Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He also didn't have multiple people for days talking about the driving motion of his tackle.
Exactly, to suit some bizarre narrative using words such as driving / ramming etc. Can't say I've seen Jon Ralph or David King comment on Uwland's action or even a tackle by Cam Rayner that also looked awfully similar.

Clearly it was the fact that Duggan got concussed which obviously got them hot under the collar. That being said, none of Neale, the player Rayner tackled contributed to it by also trying to pull, turn and twist the tackler across their body as Duggan did - oh and the surface isn't as hard or neither of those players had historical concussion histories.

I mean, imagine if Paddy McCartin was tackled these days, would it be really fair to suspend a tackler given how easy he was getting concussed those last few times before he retired? Still can't believe this isn't factored when it obviously isn't given Neale and the player Rayner tackled didn't get concussed yet Christian and the Tribunal and there goons in Ralph and King always get in hysterics about the outcome, not the action otherwise where have they all been (except Christian who did cite Uwlnad) in the Uwland and Rayner tackles?

Lol , that's the only down side of the gabba being crowded.
I can put up with the queues , but the bone heads around you talking about their next holiday or shopping , like everybody else wants to hear about it, always about themselves , then they jump up when we do something , not knowing what it was.
Can't wait for us to be on the bottom again, lol :D .
Tbh it's mainly some lady behind us, doesn't stop flapping her gums, lucky I'm an understanding empathetic person that understands some people just have to be heard.
Speaking of being tone deaf, what about the fans who tried to get a Mexican wave going on Saturday? Last quarter, 9 point ball game, yeah great time for a wave!

Reminded me of the time back in Tassie when Ricky Ponting slog-swept some poor hapless Zimbabwean spinner over the scoreboard on the hill, just as a wave kicked off. Everyone was like "duuuuuhhhhh what happened" and I was like "the Australian captain just hit it out of the park and if you'd been paying attention you'd have seen it". Needless to say I don't take part in any Mexican waves 🙃

Genius.
Exactly, to suit some bizarre narrative using words such as driving / ramming etc. Can't say I've seen Jon Ralph or David King comment on Uwland's action or even a tackle by Cam Rayner that also looked awfully similar.

Clearly it was the fact that Duggan got concussed which obviously got them hot under the collar. That being said, none of Neale, the player Rayner tackled contributed to it by also trying to pull, turn and twist the tackler across their body as Duggan did - oh and the surface isn't as hard or neither of those players had historical concussion histories.

I mean, imagine if Paddy McCartin was tackled these days, would it be really fair to suspend a tackler given how easy he was getting concussed those last few times before he retired? Still can't believe this isn't factored when it obviously isn't given Neale and the player Rayner tackled didn't get concussed yet Christian and the Tribunal and there goons in Ralph and King always get in hysterics about the outcome, not the action otherwise where have they all been (except Christian who did cite Uwlnad) in the Uwland and Rayner tackles?
I'm pretty sure that Rayner himself was tackled in a similar fashion as well.

Speaking of being tone deaf, what about the fans who tried to get a Mexican wave going on Saturday? Last quarter, 9 point ball game, yeah great time for a wave!

Reminded me of the time back in Tassie when Ricky Ponting slog-swept some poor hapless Zimbabwean spinner over the scoreboard on the hill, just as a wave kicked off. Everyone was like "duuuuuhhhhh what happened" and I was like "the Australian captain just hit it out of the park and if you'd been paying attention you'd have seen it". Needless to say I don't take part in any Mexican waves 🙃
It's so 30 years ago

Last edited:

What’s a Mexican Wave? Something done by people who don’t know much about cricket!

Was listening to the ABC's call of the game today. They had Jeff White and Matthew Primus on special comms.

In the last quarter at a throw in or around our 50, they mentioned how Oscar was set up a kick behind the play, but the runner came out and told him to go forward and compete at the throw in. That throw in led immediately to Lohmann's goal to give us a 15 point lead.

Shortly afterwards, they mentioned at another forward 50 ball up or throw in (forget which), how our guys were all on the move around the ruckmen. Lo and behold, a few seconds later, Lachie gets his free kick, goes back, kicks the goal and basically settles the result.

I was intrigued by this mindset. Previously we might have let Oscar set up that kick behind the play, allowing Joe to compete in ruck, risk a no-contest, let them out the open side, bypassing Oscar and rendering him redundant.

5 minutes later, we could have easily adopted defensive, reactive positions around that stoppage, and simply played for a repeat ball up or throw in.

But rather than try and save the game, as I think we have tried to do, too many times, too often unsuccessfully, to me these are clear examples of playing to win the game. To seal it, put it beyond doubt, well before the siren.

I don't know if this is the Dew influence, but either way I don't care. I just want more of this.

Play to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns will be fine. Dimma has been swinging the axe almost every week, it’s clear he’s spent a lot of this season trying to figure out what their best setup is.

Give it a year or two and we will long for the days when we could pencil in 2 wins every year before the season started
I'd like the Suns to succeed. If we win the flag this year I would even be ok with them winning a QClash or two in the coming decade.

I'd like the Suns to succeed. If we win the flag this year I would even be ok with them winning a QClash or two in the coming decade.
Channel 9 Mark GIF by The Block

Standard Suns supporter I guess 🤷

One guy said it was the best Mexican wave he’d seen since this time in Tassie when he was watching Australia v Zimbabwe

If we win a flag then I'd be okay with them winning one as long as it's not at our expense. The Coasters winning a flag V a Vic team or Port especially would be sweet. Not okay with them winning a Q clash under any circumstances.

Re the mexican wave and the crowd in general; reckon there was a metric flop-ton there on complimentary passes the other night. The prevalence of neutral-coloured clothing is a dead give away.

Found it curious both Q-clashes were "sell-outs" this years after years of being poorly attended. HQ trying to create the perception that these games aren't non-events by filling the stands with freebies?

If we win a flag then I'd be okay with them winning one as long as it's not at our expense. The Coasters winning a flag V a Vic team or Port especially would be sweet. Not okay with them winning a Q clash under any circumstances.
I would barrack for them against the Pies even in the regular season ...

Re the mexican wave and the crowd in general; reckon there was a metric flop-ton there on complimentary passes the other night. The prevalence of neutral-coloured clothing is a dead give away.

Found it curious both Q-clashes were "sell-outs" this years after years of being poorly attended. HQ trying to create the perception that these games aren't non-events by filling the stands with freebies?
Part of the Lions 11 game membership is a free GA seat at Carrara
I believe the same applies to the Suns attending the Gabba
Also, you get guest passes to certain games during the year depending on you type of membership.
This has been the case for many years.
The Gabba Suns game was not announced as a sell out as far as i know, but a very good crowd of 30,285.
The return match at Carrara was mentioned as a sellout. But they were guessing on how many free Lions ticket holders would attend. So probably assumed the GA section at one end would be full or close to it.

The Club also encourages anyone who can't go to give their ticket to a friend/relative or return it to the club.
They want bums on seats, so the game on TV looks better with a crowd, and people consume more food & beverages to support those outlets.

If the Lions/AFL did give away a lot of tickets on top of what's mentioned above for those two Suns games i don't have an issue with it.
They may or may not have done so. Until someone confirms it, we won't be the wiser.

However, giving away tickets to sporting events is a good marketing ploy in most circumstances.
But you don't give tickets away to say a Pies game or any other game the club thinks may sell out.

Think you're being a bit presumptuous here to assume everyone likes to wear their team colours when attending a game. Lately I've worn quite neutral colours to games and I'm no less of a fan than I was 5 or 20 years ago. 32nd season as a Lions/Bears member.

Think you're being a bit presumptuous here to assume everyone likes to wear their team colours when attending a game. Lately I've worn quite neutral colours to games and I'm no less of a fan than I was 5 or 20 years ago. 32nd season as a Lions/Bears member.
Not saying this applies here, but in some sports/for some teams with international followings, wearing a jersey to the game is actually a sign that you are an out of towner.

In english football, if you wear the shirt and shorts, it's literally called being a "full kit w***er"... But I can't imagine too many people do that haha
Edit: not including kids obviously

Last edited:

I mean if so who cares. It brings in people in a you may come out with an extra few fans because of it. Plus games that have a reputation of selling out become more prevalent from that alone. It’s why musicians will sellout a smaller arena even if they could get some more but not sellout a stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back