Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

One negative that people dont want to talk about is Tim Kelly and is absolutely putrid disposal + defensive efforts. Gotta ask the question. Is this guy not running around with the same weaknesses Dom Sheed has?

Kellys first half of the season was okay at best but last half of the season his defensive efforts and ball burning has been at a all time high. I think we gotta start playing him in other positions. He needs to spend more time on the wing and HFF in the next few years so others can develop. If he cant play HFF/Wing then we may as well just play Dom Sheed at this rate. Sheeds disposal is slightly better

Someone gotta play that shit wing role. I just dont think Clay Hall or Chesser is the player to do it. This is the time for the older players to put some big boy pants on and take one for the team. A combination of Tom Cole, Jamie Cripps, Liam Duggan and whoever plays next week besides Alex Witherden should be playing the wing role.
I'd like our wings to be Maric and Hutchinson for the rest of the year, with stints from Duggan or Cole to cover them.

Maric seems able to find some touches each game and Hutch seems to be around it a little bit while up the ground.

I'd have liked Witho to do the role earlier in the year, but prefer he's dropped now tbh

One negative that people dont want to talk about is Tim Kelly and is absolutely putrid disposal + defensive efforts. Gotta ask the question. Is this guy not running around with the same weaknesses Dom Sheed has?

Kellys first half of the season was okay at best but last half of the season his defensive efforts and ball burning has been at a all time high. I think we gotta start playing him in other positions. He needs to spend more time on the wing and HFF in the next few years so others can develop. If he cant play HFF/Wing then we may as well just play Dom Sheed at this rate. Sheeds disposal is slightly better
Kelly at hff from round 1 next year imo.

I'd like our wings to be Maric and Hutchinson for the rest of the year, with stints from Duggan or Cole to cover them.

Maric seems able to find some touches each game and Hutch seems to be around it a little bit while up the ground.

I'd have liked Witho to do the role earlier in the year, but prefer he's dropped now tbh
My next post was going to say, lets put Ryan Maric in defense til end of year and see what happens. Put him in the Rotham role lets see what occurs

Dont mind Hutch to play a wing. He has the fitness and work ethic to give it a go

My next post was going to say, lets put Ryan Maric in defense til end of year and see what happens. Put him in the Rotham role lets see what occurs

Dont mind Hutch to play a wing. He has the fitness and work ethic to give it a go
I dont think we need a 3rd tall for the rest of the year tbh. Let Ginbey be that 3rd I guess.

North have Larkey + Teakle
Carlton Curnow and McKay
Geelong Cameron and Neale. Henry is a medium size that Ginbey could handle

I dont think we need a 3rd tall for the rest of the year tbh. Let Ginbey be that 3rd I guess.

North have Larkey + Teakle
Carlton Curnow and McKay
Geelong Cameron and Neale. Henry is a medium size that Ginbey could handle
North have Comben too up forward. Happy for Maric to play on Teakle.
For Carlton he has no matchup. Maybe gotta go on wing for that one in hindsight
For Geelong i was thinking Ollie Henry. Henry plays too deep for me to want Ginbey on him. Put Ginbey at HB more

I think we look tougher in the darker guernsey.

Anyone got footage of the so called Harley suspension worthy tackle?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Totally agree - the navy kit looks harder, professional, like we mean business!
The other blue is okay if you're going to a Wiggles party with rainbow sprinkles and fairy bread? :rolleyes:

But what a great win, haven't been that vocal towards the TV for a long time!
In those last 5 minutes of pressing, you could sense we were going to run over them and snap a snag!

Last edited:
Heres a random negative

Ben King coming back on the field. I was appauled by that. The concussion test should be used as a guide, not the 100% decision. He got knocked out. He stays off. The end. Him passing a test 15 minutes later shouldnt mean we just flat out ignore the fact he couldnt move and barely walk beforehand

If Ben King can come on after that hit, I dont think AFL is really taking concussion seriously still

When Kelly's streaming forward and kicks inside 50 I look away and swear as soon as the ball leaves his foot because I know it's hitting a defender on the chest.
His decision making is also terrible when he is running inside 50. 100% of the time he will burn the first option since he doesnt react fast enough and that then leaves him trying to hit up the 2nd/poorer option. His disposal is terrible but his decision making is arguably the worst part of all. He constantly burns his teammates because he doesnt take the first option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best thing about Ginbeys game today was just how well he read the play. A fair few times I saw him basically sprinting into position knowing where the ball was going next. Only player ive seen be able to read the play that well up the ground in the AFL at the moment is Tom Stewart.

Im happy to leave Ginbey at HB for rest of his career if this is the impact he can have in that spot. Not every top 10 pick has to be a midfielder. A All Australian half back at pick 9 is just fine with me

A long term quality player at 9 is the goal, not the position they play.

People get far too carried away with the idea that anyone in the top 10 in the draft should be an elite mid like there's not 15 other positions on the ground.

We looked far better when j Williams rucked. Didn’t win taps but witts couldn’t do what he wanted. He is having a much bigger impact than b Williams. This week against north, who don’t have 2xruckmen will be interesting (whether Bailey plays).

Was telling, when the game was on the line in the last 10 min of the 3rd and the 1st 10min of the 4th JWill was the main guy taking the centre bounce rucks. I think BWill was on the bench for most of this time (from where I sit I can't see the bench, but couldn't spot him on field at the time).

It looks like Schoey agrees, and If/when English arrives, it may be the end of the line for BWill.

Was telling, when the game was on the line in the last 10 min of the 3rd and the 1st 10min of the 4th JWill was the main guy taking the centre bounce rucks. I think BWill was on the bench for most of this time (from where I sit I can't see the bench, but couldn't spot him on field at the time).

It looks like Schoey agrees, and If/when English arrives, it may be the end of the line for BWill.
He was and then when BWill came on it is when Gold Coast kicked 2 goals to push out to a lead before 3QT...

To me it was the end of the Bailey Williams ruck experiment in front of us.

Best thing about Ginbeys game today was just how well he read the play. A fair few times I saw him basically sprinting into position knowing where the ball was going next. Only player ive seen be able to read the play that well up the ground in the AFL at the moment is Tom Stewart.

Im happy to leave Ginbey at HB for rest of his career if this is the impact he can have in that spot. Not every top 10 pick has to be a midfielder. A All Australian half back at pick 9 is just fine with me
Also gives him opportunity to use his top end pace. He isn’t really the quickest off the mark so in tight his athleticism is limited.

I’d compare him to a Tom Green paced player in close, and if he doesn’t have the ball winning of Green then he doesn’t have much going for him in the middle.

Off half back his reading of the play was exceptional and he had the space to get moving. Could definitely see him following a Dawson or Hodge career path.

People get far too carried away with the idea that anyone in the top 10 in the draft should be an elite mid like there's not 15 other positions on the ground.
Whilst I agree and Ginbey looked amazing last night....it's a bit of a worry that our recruiters see and draft a midfielder where there isn't one.

North have Comben too up forward. Happy for Maric to play on Teakle.
For Carlton he has no matchup. Maybe gotta go on wing for that one in hindsight
For Geelong i was thinking Ollie Henry. Henry plays too deep for me to want Ginbey on him. Put Ginbey at HB more
Oh yeah I forgot about Comben.
I'd prefer Maric to stay to his wing for the last 3 games tbh. I liked Ginbey in that role.
If Ginbey is on Teakle he can try to abuse that matchup and run off Teakle.
Put Barrass and Gov on Comben and Larkey

We have a lot of half backs and not many wingers in the side.
He should practice being a 3rd tall in the off-season though for sure even if he's only depth in case of injuries

If Ginbey turned into a taller faster Andy McGrath thatd be a huge win, thats what he reminded me of watching him last night anyway.
A running half back is exactly what we needed too.

If they're just coming into the main side to play the shit wing role Chesser was lumped with all year then maybe they're better off in the WAFL.

I'd have had no issues with them playing more games, as I said to you before it's been since Simmo is gone that they've gotten more games. I dont know why you're trying to use that against what I said, if they're performing well they'll get games
They should have gotten a much longer run of games earlier in the year. Why do you think they all have suddenly been selected once Simmo left.

I’m pretty sure halls game yesterday was more valuable than a game in the wafl.

Hall keep him in the side not the sub tho for the rest of year.
Tyrell is Liam Ryan replacement. If he can kick 2 with 7 touches he will be something special.
Harvey Johnston same as hall keep him in the side not as the sub get games in to these fellas and we will have something.

They should have gotten a much longer run of games earlier in the year. Why do you think they all have suddenly been selected once Simmo left.

I’m pretty sure halls game yesterday was more valuable than a game in the wafl.
The players are being selected after decent games now though, which was the original point you were picking at.

At the start of the year the wafl team was not great, and nobody was playing well outside Trew who couldn't break into a midfield that was full.

Trying to bring in selection integrity was very important to try to get players to perform.
Simmo probably just wasn't ruthless enough going about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back