Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hippy to defense ended up being a good decision.
Another big effort from Big O.
We stuck to a gameplan that gave us the win.
Not super impressive but undermanned in defense. We got the 4 points and the first team to beat the Suns at home this year.
This is around the usual time the wheels fall off the Suns so it will be interesting to see how they handle the next few games.
We get to freshen up a bit with a 7-day break before the Saints game.
Saints with a good 108-55 win over the Bombers so it will be another tough away game.
Appears no injuries apart from Hippy looking a bit sore at one stage.

Played quite well for 3 quarters but the Suns came hard after a few early misses from the Lions. Forward to when we were less than 2 goals in front with 7 1/2 minutes to go. Never let them back in the game and kicked the last 3 goals. Fagan and Dew will be ecstatic with the win like us.

It was very much a bend don't break team defensive effort. They kept coming and we kept them at arms length. Had we allowed them to get a run of goals it could have destroyed is but the leadership of Zorko down back, to reset, refocus and celebrate the wins kept us on top all match.

Was holding my breath there for a while but yes it was a gutsy win, phew.

Not sure about Hippy down back though, looked like a big gangly giraffe at times.:grinv1:
You think he looks silky skilled up forward!:)

QClash tally is now 20-7.

They’ll never come close to squaring the ledger from here.

The AFL will be happy with the crowd at Metricon today but will be concerned that it was at least 70 percent Lions fans.

Such little return on the investment as we approach the 15 year mark.

So who's this Harris Andrews fellow I keep hearing about?

It was very much a bend don't break team defensive effort. They kept coming and we kept them at arms length. Had we allowed them to get a run of goals it could have destroyed is but the leadership of Zorko down back, to reset, refocus and celebrate the wins kept us on top all match.
Same as the Eagles, same as the Crows
We've done well taking the punches but not letting teams get on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as the Eagles, same as the Crows
We've done well taking the punches but not letting teams get on the board.

Was very similar to those games actually - both eagles and crows were more accurate than the Suns though, hence the difference in margin.

Given our defensive personnel very happy with the effort.

I enjoyed that one too. I didn't think we were ever really threatened. We had their measure by half time. So many errors, but so much effort. Zorko led the way. How good has he been this year? If not his best season, his most important definitely.

I'm only going to draw notice to a cpl of players. Firstly Wilmot, he was in that worst kick list they mentioned during the commentary. The amount of times he dump kicks or just kicks to a turnover, has become enough to be statistical competition wide. The rest of his game is very good. If he fixes that disposal up, we are better as a team.

The second player is Ashcroft. He is badly out of sorts. His kicking turnover rate is as bad as Wilmots at the moment. I joked last week his two way run is Lyons like. It's not good. He's fumbly, missing hand balls. His form is well down. Does he need a confidence game in the ressies? Get his timing back, his attack at the ball etc. Many called for Mckenna to be dropped after continued poor form, should have happened sooner rather than later possibly. Are we at that stage with Ashcroft? The end of the season is closing fast, we want our best players in the best form. Does he need a tune up or will he run himself into form before finals?

Anyway, really happy with the ugly but controlled win. Love seeing the enjoyment and grit the team and squad are showing. May it continue.

On performance he would be stiff to be dropped, however Andrews and potentially Joyce will be back. Who goes out?
Doubt Joyce will be back, so Prior makes an ok third tall

Think the main story out of tonight should be what a shizenhausen outfit the Gold Coast Suns Football Club are. And wear.

And Zorks needs to hand his medal over to its rightful owner: Motty.
Nup , Zorks deserved it , Darcy was good but Zorks was better .

I enjoyed that one too. I didn't think we were ever really threatened. We had their measure by half time. So many errors, but so much effort. Zorko led the way. How good has he been this year? If not his best season, his most important definitely.

I'm only going to draw notice to a cpl of players. Firstly Wilmot, he was in that worst kick list they mentioned during the commentary. The amount of times he dump kicks or just kicks to a turnover, has become enough to be statistical competition wide. The rest of his game is very good. If he fixes that disposal up, we are better as a team.

The second player is Ashcroft. He is badly out of sorts. His kicking turnover rate is as bad as Wilmots at the moment. I joked last week his two way run is Lyons like. It's not good. He's fumbly, missing hand balls. His form is well down. Does he need a confidence game in the ressies? Get his timing back, his attack at the ball etc. Many called for Mckenna to be dropped after continued poor form, should have happened sooner rather than later possibly. Are we at that stage with Ashcroft? The end of the season is closing fast, we want our best players in the best form. Does he need a tune up or will he run himself into form before finals?

Anyway, really happy with the ugly but controlled win. Love seeing the enjoyment and grit the team and squad are showing. May it continue.
Ashcroft is too class for ressies, keep playing and getting game time and he will just as likely get a BoG in a finals performance

Ashcroft has been more than fine, miffed by this assessment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back