Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for a spring clean of our list

They were instructed to give him the ball but now they give him the ball only for it to be turned over. He’s useless without the ball if I’m brutally honest.
Haven't once seen him drop the shoulder and lay a body tackle in 2 seasons.

So broke his jaw again! We rabble if that has happened

No, concussion apparently. He seemed to bump himself head first into a player at one point.

It's pretty clear that we're reactive with many things, selections, gamestyle, structure etc...

We've had a rigid structure all year. When we don't have our best 22, instead of updating our structure, we try to fill the voids with sub-standard players. We might have better players unselected, or promising youth ready to go, but no we just stick with the same structure and play proven limited players.

The lack of forward thinking and being proactive is truly worrisome, it hasn't changed and doesn't look like changing. I'd love our players to be healthily scared of our coach, instead of being scared of the opposition. Mediocrity still reigns.
I think part of the issue tonight was we changed the structure of the past few weeks and played way too many forwards while being a defender short. Which was then only compounded by Howard going off - the worst possible player to lose.

Whoever thought we needed to play all of Butler, Higgins, Kent and Long as forward got it wrong. Our forward and back balance had been very good the past 6 weeks so there was no need to change it.

From the team tonight, I have the following that I have little faith in:
1. Hunter
2. Long
3. Kent
4. Billings
5. Ross
6. Dunstan
7. Butler
8. Ratten + coaching staff

The real worry is this. Good coaches don't let beltings like this happen this many times in a season. We need to seriously review everyone's position at the end of the year.
Give Long a go. Nobody puts more on the line than him.

We must ‘encourage’ Billing’s to find a new home via FA. At this point, I’m happy to take a third rounder for him. Two reasons..1. So I never have to experience the disappointment of him letting us down again and again, and 2. Our recruiters have proven that they are pretty good at finding talent late in the draft, so I‘m pretty confident that whoever they pick with the third rounder will be an upgrade on Billing’s.

Post Bye:

Richmond ✅
Collingwood ✅
Brisbane ✅
Port Adelaide ❌
West Coast ❌
Carlton ❌

Order has been restored in our search for a high draft pick, the universe is manifesting something I can sense it! Truth is, we are a 50/50 team in 2021, at least there have been some highlights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to say really that hasn’t already been said, except…
has a debutant ( Brian said it was his second game 🙄) ever kicked his first goal within his first few minutes on the ground? Surely a record.

At this stage I’d rather finish 13th than ninth - get a better draft pick, gonna need all the good talent we can get.
Jeez 😱

If Sharmo is a developing ruck can’t we just play him as Kings decoy for a year and then back as a year and then if he’s ready drop him in the ruck
He looks too good to be left to go to waste and floundering in the vfl for a couple of years.

Time for a big cleanout. I've been a Billings supporter for a long time but he finally lost me today. Ross has to go. Kent never should have been signed to the club.

Props to Steele, King and Sharman.

These guys shouldn't be on the list next year:

Alabakis
Billings
Carlisle
Dunstan
Frawley
Geary
Hannebery
Hunter
Kent
Lonie
McKernan
Roberton
Ross

Let Billings, Ross and Dunstan walk as free agents - they're relics of the Richo era that we should move on from. We're better off using late draft picks to try and find someone of quality than hold onto spuds for the sake of not turning over too much of the list. We desperately need another genuine key defender and competent ruck depth.

What beat us today was our ball use going inside 50, and our inability to defend the turnover.
We have too many mids who butcher the footy going forward, leaving us exposed out the back after we turn it over. 18.4 is a reflection of their easy looks, not their stellar conversion.
That’s been the story of our season. We lack polish and class and the club needs to face the reality of where our list is actually at.

Our forward line is a shambles, King kicked 3 goals early and once Carlton shut him down we had no other avenues to goal.

Most of our other goals came after the result was done and dusted, easy to kick junktime goals, no one stepped up to kick goals when we needed them.

Sharman had a good proper debut.

I thought Ross was really good. King was excellent when given correct service. Steele tried hard all night and Connolly showed spark.

That’s about it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ross was really good?! Footage must have got scrambled making its way over to you

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back