Review Round 2 versus Richmond, the autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't even blame the umpires, this week! We were absolutely horrible. Absolutely horrible. I'm not sure if we were buggered from the game against the Dogs 6 days ago, but we were dismal tonight. Richmond weren't much better, which makes it even harder to swallow.

I know Cotchin is hardly the most effective midfielder going around but you can't just let him run free.

Blair is a must out.

And Crisp is in the firing line as soon as Wells pulls it together. Offering nothing at the moment. Gets it and just bombs it long. He was at his best when he was taking the game on. What has happened?

Honestly, it's the selection table that baffles me the most. How can these supposed coaches not see that certain players are just nowhere near up to it? Yet, every week it's the same thing with players being picked for seemingly no reason at all.

Disgusting. How AFL standard players can miss set shots and easy targets under no pressure time after time is beyond me. Chris Mayne should have just about put the game to bed in the 3rd qtr with an easy see shot. Instead he kept the door open and Richmond took their opportunities. Haven't been this disappointed in a long time

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We're gonna see this a lot this season. We DOMINATED open play for 60minutes for a 3 goal return. Twice in the game we leaked 2-3 goals in about 5 minute frames.

You just cannot win like that.

Richmond are NOT a top 8 team. They're so heckin'g bad, yet they barely broke second gear and beat us.

We gave 100%. That's so scary. That's not far off our best right there. We have NO forward line. Nothing. There's no danger there.

This is the most disillusioned I have been with the pies and the more I think about it, the more I realise that most at the club are to blame.

Our gameplan has proven itself to be ineffective for years. Our hectic, high pressure game plan only works when the players are at 100% and when our skills are good.

When either is off, even a little, we are stuffed. Our defensive press is comprised (how many over the top goals have we conceded each week for years?) and we don't give ourselves a chance at the other end by chipping around the boundary.

These are problems that aren't new. They are the same problems we have had for years.

The poor skills and goal kicking are firstly the players fault, they are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and yet they are still below AFL standard when AFL pressure is on. However, with no noticeable improvement over years the skills coaches are also at fault. Why hasn't we seen any improvement?

Whatever the reason, the game plan just doesn't work. With that being the case, Why the **** hasn't there been any noticeable change in 3 years? Buckley, that is squarely on you. If something doesn't work, make a change. If that doesn't work, make another change. I love the man but he has to go.

So we have been bad, the contributing factors haven't changed and we continue to be bad. That is on the management. It is their job to make sure things are on the right track. It is obvious that we aren't and yet we continue with existing coaches and bring back old retread people in the football department....

Add in the inconsistent development of some of our kids and the seemingly endless injury list courtesy of the medical staff and I think we have covered most at the Holden centre.

I have traditionally been someone to favour stability but now Things have to change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's obviously things that can be done that will improve our performance but that's more a reflection of how poor we are ATM and it doesn't feel like there is a high ceiling unfortunately. A lot of that comes down to our skill deficiency that we're not fixing any time soon.

At the very least tho I'd like us to work hard, make some smarter decisions and not give up so many easy goals.

It's going to be another long season, made all the more frustrating when we knock off a couple of Top 4 teams.

The gap between best and worst is inexcusable.

We need to accept that Crisp is a spud.
Broomhead and Aish are talented but don't do enough. That said, I'd like Broomhead to be given a string of games. I hope Bucks isn't going to be a campaigner and drop Broomhead after that game.
Blair tried hard. Unlucky not to get a few frees. But doesn't do enough for a guy who has nearly played 150 games.
Sidebottom had a poor game.
Forward line is a head case.
Backline is a mixed bag, Howe is an AA defender.

Please Bucks, drop Blair, persist with Broomhead and Aish as they are the future.

I hate saying this but i honestly hope we lose every game we play this year. Im over the club. Coach, president, ceo and mostly our stupid recruiting department. Who the hell gives chris mayne $500k over 3years and more money to wells who cant even get on the field... just stupid. They deserve to lose. Our kicking is still shit house. Our decision making is stupid. And we still leak goals. Im over it!!

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

We can't kick for goals, we can't hit targets and this results in keeping the opposition team in the game for longer periods of time.
7.9 against the dogs v 8.1 and 5.10 this week against shitmond

Buckley is to stubborn to change things mid game. Moore realistically has the form of a VFL bound forward as he is not ready physically to be number 1.

Reid MUST play forward he is doing sweet fa as a defender anyway as this zone puts him out of position to do his usual intercepts.

We play such a dour and patched up forward 6 all have their own set of flaws including Moore at this stage of his career.
Blair is literally doubling as a garden Gnome with Mayne doubling as Blair doubling as a garden Gnome...
White is a tall HFF,
Moore no body strength, moved and held of the line/drop of the ball, doesn't lead enough at the ball or has poor leading patterns/timing.
Fasolo tries to do too much too often.

Aish is too slow gets caught far too often.

Foot skills team wide for a 2nd year in a row are forking absolute dog shit.

Crisp is continuing his poor form of last season. If we had someone to replace him he should be in the VFL.

Phillips and Smith both have issues under AFL pressure both turn it over when even remotely pressured.

Game plan is too taxing and also makes scoring for us harder then it should be. We push back as a team but then have no one to kick to on the rebound we hold it up then have 36 fricken players in our f50 same against Dogs.

Going to be a long year....
I know we haven't had a great functioning forwardline ever since Daicos was slotting them from the grandstand in the early 90's, but gee this current setup is woeful.

A few players need to be given the chop completely. Blair has to be the first of these. Maynard and Crisp close behind Schade needs to quickly develop a clue or he is also gone.

Problem is, who can even come in? We hardly have much ready to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2 versus Richmond, the autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back