Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d hold Prior over McKenna when the time comes.
Brain had a few bad moments tonight, but McKenna has been ordinary all season when not injured.
Brain has to stop handballing at his teammates ankles. Did it twice. Just poor.

Was I nervous? When Hippys first touch was to give away a 50, damn straight I was. Was I nervous when they took Brain off and brought McKenna on? You betcha. But this team has been inspired this year. It feels like the grit and determination is there, and the adversity that we've had to face this season has absolutely galvanised us. Zorko an absolute legend, that spoil and reaction afterwards, just fantastic. Really proud of the boys, sensational effort. The sun sets over the pridelands and we march on. 🦁

Was I nervous? When Hippys first touch was to give away a 50, damn straight I was. Was I nervous when they took Brain off and brought McKenna on? You betcha. But this team has been inspired this year. It feels like the grit and determination is there, and the adversity that we've had to face this season has absolutely galvanised us. Zorko an absolute legend, that spoil and reaction afterwards, just fantastic. Really proud of the boys, sensational effort. The sun sets over the pridelands and we march on. 🦁
Shades of 2001.

Prior played the game of his life, earnt another game next week.

For the first time in a while I felt that no player seemed like dead wood. Even Smith and Morris, who didn’t touch the scoreboard, managed to find a way to get into the game.

Rayner continues to repay the faith.

Stewey Dew looked to be all over this one, surely gets added as an assistant for next year.

Saints will be tough without three talls. Will see if Hippy stays in defence next week.

I enjoyed that one too. I didn't think we were ever really threatened. We had their measure by half time. So many errors, but so much effort. Zorko led the way. How good has he been this year? If not his best season, his most important definitely.

I'm only going to draw notice to a cpl of players. Firstly Wilmot, he was in that worst kick list they mentioned during the commentary. The amount of times he dump kicks or just kicks to a turnover, has become enough to be statistical competition wide. The rest of his game is very good. If he fixes that disposal up, we are better as a team.

The second player is Ashcroft. He is badly out of sorts. His kicking turnover rate is as bad as Wilmots at the moment. I joked last week his two way run is Lyons like. It's not good. He's fumbly, missing hand balls. His form is well down. Does he need a confidence game in the ressies? Get his timing back, his attack at the ball etc. Many called for Mckenna to be dropped after continued poor form, should have happened sooner rather than later possibly. Are we at that stage with Ashcroft? The end of the season is closing fast, we want our best players in the best form. Does he need a tune up or will he run himself into form before finals?

Anyway, really happy with the ugly but controlled win. Love seeing the enjoyment and grit the team and squad are showing. May it continue.
Bit harsh on Ashcroft, I thought this was his best game since he came back. Was actually hitting targets and getting the ball when he should be

Once Dizz went down and Linc on the same day ,and sad as that was of 2 stalwarts in the team, we've redefined Rayner's role , got 2 real goers in Lohman and Ah Chee as permanents who harass and get right up the ground to help with our defensive structures and just have a better balance when we go forward.

We were also forced to play Morris.

Let's face it , it's a much better set up.
Hard to say we might not be better with Linc out there somewhere though. But I don’t know where he fits in now unless we decide to two talls.

The fun moments between team mates that genuinely go out and play for each other. Literally take on each other's roles even though they are physically incompatible with them.

So important to team success.

Love the story that zorko, Lester and Joe meet regularly to see how they can contribute their collective experience to the team.

It all adds up to a winning culture.
The fact we have got big Joe buying into and being a leader is huge IMO. He has some real brain farts at times but he does some brilliant, high footy IQ things as we all know. Is our top 2-3 most important players IMO.

Hard to say we might not be better with Linc out there somewhere though. But I don’t know where he fits in now unless we decide to two talls.
Linc will play ahead of Ah Chee if it comes down to forward line selection.

Ah Chee could play anywhere in my opinion so he'll likely end up being utility.

A night for the much-maligned.

Rayner was every bit as good as we know he can be. 25 touches, 2 goals (and a poster), a few more clearances and a couple of goal assists - this is a guy who is realising his immense talent! Rapt for him.

And Hipwood, despite a shaky start, ended up with 5 intercept marks and a goal, throwing everything at an unfamiliar role which was thrust upon him.

And speaking of much-maligned, while less so in recent times, and finally getting some recognition for what he brings, how dependable is Ryan Froggy Lester! I am grateful for the opportunity to attend #Lester200 this week at Marvel - stalwart, consummate professional, superlative.

Henry looked a lot more comfortable as the main ruck. It's as if he knew his role, was able to follow up with clarity and had some deft touches to our clearance mids. Hope we persist with him and leave Hipwood in defense until Payne or Joyce come back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Suns only kicked 9 goals .We strangled them. Our defence won the game. Apart from the first quarter where King had the best of Hipwood all our defenders were great,

On ballers get the votes from both team supporters despite the fact they play on each other. My best were Zorks, Lester, Wilmount, Starcs who won every important contest. The Suns could not score despite having control of the game for periods.

Rayner has now played two good games in a row. Cannot remember him doing that before.

I am in Port Douglas next week so will miss the Lester 200 parade down Collins Street. I assume he will get the keys to the city and will be our next prime minister and man of the year. He cannot win the American election as he isn't an American.

I wonder how 3KZ's students will fair this week being forced to write essay after essay on the great man. Any essay that isn't filled with superlatives will be thrown back in their faces.

Its 2029. The Lions just defeated Gold Coast, again, for the third time in the season thanks to the AFLs new fixture. Dayne Zorko celebrates his 40th birthday with a 40 touch Ashcroft medal win.

All is good.

Prior played the game of his life, earnt another game next week.

For the first time in a while I felt that no player seemed like dead wood. Even Smith and Morris, who didn’t touch the scoreboard, managed to find a way to get into the game.

Rayner continues to repay the faith.

Stewey Dew looked to be all over this one, surely gets added as an assistant for next year.

Saints will be tough without three talls. Will see if Hippy stays in defence next week.

Haven’t heard much about Joyce, wouldn’t be the first player to only miss 1 week with a broken/cracked jaw

Its 2029. The Lions just defeated Gold Coast, again, for the third time in the season thanks to the AFLs new fixture. Dayne Zorko celebrates his 40th birthday with a 40 touch Ashcroft medal win.

All is good.
On his 400th game of course !

The real worry from this game, which has already been mentioned a few times is the form of McKenna. I get he only came on as the sub, but even when everyone else was tiring, he looked to be struggling just as much.

I’ve said before I still don’t believe he was 100% committed to returning this year, but did so believing he may snare a flag after getting so close last year. If there was any of that thinking behind his decision it’s no surprise he hasn’t been in peak condition, which has probably contributed to his injuries and form this year.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes I wonder if he has a discussion with the club at the end of the year about returning home a year early.

Lester has well and truly proved that he is resilient, reliable and courageous and gets better with age. Two hundred games is well earned and a true tribute to an absolute stalwart who has established his place as a highly respected player in the club’s history.

Lohmann isn’t just a good small forward, he actually plays the whole field in a way few small forwards do. I think we have a real talent there and he has excellent instincts that are hard to teach. So impressed with his development.

Wilmot is flourishing now and seems to have been around for years but is really still young. So much to look forward to.

Rayner is finally realising his potential and he is answering much-deserved criticism in the best way possible, influencing games and impacting the outcomes. If he can have the sort of involvement he has had in the last few games, he is doing his job. Anything more turns him into a potential star of the game. Belief seems to be the key with him.

Well done to Hipwood. That was a tough ask. He took a while to adjust but did his best and got better. I think it will even make him a better player as a forward. Also Prior, got the job done in tough circumstances without established tall defenders around him.

The fact that we can now count on the likes of Shadeau, Morris, Bruce as genuine contributors is immense going forward. As well, there is a group who are also challenging for their next opportunity, Sharp, Dev, Henry, Answerth. We need that health in the list.

I saw a couple of clangers from Neale in the first quarter that cost us goals..... Reckon we should give him a run in the VFL next week along side Wilmot & Ashcroft?
No suggestion of that at all. I just posed the question. Both are the turnover kings at the moment. And Ashcrofts form is down. Simple factual statements. I didn't propose Wilmot go back, just that if fixed we are better off.

I find it interesting that when McKenna's ordinary form continued, there were many many calls for him to be dropped. Yet Ashcroft hasn't shone, has issues, so I just posed the same question of him. Would he benefit from a confidence builder in the ressies or not?

IMG_0568.png
Ryan Lester, soars to take a clutch intercept mark deep in the last quarter against the Suns. A fantastic contested intercept mark. The football world has finally caught on. Ryan Lester is a genuine talent and he is pivotal to our defence. He and Harris Andrews are our two leading talls. Lester is our most reliable decision maker in defence, clearly the best defender when the ball is on the deck, he is our strongest tackler and he is prepared to take possession and take the hit in order to force stoppages. No defender in our team handles extreme pressure better. I wish we had TWO RYAN LESTERS!

Last edited:
No suggestion of that at all. I just posed the question. Both are the turnover kings at the moment. And Ashcrofts form is down. Simple factual statements. I didn't propose Wilmot go back, just that if fixed we are better off.

I find it interesting that when McKenna's ordinary form continued, there were many many calls for him to be dropped. Yet Ashcroft hasn't shone, has issues, so I just posed the same question of him. Would he benefit from a confidence builder in the ressies or not?
Ashcroft is doing some great ‘small things’, goal assists, neat little handball gives. McKenna has got to the close your eyes Clanger King stage.

Bit harsh on Ashcroft, I thought this was his best game since he came back. Was actually hitting targets and getting the ball when he should be
Definitely his best game back
Less dump kicks this week
Tbh didn’t notice any.
Last few weeks were a different story though so can agree with berry good there.
The only problem he gives us still is his defensive run when on the wing
Thought he was good in the middle yesterday, added to the mix.
Would still prefer sharp on the wing
Can’t see him getting back in now though, other than injury.

Otherwise what a great game
Everyone here has said pretty much everything.
I do feel for the suns supporters though
Another year and they lack grit and polish and no finals .
Thought they were great yesterday except for king, scoreboard pressure is a thing and they could of had some.

Top four is ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back