good actually if you're tripping on shit.

Word of advice. Never watch American evangelists whilst on these drugs. You will not sleep well.
They come across as Satan.

Yeah, people only advertise their gambling winnings and never their losses (which is the vast majority) :think:. This gives an impression to people (including young kids on the forum) that u can win from gambling.
Well yes, kids are dumb by nature, but you can only protect them to some extent, and adults are free to enjoy the odd vice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 2 = Collingwood 135-64 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back