Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. Simmo preaches contested game as his branding.

Schofield seems to be preaching edge as his branding.

While branding doesn't matter since it's just words. Let's hope it seeps into style of play and identity. Let's hope it continues and we become the unsocialable wce.

Extra Mayo's on tackles may incentives our lazy players to attack players and actually tackle.

Half their post game thread is dedicated to him, but yeah he's not in their heads hey greatwhiteshark
In fairness to the purple's, it's not just them. The Hawthorn supporter in front of me at Optus a few weeks ago had a form of violent Tourette's any time he went near the ball, came back on the ground from the interchange etc.

Hell, he is even living rent free in Kaneo's head as well.

Good on the lad. He appears to be loving it for now. Hopefully it doesn't go too far as it almost always does.

It's good that the likes of Rotham, Trew and Culley are getting games because you can see who actually has a future in the league.

Rotham is done. He has 1 okay game every 10. The other 9 are poor. He's just not afl standard. Delist

Culley will be given another week or 2 id imagine but he's simply too slow and doesn't have a strong part of his game to offset his slowness e.g. strong marker, great kick etc. Doesn't have a future at afl, especially in midfield

Trew looks ok but is prone to concussion. Not sure if he will be given another go in 2025 unless he comes back and performs decently in the last 3 games
Agree with rotham. He has had plenty of opportunity and has for whatever reason failed to step up.

i dont know if this is true, but apparently the rookie lists are going to increase? if so this may see us retain culley & trew.

Lol, Petch was running in a straight line and Lurch fell to his knees and ran into him.

Club better appeal.
Petch's mistake was throwing his arms up after the contact. That was enough admission of guilt for the AFL to hand out the ban.

The fact that he had every right to contest the ball and not expect that big oaf to fall into him is besides the point.

IMG_9741.jpeg

Nice to see some Tom Cole love. If the whole team has Cole’s ticker, we’d be untouchable.

Interesting. Simmo preaches contested game as his branding.

Schofield seems to be preaching edge as his branding.

While branding doesn't matter since it's just words. Let's hope it seeps into style of play and identity. Let's hope it continues and we become the unsocialable wce.

Extra Mayo's on tackles may incentives our lazy players to attack players and actually tackle.
i liked what i saw - i recall even Kelly making a ripping tackle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How on earth did Kelly getting 2.5x the amount of contested touches as yeo if he was playing soft hahaha
I don't think you understand what a contested possession actually means.

Contested Possession: A possession which has been won when the ball is in dispute. Includes looseball-gets, hardball-gets, contested marks, gathers from a hitout and frees for.

Looseball-Get: A disputed ball at ground level not under direct physical pressure that results in an opportunity to record a legal disposal.

View attachment 2062697

Nice to see some Tom Cole love. If the whole team has Cole’s ticker, we’d be untouchable.

Sadly most of the team has Tom Cole’s inability to defend and problems in hitting targets.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As a Freo supporter, sitting in the Western stand behind the goals my impression was as follows:

Mids
Yeo and Kelly were the best of your lot this match. I thought Reid played a bit of a selfish game. There were several moments he could have given a quick handball to Yeo or Kelly who were breaking forward of stoppage and he didn’t. Went the don’t argue instead, which looks cool but breaks down the handball chain. He’ll get there in time, but he’s not playing team footy at the moment. Why didnt Hunt spend more time onball? You guys are missing Elijah Hewitt, need more class. Shame he’s injured. I would think you 2-3 more young class in the centre quartet to replace Yeo / Kelly.
Hey rgauci,

Thanks for the lengthy and friendly post. This bit stood out a bit to me initially as it didn't reflect what I saw at all during the game.

We have a poster (Alesana) who goes through and creates post-game snips of player's complete involvement in games so I went back to see Reid's plays and I would struggle to find any instance that can be considered him doing anything unnecessary in terms of trying to break tackles.

Watching the highlights it is more evident how quick the Dockers pressured all of his possessions and where others would get wrapped up for a ball-up Reid manages to still dispose of the ball.

I think some people have pre-conceived ideas and this can be exaggerated depending on the company you keep, for example sitting amongst the crowd at a Fremantle home derby might distort things, as would any pre-conceived ideas of what Reid is like and his desire to be the man. I'm not saying this is you but these sorts of views can be influenced by outside noise, other fans, media etc.

During Alesana's video there is a moment at 1:15 where he has an outside handball to Hunt but he opts for the long kick, he hits it to Petruccelle's advantage despite being tackled but the mark is dropped, I have no issue with this direct play but passing to Hunt would have been a perfectly fine option here as well.

At 1:23 he is run down by Switkowski from behind, he can either pump it long here or go a little kick behind Maric who is behind his man on the wing to make him run back onto it, but this is only on the assumption he knew Switkowski was coming which he didn't. This isn't a broken tackle attempt just a great rundown tackle that happens during games.

4:12 he is run down by Serong, the ball spills in the direction towards Serong and away from Yeo, time to handball here is between miniscule and none, he has to brace for impact. Petruccelle is covered by Clark but this could have been an option to make it someone else's problem. Alternatively he could have tried to punch it forward in front of Yeo and not taken possession but this has other risk involved.

4:44 he brushes Serong off in a tackle, Yeo is running past in the same direction but passes him at the exact time that Serong has a hold of Reid's arm (you can see it if you freeze frame), he has to hold the ball or risk illegal disposal. Reid also doesn't know that Serong has fallen over and giving to Yeo could be selling Yeo into trouble here, he breaks the tackle anyway so it's not an issue. If he was to give to Yeo here it would not have been on the original pass-by but after the tackle had slipped, which was to his back and out of his vision once he had turned. Still this would have worked out well as there was another player out wider from Yeo.

5:43 he comes into a group of about 3 players, he has to reach forward to grab the spill so he needs to move forwards here, he has Ryan out wide, the handball would have had to have been looped to avoid the smother and Brandon Walker is waiting to intercept. This one is 50/50, there's not much time at all here and he's moving into Wagner and Jackson so there isn't much he can do, perhaps a bouncing handball out to Ryan which would be unexpected but hard to gather and deliver in this short time frame again without risking illegal disposal by the arm being chopped mid-handball.

Generally Reid's not just a good disposer of the ball but he's an exceptional decision maker from what I have seen.

This isn't to say that he won't make mistakes in the future or try to do too much during games but the Eagles kind of need him to do that and be that guy.

I just don't want people to get the wrong idea with Reid and run away with this idea he is selfish or burning his teammates, he rarely burns anyone without some reason and I'd back him in to make the right choice more often than not under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back