Preview Round 20 - Essendon VS St Kilda - Marvel - Saturday 27/7/24 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Essendon’s season is hanging by a single thread, an all too familiar position, as we look at another mid-table finish we crawl to 8th place if we’re lucky for our traditional Elim Final spanking. Round 20 sees us go against St Kilda, a side that is also struggling, but has put up some strong performances lately, including a recent victory against ladder leader Swans.

And like a lot of you.. I’m struggling to care. This season for me is now an absolute disaster. Another season fade, another mid-range first-round pick (which we’ll probably have to use for Kako instead of having a good first-round pick and Kako).. Still too scared to be truly shit enough to ever get ourselves out of mediocrity… (Probably should have learnt that after Hardwick was proven correct when he said we need to bottom out eh?) Too scared to trade underperforming players because of how they might perform at other teams.. Too scared to actually get rid of one of the key people responsible for the state of the list.. 🧥🧥🧥

AD_4nXfaN5TF4EGLK1HdTIPy9nenA4y-3zOXinRoN1B_uuuxVr2mtysUR7-96tEoZWAx3TF9JewZpSV1L6ZfjcEHkvh0-Bwf1efR47I9-_BQPBh6ygKSdmCVdeb4Owrvs31jN0x9E-R9zJgYgIuaV4Di0P7u3i9q

It’s ok. The Essendon Marketing Club is gearing up for a big October/November. That’s when we really shine.

The Round Before The Round That Was

Pathetic but not unexpected. Once again, completely wasted a strong start, 8 Goals in a row in the second, a ****en joke. The fightback in the 3rd was good to see, but that last 5 minutes highlighted Essendon to a tee, and the poster boy for Essington is Kyle Langford, who once again showed that he is the epitome of our spongy, soft mentality, as once again he had a chance to ice/win a game a missed, that 3 games this year he is essentially cost us in the last.. Caddy showing signs of being an Essington Superstar in the last too.

AD_4nXchMKd2y7xB4Xy9inJqnn7iYsH0JorlmsmZIOa38x3MFdrpZ6nz3K36_zpc_A69k-iGznoPtU5VFB4X4xPr__6oHvaYN4r-biCWWY4Ld1rlKb1a2mxOB_qIB7el63oWkpNWjhQTuzt4n9XJNz9d5UdoGrya

Oh and Adelaide were down to two on the bench and had to use their sub early in the game. Luckily we had a super sub, whose first CBA resulted in his direct opposition player at that stoppage setting up an easy goal after Perkins lost touch and then made no effort to chase or pressure him, but jogged on the spot for a bit instead.

ESSENDON 3.2 7.5 15.8 17.11 (113)
ADELAIDE 2.3 11.4 13.10 17.12 (115)

GOALS
Essendon: Cox 3, Jones 2, Caddy 2, Langford 2, Gresham 2, Durham, Stringer, Draper, Caldwell, Merrett, Redman
Adelaide: Keays 5, Fogarty 4, Rachele 3, Thilthorpe 2, Dowling, Taylor, Berry
BEST
Essendon: Redman, Merrett, Durham, Langford, McKay, Cox
Adelaide: Keays, Laird, Fogarty, Hinge, Soligo
INJURIES
Essendon: Caldwell (head knock)
Adelaide: Murray (left knee), Butts (left foot), Dawson (head knock)
SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Archie Perkins (replaced Jye Caldwell in the fourth quarter)
Adelaide: Brayden Cook (replaced Nick Murray at quarter-time)
Crowd: 36,020 at Marvel Stadium

Might update this with the Saint Game if I remember, but I probably won’t as I’ll be switching off from Football for the rest of the weekend.

The Last Time We Met

Round 3 saw us beat St Kilda by a mere 4 Points which was greatly assisted by St Kilda’s inaccuracy, who kicked 8 Goal 12 to ¾ time. If it was 12 Goals 8, than the game was already won for them. (There's a real ****en sliding doors moment, Barret, you jackass!)

ESSENDON 3.1 5.3 8.5 10.11 (71)
ST KILDA 4.4 6.8 8.12 9.13 (67)

GOALS
Essendon: Stringer 3, Langford 3, Jones 2, McGrath, Duursma
St Kilda: Higgins 3, Caminiti 2, Sinclair, Ross, Owens, Butler

BEST
Essendon: Martin, Duursma, Merrett, Parish, Langford
St Kilda: Ross, Steele, Hill, Marshall, Higgins, Bonner

INJURIES
Essendon: Durham (concussion)
St Kilda: Nil

LATE CHANGES
Essendon: Will Setterfield (knee soreness) replaced by Harrison Jones
St Kilda: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Sam Durham in the third quarter)
St Kilda: Angus Hastie (replaced Cooper Sharman at three-quarter time)

Crowd: 44,412 at Marvel Stadium

The Selection Table

Possible Outs -
Perkins -
Menzies
Goldstein -
Kelly/Lav - Make Ridley defend. He has been shit the last 4 weeks.. Don’t believe the stats. We’ve been so much worse at defending in the transition since he is back.. Not saying it’s all him, but something’s amiss.
Caldwell - (They said he was ok, but he looked sore too)

Possible Ins (Will asses after the VFL gam.. Oh for ****s sake)
Roberts -
Hobbs -
Lewis -
ADJ -
Wanganeen -

Oh wait.. this is where I put what I think will happen not what I want nor think should happen.

Possible Ins -
Heppell
Wright
Hind

My Prediction - Less than 25k at the game.. Brad won’t survive the duration of his contract, 9th place finish for this “infinitely better than last year” team.

Oh you mean the game,
St Kilda by 16 - Too shit to smash us.

Last edited:
Out: Laverde, Stringer, goldy, perkins, Menzies.

In: Roberts, hobbs, setterfield, byran, davey.

Ridley to play kpd and Martin or mcgrath as the loose instead.

Just not sure what message it sends Wright if we bring him straight back in. Would want to kick 5 or crunch some blokes in the vfl.

Draper and Jones as the 2nd key forward, with langford as well that is enough. I'd swap draper for Wright the following week if draper is poor again. Also shiel is probably gone anyway but give him a chance to showcase his skills for his likely suitor and then he can plays 2s when parish is ready.

Out: Laverde, Stringer, goldy, perkins, Menzies.

In: Roberts, hobbs, setterfield, byran, davey.

Ridley to play kpd and Martin or mcgrath as the loose instead.

Just not sure what message it sends Wright if we bring him straight back in. Would want to kick 5 or crunch some blokes in the vfl.

Draper and Jones as the 2nd key forward, with langford as well that is enough. I'd swap draper for Wright the following week if draper is poor again. Also shiel is probably gone anyway but give him a chance to showcase his skills for his likely suitor and then he can plays 2s when parish is ready.

To Wright?

Probably that we made a mistake because he had a poor game in the wet and he should never have been dropped

To Wright?

Probably that we made a mistake because he had a poor game in the wet and he should never have been[QUOTE="jdstorm, post:

Nah was dropped due to few uncompetitive contests/efforts. Definitely part of long term but just not sure it is the right message to playing group to just bring him in after 1 week. Short term pain for longer term gain.

Our season is cooked now anyway.

Starting to not care but anyway...

OUT: Caldwell, Perkins, Stringer, Goldy
IN: Setterfield, Hobbs, Hind, 2MP

Ridley McKay Lav
Martin Redman McGrath
Cox Merrett Duursma
Menzie Jones Gresham
Langford 2MP Caddy

Draper Durham Hobbs

Bench: Setterfield Shiel Hind Kelly
SUB: Guelfi

I can already preempt next week's losing presser by Scott.

We didn't have a structural issue, it was more an execution issue. The comp is so even, anyone can beat anyone on any day, that's what the AFL wants. I won't be seeking clarification from the AFL over the umpires, they are doing the best with what they have it's an incredibly difficult game to officiate. Dyson has been a great of this club better still he's a great person. We don't value the scoreboard as an Indicator of our success , it's more about where we are and where we are going. Wins and losses are just the immediate results of temporary execution. Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loss Vs crom pretty much ended our season we lose this it’s 100% done.

Our season was over long ago.

These warning signs were in the table when we barely beat 3 of the shittest teams in the comp 8-10 weeks ago.

We are frauds and we are exposed as such.

Caldwell gives us that much brute in the middle that his absence may not be able to be covered, as well as Hobbs may try.

Brad chose two rucks for OBrien. I don't think he chooses one ruck for Marshall. That will be an issue.

Not confident we'll win. I think it will be either an even contest or we'll get rolled. I will be satisfied with a fighting loss if it must be a loss.

We have so many gaps on the list. Such is a rebuild.

Caldwell gives us that much brute in the middle that his absence may not be able to be covered, as well as Hobbs may try.

Brad chose two rucks for OBrien. I don't think he chooses one ruck for Marshall. That will be an issue.

Not confident we'll win. I think it will be either an even contest or we'll get rolled. I will be satisfied with a fighting loss if it must be a loss.

We have so many gaps on the list. Such is a rebuild.

Only Just waking up and seen no media but didn't Caldwell pass his hia test?

What I want

Out: Goldstein (omit), Kelly (omit), Perkins (omit) and Caldwell (inj)

In: Wright, Roberts, Davey Jr and Hobbs

What we will get

Out: Goldstein (manage) and Caldwell (inj)

In: Wright and Heppell

Time to cut the fat and boot the passengers.

possible outs - Draper, Stringer, Menzie, Kelly, Perkins and one of Guelfi or Gresham

ins - Hobbs, Setterfield, J. Davey, Roberts, Wright, Tsatsas

likely changes -
out - Guelfi (inj), Menzie
in - hind, heppell

B McGrath McKay Redman
HB Hind Laverde Ridley
C Duursma Durham Martin
HF Langford Jones Merrett
F A Davey Caddy Stringer
R Draper Caldwell Shiel
INT Guelfi Cox J Davey Gresham
SUB Hobbs