Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

QClash tally is now 20-7.

They’ll never come close to squaring the ledger from here.

The AFL will be happy with the crowd at Metricon today but will be concerned that it was at least 70 percent Lions fans.

Such little return on the investment as we approach the 15 year mark.
I'd say "at least 70%" is a bit of an exaggeration, TBH - probably more like 60%.

Yeah Ashcroft is a conundrum. Tonight he butchered pretty much every thing he touched... Hospital handballs, turn over kicks and just not taking advantage of opportunities.

But he won't improve in the VFL... He needs to find speed, touch and confidence and it has to be at the top level.

In the meantime though he could actually run and chase a bit...

Last edited:
Played quite well for 3 quarters but the Suns came hard after a few early misses from the Lions. Forward to when we were less than 2 goals in front with 7 1/2 minutes to go. Never let them back in the game and kicked the last 3 goals. Fagan and Dew will be ecstatic with the win like us.

Won every quarter though!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Fagan collects Coach of The Year..?

Has answered every challenge issued to him this season. From 2-5 to being in a position to grab a home final. All the talk in the media of moving on from him.. and throughout it all he remained composed and assured the boys we were okay. Just an absolute class act.

I enjoyed that one too. I didn't think we were ever really threatened. We had their measure by half time. So many errors, but so much effort. Zorko led the way. How good has he been this year? If not his best season, his most important definitely.

I'm only going to draw notice to a cpl of players. Firstly Wilmot, he was in that worst kick list they mentioned during the commentary. The amount of times he dump kicks or just kicks to a turnover, has become enough to be statistical competition wide. The rest of his game is very good. If he fixes that disposal up, we are better as a team.

The second player is Ashcroft. He is badly out of sorts. His kicking turnover rate is as bad as Wilmots at the moment. I joked last week his two way run is Lyons like. It's not good. He's fumbly, missing hand balls. His form is well down. Does he need a confidence game in the ressies? Get his timing back, his attack at the ball etc. Many called for Mckenna to be dropped after continued poor form, should have happened sooner rather than later possibly. Are we at that stage with Ashcroft? The end of the season is closing fast, we want our best players in the best form. Does he need a tune up or will he run himself into form before finals?

Anyway, really happy with the ugly but controlled win. Love seeing the enjoyment and grit the team and squad are showing. May it continue.

I saw a couple of clangers from Neale in the first quarter that cost us goals..... Reckon we should give him a run in the VFL next week along side Wilmot & Ashcroft?

Ashcroft should not be beyond some constructive criticism. At the moment he is being carried in the team.

Butchered kicks, hospital handballs, turn overs are correctable deficiencies. The more he plays the more confident he will become with his body and he will work on these issues. However his lack of desire for two way running and his neglect of defensive duties, need attitude adjustment. We know Fagan will be loyal and supportive. If anyone can do it Fages can.

We need Ashcroft at his near best in the finals. He has few more games to work on his game.

Once Dizz went down and Linc on the same day ,and sad as that was of 2 stalwarts in the team, we've redefined Rayner's role , got 2 real goers in Lohman and Ah Chee as permanents who harass and get right up the ground to help with our defensive structures and just have a better balance when we go forward.

We were also forced to play Morris.

Let's face it , it's a much better set up.

We keep winning but feel as we're getting no further away on the ladder. It's a serious log jam
But the difference is we keep winning. The other teams now below us have all dropped games - we’ve bubbled to the top.
The Saints next week is no gimme. We’ll need to be absolutely on our game. We’re close enough to the end of the H&A that we can see it.
Amazingly 2nd place is in our hands, which was unthinkable at the bye. I still think it’s unlikely that we go undefeated to the end of season, but with the incentive of home finals only 4 games away, it’s a possibility.

1-week at a time… keep churning out these performances. 🦁

Ashcroft should not be beyond some constructive criticism. At the moment he is being carried in the team.

Butchered kicks, hospital handballs, turn overs are correctable deficiencies. The more he plays the more confident he will become with his body and he will work on these issues. However his lack of desire for two way running and his neglect of defensive duties, need attitude adjustment. We know Fagan will be loyal and supportive. If anyone can do it Fages can.

We need Ashcroft at his near best in the finals. He has few more games to work on his game.
He's played just over half a year and a few games into the next year after an ACL. In his whole career thus far.

Besides which I think you guys are overstating his current inadequacies.

Seen others stink it up for a year or two and no one seemed to have a problem.

Ashcroft is a jet so let's cut him a little slack.

Ashcroft will come good, he's putting in the work, just needs more time

Massive injury to come back from
Absolutely. Hippy and Rayner were both given the time to rebuild after ACL in the seniors. It’s the right move.
Another 4 games before finals for Ashcroft to build and find form, then a week off to get some recovery.

Surely Fagan collects Coach of The Year..?

Has answered every challenge issued to him this season. From 2-5 to being in a position to grab a home final. All the talk in the media of moving on from him.. and throughout it all he remained composed and assured the boys we were okay. Just an absolute class act.

Just needs the flag!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely. Hippy and Rayner were both given the time to rebuild after ACL in the seniors. It’s the right move.
Another 4 games before finals for Ashcroft to build and find form, then a week off to get some recovery.

Yeah and nobody has ever said anything negative about Hippy or Rayner

Ashcroft has been more than fine, miffed by this assessment.

Yeah his kicking has always been the weakest part of his game but he hasn’t been missing many handballs inside and came back into a midfield which now has Berry and Rayner competing for spots.

Edit: I will admit I have no idea how his defensive efforts have been but considering many here have pointed it out I’m going to assume I missed it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back