Autopsy Round 22, 2021 | Autopsy vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah mate, because we lost. You know, the thing you are trying NOT to do when you play a competitive game of footy.
I stated my reasons for not being happy with how we are going in the GDT, so excuse me if losing doesn't exactly reassure me. Especially with how happy a lot on here are about finishing last for the first time in nearly 50 years.
No need to be an idiot
People aren’t happy to finish last
However we need talent and we get Pick 1….which will assist in winning future games by raising the skill level

no idea what you are carrying on about

if we can do things right we might have a team of contenders in 2023

1628946195736.jpeg

Ford was good
Zurhaar was good
Larkey was solid
was nice to see Comben get a goal

I felt that was probably one of the worst efforts from our defensive group. Was probably McKay and Tarrants poorest game in the second half when it comes to killing the high inside 50 ball. We dropped a lot of easy marks, played on and missed targets, lazy kicks where the ball didn't make the distance from 20m away, which is sign of low confidence.

Swans pressure was good, particularly in the first half, guys like Ziebell who blind kick with high hang time kicks that don't even clear the 50m arc are just a liability in these games when there was the option to just take the tackle and force a stoppage. I think 3/4 of the goals they kicked in the first half were due to our turnovers.

Hall and Ziebell have been good for us in terms of rebounding but tonight was pretty poor with a lot of missed passes.

We need some more quality down back who isn't going to shit themselves under pressure.

Not happy with some of the defensive efforts of players like Stephenson, zero effective tackles. If you can't lay a tackle then don't fall back to play defensive rolls because people running through you just hurts our defensive structure.

Our two highest tacklers was Phillips and Zurhaar with 5 tackles, one a kid who's nuts have only just dropped and another a forward, if you are around the ball all game and you can't lay more tackles than a kid or a forward then I question your desire to do the hard defensive work.

We really missed Cunners in a game like this, there is a bit too much variance in the output of our other mids.

What I 'require' is for my football team to not be sh*t. I just honestly don't understand how anyone (despite our minor improvement) can look at these results and say "yep I'm happy with this". I know where we are at, I've come to terms with it despite hoping otherwise. But the cognitive dissonance of some on here that can see us finish dead last but at the same time have this notion that we are somehow better than we actually are is just baffling.

I think it’s pretty clear that despite finishing 18th, we have some pretty important pillars in place, hence the optimism.

Our list is now regarded as one of the best young groups in the competition (adding pick 1 to that). We have a very respected coach in his first season. We have a clear direction around both list and game plan.

In previous years, we have finished 9th without any of those three things.

We tried the mid table, “improving” on the run option. It did not work.

Call me crazy, but I know what I prefer.

It’s Tarrant or Ziebell I reckon. We’re too slow back there.

Agree . Was obvious leading into this game and moving forward. Does the club have the kahunas to make the call on one or both though? Jack has had a lot of kudos this year but as you mention it is pretty obvious that if we want to be a better team, that back six make up has to change

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He looked like he got hurt very early, in the game

He got tackled, and his leg buckled. Got up grimacing.

Seemed to soldier on, like a tough bastard.

I might be wrong.

I think we expect too much from Goldy, to be honest. When he just breaks even with an opponent, we’re inclined to say he was flogged. For mine, he was battling manfully against the tide in the first half when a lot of our players were completely ineffectual. He ran his heart out and shaded the overall ruck battle in the end - in my view.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was sick of not knowing what to feel that game.

Win.
Don't win.
Get close but lose.
Stuff it I want blood.
Nah valiant loss is best.

Probably a good result. We didn't bow down and came out in the second half.

Boys could have easily said well we are 31 down and been all half assed about it.

Looking back we've been through too much pain this year to not deserve a crack at potential gun at #1.

As an aside, I think the biggest hole in our list is a ruckman post Goldie.

He's been absolutely unbelievable for so long but games like tonight will become more frequent next year. 33 yr old rucks hit the wall very quickly.

Xerri is an honest tryer but not our next 10yr ruck, TC obviously a stop gap journeyman.

I'd be astonished if we're not already neck deep into luring another ruck I.e. Chol.

No need to be an idiot
People aren’t happy to finish last
However we need talent and we get Pick 1….which will assist in winning future games by raising the skill level

no idea what you are carrying on about

if we can do things right we might have a team of contenders in 2023

Mate, we have TWELVE first round draft picks in our best 22. Top end talent is not our issue.

Yes , although i hate finishing last as I put in another post , its not the same as it once was. Now you receive the best young player . There are no guarantees that bottoming out will give us a flag but we tried the being competitive for many years, some years we needed too . But now we want the best young talent and hopefully this system gets us the success we require.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s pretty clear that despite finishing 18th, we have some pretty important pillars in place, hence the optimism.

Our list is now regarded as one of the best young groups in the competition (adding pick 1 to that). We have a very respected coach in his first season. We have a clear direction around both list and game plan.

In previous years, we have finished 9th without any of those three things.

We tried the mid table, “improving” on the run option. It did not work.

Call me crazy, but I know what I prefer.

I don't want mid table. I want top 4 and finals.

Rebuilding and potential can be (and are often) used as excuses for underperforming, and we had plenty of underperforming under Scotts.

As you said, we have the talent, we have the plan. So why do so many feel the need to celebrate us coming last?

What a perfect ending.
Turnaround from half time.
Combens goal.
Ford's game.
Lots to take out of the game.
Secured pick one.

Shame on Razor and all of you campaigners in the game day thread that cried like pathetic gimps, and targeted individual players.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Didn’t realise this was a fanboi site. Honest opinion should be welcomed, I’d have thought. Or do you imagine we should all be lining up to applaud every player in a team that’s won our first wooden spoon in 50 years? Clearly there’s some major deficiencies in the line-up - and I’ve no problem with posters pointing them out.

Agree . Was obvious leading into this game and moving forward. Does the club have the kahunas to make the call on one or both though? Jack has had a lot of kudos this year but as you mention it is pretty obvious that if we want to be a better team, that back six make up has to change

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We’ll soon find out. I’d be surprised if don’t.

Was sick of not knowing what to feel that game.

Win.
Don't win.
Get close but lose.
Stuff it I want blood.
Nah valiant loss is best.

Probably a good result. We didn't bow down and came out in the second half.

Boys could have easily said well we are 31 down and been all half assed about it.

Looking back we've been through too much pain this year to not deserve a crack at potential gun at #1.
As long as we go in hard and beat the crows next week I’m happy

I think we expect too much from Goldy, to be honest. When he just breaks even with an opponent, we’re inclined to say he was flogged. For mine, he was battling manfully against the tide in the first half when a lot of our players were completely ineffectual. He ran his heart out and shaded the overall ruck battle in the end - in my view.

Good call. At times early he was playing as our only midfielder. Chasing and contesting the ball on the ground. The others were invisible in that first half.

I don't want mid table. I want top 4 and finals.

Rebuilding and potential can be (and are often) used as excuses for underperforming, and we had plenty of underperforming under Scotts.

As you said, we have the talent, we have the plan. So why do so many feel the need to celebrate us coming last?

I can’t speak for others, but I’m not celebrating finishing last. However, getting the best 18 year old in the country is a nice consolation for the best performing 18th placed side this century (if we beat Adelaide).

I don’t just want top 4 and finals. I want to win a flags.

To get flags you need elite list, coach & overall strategy. We aren’t elite in any of these three areas yet, but blind Freddy could see that all three areas are in a good place, despite our ladder position.

I’m honestly more comfortable with these three areas now, then I have been in the last decade. I think that says a lot about both where we are now & where we’ve been the last 10 years.

I thought LMAC was really unlucky to be pinged when we were 4 points down. It led directly to Sydney’s “settler” goal. His momentum just carried him into the tackle. I thought it should have been a ball-up.

Razor said he ducked his head.. fickwit. What the hell does that even have to do with paying the HTB anyway. The little maggot even did the ducking motion as he paid it. He wasn’t tackled high so why even mention it.

A wooden spoon would be tough for a North kid to deal with but reading adults melting about it is astounding.

We have tried all the other options since 1999 and they have bitterly failed.

If this is the equalisation course we need to take then so be it.

For each of those 12 first round picks we have that are maturing there are the high picks leaving at the other end from across the league this year, next year and so in, that eventually those 12 plus this years lot become the list that is doing exceedingly well in 3-4 years time.

We all know this and there’s been glimpses this second half of the year that given time will become four quarters.

This game will only be remembered when Chom is discussing his first game (that North Media captured so well) at the peak or end of his career.

I can’t speak for others, but I’m not celebrating finishing last. However, getting the best 18 year old in the country is a nice consolation for the best performing 18th placed side this century (if we beat Adelaide).

I don’t just want top 4 and finals. I want to win a flags.

To get flags you need elite list, coach & overall strategy. We aren’t elite in any of these three areas yet, but blind Freddy could see that all three areas are in a good place, despite our ladder position.

I’m honestly more comfortable with these three areas now, then I have been in the last decade. I think that says a lot about both where we are now & where we’ve been the last 10 years.

It should go without saying that I want flags... But top 4 (I guess not so much these days) and finals are obviously pre-requisites for winning flags.

I've seen this story play out before. Battling team with some promising kids has a few morale building wins towards the end of the season or generally shows some decent form, the expectation and hype builds, only for them to remain battlers the next season.
For some it seems a foregone conclusion that wont happen because it's 'different' for us. Perhaps they are right, but I just think we still have a lot of work to do to get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2021 | Autopsy vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back