Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots to like about the win, but for me it was Lohmann (again) stepping up in the fourth quarter when we needed him. He is building a reputation as a big moment player. You forget that he only broke into the team this year, but yesterday he was one of the senior members of the forward line alongside Joe and Charlie.

Good signs for our defence too, which was the asterisk of our winning streak. We've given up just 20 goals in the last 2 weeks now.

Lots to like about the win, but for me it was Lohmann (again) stepping up in the fourth quarter when we needed him. He is building a reputation as a big moment player. You forget that he only broke into the team this year, but yesterday he was one of the senior members of the forward line alongside Joe and Charlie.

Good signs for our defence too, which was the asterisk of our winning streak. We've given up just 20 goals in the last 2 weeks now.

The game that netted him a full game at AFL level this year was sensational to. Had a great three quarters, but then the game was on the line he stepped up in a big way, both saving goals and kicking clutch goals to win us the game. Ended up the VFL game of the year IMO - high level match between Brisbane and the Pies.

really liked the passage of play in the fourth when daniher was on the wing. had 3 gold coast defenders scragging and holding him but refused to give up and kept contesting the ball, managed to get it forward and hold up play whilst the backup arrived and it ended up with a shot on goal.

Having reviewed most of the game I think some of you guys are being a bit unfair to Ben King, who at least managed to restrict Hippy to 1 goal

Having reviewed most of the game I think some of you guys are being a bit unfair to Ben King, who at least managed to restrict Hippy to 1 goal
When Hippy managed to snag that goal, the ungracious thought of "he's averaging more goals as a defender than a forward" did cross my mind.

(To be clear, and after consulting AFL Tables, Eric averages 1.5 goals a game as a forward and only 1 goal a game as a defender.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really liked the passage of play in the fourth when daniher was on the wing. had 3 gold coast defenders scragging and holding him but refused to give up and kept contesting the ball, managed to get it forward and hold up play whilst the backup arrived and it ended up with a shot on goal.
This. Almost everyone who normally give up or take it easy after a single contest kept playing and trying hard throughout the game. There was a stoppage in 2nd I think when Suns had the ball and were handballing it around, about to break out but Big O or Henry managed to get the hand in and broke the chain. These 1% showed the commitment level of our guys to protect our defense.

It is ironically dark for the ‘Suns’ right now.

I believe Hollow Knight referred to it as an existential-level issue - September up for grabs, big brother missing almost the entire backline, playing on the home deck you’ve built a nice streak on (albeit against weak opposition), and… that performance.

The whole “sun sets on finals hopes” stuff really does write itself.

Suns will be fine. Dimma has been swinging the axe almost every week, it’s clear he’s spent a lot of this season trying to figure out what their best setup is.

Give it a year or two and we will long for the days when we could pencil in 2 wins every year before the season started

Despise that whole "big brother, little brother" crap. They're not our "little brother." They're a club who will not amount to anything & should never have been brought into the league.

Unsure how anyone can have this opinion, the suns are incredibly successful at exactly what the AFL wanted them to be - an investment in grassroots footy in an untapped market. Look at the crowd when you go to a suns game, it’s all kids. Literally building a dedicated fan base from the ground up, give it time.

Plus, not sure how much you follow general sports news, but the suns are doing enough that the NRL is worried. The Dolphins and Magic Round were both quite literally “oh shit we should probably do something to secure Queensland” responses to how popular footy is getting here; in part due to the lions recent success for sure, but also because of how quietly well the suns are doing in an area that is a sporting black hole.

Suns will be fine. Dimma has been swinging the axe almost every week, it’s clear he’s spent a lot of this season trying to figure out what their best setup is.

Give it a year or two and we will long for the days when we could pencil in 2 wins every year before the season started

Oh eventually, no doubt - it’s just a concerning case of history repeating itself again (again [again]).

Some of their supporters need to spend less time criticising our lads, and more time sorting out their own backyard. We were handed to them on a silver platter twice this year, and they couldn’t take advantage.

I don’t harbour any animosity toward them though, it would be good for QLD footy (and in effect us) were they to make it. That, and our 2015-2018 developed my soft spot for strugglers.

Plus, sticking it to the Vic-centric media is always a plus.

Still trying to sort out which players are the 80% of their Premiership team?

Still trying to sort out which players are the 80% of their Premiership team?

Lol, I think he’s in essence right though. Their depth is quite impressive, every time they have a debutant they generally play quite well.

I think it just will be a matter of figuring out who you put around their spine to maximise their output; because they might just have the best spine in the league in the next couple years. B: Collins/Andrew, M: Rowell/Anderson/Flanders, Moyle a decent ruck (and Read coming through), F: King/Walter.

Unsure how anyone can have this opinion, the suns are incredibly successful at exactly what the AFL wanted them to be - an investment in grassroots footy in an untapped market. Look at the crowd when you go to a suns game, it’s all kids. Literally building a dedicated fan base from the ground up, give it time.

Plus, not sure how much you follow general sports news, but the suns are doing enough that the NRL is worried. The Dolphins and Magic Round were both quite literally “oh shit we should probably do something to secure Queensland” responses to how popular footy is getting here; in part due to the lions recent success for sure, but also because of how quietly well the suns are doing in an area that is a sporting black hole.

Went to a couple games last year and yeah there’s so many kids there compared to a lions game. They are basically the first batch of kids to grow up with Gold Coast even existing. Have to wait until they grow up and have their own families and then that’s when the base starts to grow more.

I’m in a family of four with a dad who switched from supporting a big vic club to the Bears, now there’s four extra members just from that. No doubt we will all eventually be taking any kids we may have to the footy as well considering we rarely miss a home game.

They are doing well off the field and will be even better when on field success follows. SEQ sports fans can be quite fair weather at times so will jump on the Suns when they eventually get going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back