Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hippy did his job today, and learned some new skills. He was lost in the first quarter, but built into it and did well for the remainder of the match. Great that we were able to experiment and throw him back.

Considering the fragility of our backline (who knows what the next 2 months will bring), we now know a bit more than we did before today’s game.

Surely Fagan collects Coach of The Year..?

Has answered every challenge issued to him this season. From 2-5 to being in a position to grab a home final. All the talk in the media of moving on from him.. and throughout it all he remained composed and assured the boys we were okay. Just an absolute class act.
It will go to Mitchell.

Kane Cornes still saying to hold on signing Fagan again. 🙄

Ryan Lester’s last quarter ‘screamer’ was such an important mark. Lester is 100% the player that you want to have the ball in hand in the back half. He and Andrews are such a dynamic duo. Looking forward to getting Andrews back.

Starcevich just can’t quite eradicate the ‘brain fart’ from his game and McKenna is fast becoming our ‘Clanger King’. There is no way EITHER of those players should take kick ins after a behind.

Very assured for the most part ,he's a strong unit.

Last week we were cutting him now I'm glad we've got him.
I’ve always said this. Prior is a ‘pure footballer’. I’d keep him in and flick McKenna, who is just terrible at the minute.

It will go to Mitchell.

Kane Cornes still saying to hold on signing Fagan again. 🙄
One thing that slightly irritates me is people going on about who should be AA or Coach of the year when there's nothing much between 11 teams and the next 4 games are the most crucial to see who stands up and who falls by the wayside.

Super gutsy win. I just loved seeing how it was such a team effort and they were constantly acknowledging the big defensive efforts.

Zorko Neale and Rayner were the clear best three on the ground. Huge effort again. Absolutely dragging us over the line.

I voted for Hipwood and Prior next (and wanted to vote for Lester and the other defenders as well). They probably weren't the next best players but should get massive BnF votes for that. Came in for an extreme challenge and in the end actually out pointed their opponents. Hipwood had some shaky moments but kept flying for intercepts and the sneaky goal gave him the win over King.

Prior was just straight up solid. Beat his man and was very composed with the ball. Stays in until Payne/Joyce are fit. And to be honest he played better than Brain and McKenna. Off this game alone he'd stay in the team over them.

Ryan Lester’s last quarter ‘screamer’ was such an important mark. Lester is 100% the player that you want to have the ball in hand in the back half. He and Andrews are such a dynamic duo. Looking forward to getting Andrews back.

Starcevich just can’t quite eradicate the ‘brain fart’ from his game and McKenna is fast becoming our ‘Clanger King’. There is no way EITHER of those players should take kick ins after a behind.
That mark by Froggy was an absolute belter and courageous.

Since we changed our line coach it's no secret that he's grown in confidence and stature. Just needed someone to believe in him.

Besides you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously though what is the deal with McKenna? He was brilliant last year

Seems the injuries have just buggered his momentum this year

I like prior but one thing that I noticed last time he had a few games in the 1sts and he did it again today is that he quite often doesn’t take the first disposal option after a mark. He lets the defence get set then Kicks to a contest down the line which we invariably lose and we are hard on defense again. He needs to learn to take the first option.

Also Zorko's spoil is now my favourite little man moment of the year over taking Charlie's ruck cameo
Honestly his reaction after that had serious Trump ear shot off vibes.

One thing that has really improved us this year has been his leadership in the back half. Directs traffic and his enthusiasm is infectious.

1722084218919.jpeg
Next week for Ryan Lester! Let the celebrations begin!

Very assured for the most part ,he's a strong unit.

Last week we were cutting him now I'm glad we've got him.
It's been like that with most of our fringe players. It's amazing what they can do when given an opportunity.

I like prior but one thing that I noticed last time he had a few games in the 1sts and he did it again today is that he quite often doesn’t take the first disposal option after a mark. He lets the defence get set then Kicks to a contest down the line which we invariably lose and we are hard on defense again. He needs to learn to take the first option.
He's had a few clangers in his time and when you get your one opportunity out of nowhere to show what you've got you don't want to stuff it up.

But you're right.

Seriously though what is the deal with McKenna? He was brilliant last year

Seems the injuries have just buggered his momentum this year
Added nothing when he came on and I actually think we missed Brains hardness... He's always been ordinary defensively but tonight he was a witches hat... maybe it's confidence but jogging around won't get you involved or improving.

Maybe it's time but we don't have that luxury of carrying a defender at the moment that's for sure.

Added nothing when he came on and I actually think we missed Brains hardness... He's always been ordinary defensively but tonight he was a witches hat... maybe it's confidence but jogging around won't get you involved or improving.

Maybe it's time but we don't have that luxury of carrying a defender at the moment that's for sure.
I’d hold Prior over McKenna when the time comes.
Brain had a few bad moments tonight, but McKenna has been ordinary all season when not injured.

Also Zorko's spoil is now my favourite little man moment of the year over taking Charlie's ruck cameo

The fun moments between team mates that genuinely go out and play for each other. Literally take on each other's roles even though they are physically incompatible with them.

So important to team success.

Love the story that zorko, Lester and Joe meet regularly to see how they can contribute their collective experience to the team.

It all adds up to a winning culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back